Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517545 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3200 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »
Works for me, a couple of high pressure punctures fixed OK so far
Cafe latex.....

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3201 on: 17 July, 2018, 08:41:08 am »

« Reply #3202 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:27:44 pm »
By my reckoning, Grey Sheep is just 1 point away from hitting the century. Congratulations will be in order soon, I suspect.

I wonder if he's seen how easy it is to accumulate points on the flat, and will challenge himself with more vertical targets next year.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3203 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:49:05 am »
Chequer Mates

Well, doesn't a bit of nice weather bring out the crowds.

On my ride over I felt a whooshing of air pass me and then heard the rattle of an expensive freehub as the rider in front slowed down and waved, it was NMDP trying to fit in a quick 30 miles in the hour he had before the pub.  I soon put paid to that particular plan as he felt obligated to ride at my speed and chat. 

We arrived at the pub to find Bungle and Elliot Ness already well established talking to special guest star Able Seaman Goldstein off of the Navy Lark.  The Witham peloton hove into view shortly afterwards, adding Huggy, the Hustler, Jem, the Lynx, Hotblack and Davy Jones.  Tomsk snuck in just behind them to complete our gathering. 

After the usual first hour of trying to wind up the Lynx, we turned to the important task of persuading Huggy to ride PBP again.  His current position appears to be that he is keen to do so and even start with the 84 hour group - but doesn't fancy the idea of having to ride a 600 to qualify.  No, we couldn't work out the logic either.  It will be interesting to see how many of us make it from discussing it in the pub to the starting pen in St Quentin.  With Huggy's thought leadership qualities on board it could be a decent number.

The Chequers has a limited selection of ales (there's only so much room for beer when you have a Great Dane padding around) but they are well kept.  Timothy Taylor's Landlord took the Quaffers' Choice by default because it won last time.  Personally, I would have given it to the Carlsberg.

It was still balmy and calm when we left the pub.  Not that you would have known that from the Witham peloton.  At least three of them were wearing their ACME winter tops with summer jerseys below.  That combination was warm in January never mind July.  Even Tomsk was pulling on arm warmers as he set off.  It turned out to be an extremely pleasant ride home and I was perfectly toasty with a lightweight summer jersey and my (sockless !) sandals.  Last night really brought home that we probably haven't done enough longer outings over the period of the lighter evenings this year but there's still time.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3204 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:59:19 am »
...we turned to the important task of persuading Huggy to ride PBP again.  His current position appears to be that he is NOT keen to do so and even start with but if it were to ever happen the 84 hour group is worth considering - but doesn't fancy the idea of having to ride a 600 to qualify.  No, we couldn't work out the logic either.  It will be interesting to see how many of us make it from discussing it in the pub to the starting pen in St Quentin.  With Huggy's thought leadership qualities on board it could be a decent number.
I think you have wilfully misinterpreted my comments, FTFY.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3205 on: 20 July, 2018, 07:01:09 am »
Bivvy Night was discussed at our end of the gathering - looking at August dates, there aren't may Friday/Saturdays when I'm free; September likewise, so October might be a better option? East Mersea seems to be a popular choice of venue.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3206 on: 20 July, 2018, 09:12:36 pm »
Bivvy Night was discussed at our end of the gathering - looking at August dates, there aren't may Friday/Saturdays when I'm free; September likewise, so October might be a better option? East Mersea seems to be a popular choice of venue.

Certainly offshore seems like a great idea - though I was hoping to take advantage of the August weather for my first attempt... Fridays & Saturdays are the obvious ideal but I am happy to do a Thursday if that works? (Still need to buy a bivvi that isn't bright orange and has a mozzie net!)

ETA: I am notice to head abroad in Aug for work at the moment so Thurs 2 or Thurs 9 Aug might work for me (23 Aug is results day so may have to be at home for that)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3207 on: 21 July, 2018, 06:59:49 am »
Thurs/Fri 9/10 August is ok for me [the only August combo that works for me!], if Friday night then I'd have to get away sharp-ish as the London Orbital Leaden Roding control opens lunchtime on Saturday. Also v organised re: food, control stuff ready to go.

I think I need to start a new thread for The ACME Bivvy Night 2018...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3208 on: 21 July, 2018, 09:33:20 am »
Sounds like we might have a plan. I just need to buy a new bivvy now lol
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3209 on: 21 July, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »
What happened to your sol bivvy?
Sounds like we might have a plan. I just need to buy a new bivvy now lol

Sent using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3210 on: 21 July, 2018, 04:49:52 pm »
Nothing other than its bright orange and a bit small for me to be comfortable )I don't think I can get my mat in there and me as well
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3211 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:35:18 pm »
Asparagus and Strawberries permanent yesterday, finished 03:30-ish this morning [Saffron Walden start]. Hot, hotter, hottest ride for some time. Doing the Constable Country lumps first was a good plan. Being a Sunday meant some challenges finding food - Manningtree Buffet shut [platform ticket as p-o-p] continued to Hadleigh for second breakfast, boy was I ready for that! Wells was heaving at 8pm, glad I ate in Melton Constable. Nice warm night through the Brecks, with occasional extremely chilly pools of air.

That's my 2018 SR completed, just need the Fenland Friends 600km Helpers' Ride for my fixed SR. I should make 50 points this season.

« Reply #3212 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:46:17 pm »

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3213 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:15:09 am »
Essex R&R Helpers' Ride
There has been some causal discussion about the Essex R&R and a helpers' ride this year.  I can confirm the helpers' ride will be this coming Saturday, 28th July.
The Orange Tandem has said they would target the 7am train arrival in Witham which gives us chance to get on the cooler(??) morning roads a bit earlier.  There might even be the possibility of starting from a later control for those residing over the west side and wanting an earlier finish.
Let me know if any ACME members would like to join the helpers' ride and/or are able to offer a pair of hands on the 4th August for any length of time.

« Reply #3214 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
Nice work Tomsk, I think I would have melted on a long ride on Sunday. I did a little loop up to the Thatchers arms where I met the girls for a refreshing drink before riding home and I spent an hour wallowing in the glorified paddling pool on my return home.

Huggy, I won't be able to make the helpers ride this weekend, my list of pre 16th Birthday party chores is growing frighteningly quickly!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3215 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:45:25 am »
Nice work Tomsk, I think I would have melted on a long ride on Sunday. I did a little loop up to the Thatchers arms where I met the girls for a refreshing drink before riding home and I spent an hour wallowing in the glorified paddling pool on my return home.

Huggy, I won't be able to make the helpers ride this weekend, my list of pre 16th Birthday party chores is growing frighteningly quickly!

You must have had a hard paper round Nik - I didn't factor you for being 15 and assumed you were at least 18 as I've seen you in pubs!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3216 on: 25 July, 2018, 06:42:28 pm »
I'll be up for the helper ride -

Jan

Essex R&R Helpers' Ride
There has been some causal discussion about the Essex R&R and a helpers' ride this year.  I can confirm the helpers' ride will be this coming Saturday, 28th July.
The Orange Tandem has said they would target the 7am train arrival in Witham which gives us chance to get on the cooler(??) morning roads a bit earlier.  There might even be the possibility of starting from a later control for those residing over the west side and wanting an earlier finish.
Let me know if any ACME members would like to join the helpers' ride and/or are able to offer a pair of hands on the 4th August for any length of time.

« Reply #3217 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:41:26 am »

You must have had a hard paper round Nik - I didn't factor you for being 15 and assumed you were at least 18 as I've seen you in pubs!  ;D
God, I wish it was my 16th, the things I would do differently  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3218 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:55:20 am »
Essex R&R Helpers' Ride
The Helpers' ride is locked in for rendezvous at the Witham Labour Hall @ 7am Saturday, with at least one scoop up along the way about 40 minutes later.  Starting/finishing at a western control of your choosing is also possible.
We'll be too early for breakfast at the Dandelion & Burdock café in Stock so the next feed stop is really Burnham at 67km from Witham. 10 O'clock-ish breakfast at the Cabin Dairy is probably favourite.
Riders currently expected:
huggy
Tomsk
Grey Sheep
bhoot & fhoot
Anyone else??

« Reply #3219 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
Offshore Cycle Haven

Yesterday evening's expedition was one of the centrepiece events of the MEMWNS calendar - our annual visit to West Mersea Yacht Club.

Fortuitously (or possibly intentionally on our part), OD was away in French France so we had a relatively civilised peloton in attendance.  The Hustler, our resident class warrior, was also otherwise engaged so no repeat of his infamous dirty protest of 2016.

The evening began early for me with a dinner date with the rejuvenated Jiber.  Can there be anywhere more romantic in Witham than the beer garden of the 'Spoons ? 

We arrived at Spa with time to spare and were soon joined by Jem, Tena Man, Pugwash, Hotblack and, eventually, Huggy.  Clearly, Jiber's tidal spreadsheet said something very different from the actual tide table as he set off at a furious pace.  Jiber's paceline held for a while but by the time we reached our offshore destination it had split into two middle-aged men and an old man showing off at the front and the rest of us.

It was a little cloudy on the horizon for us to catch what would have been a beautiful sunset but it was still a very pleasant evening to sit by the waterfront with a beer in hand.  Quite what the flag officers  of the YC (who were all there for a committee meeting) made of our little group I do not know but I may yet find out if they took exception to Tena Man wandering around with his top off.  Not long after we arrived, we were joined by Tomsk.  He had made a two and half hour journey over only to stay for one drink and head back.

We sampled Flying Carrot by Mighty Oak and Southwold by Adnams and, in a controversial "seaside rules" apply choice, Adnams Dry Hopped Lager.  Needless to say, the Lager walked the Quaffers' Choice Award.  That's another committee I might have fallen foul of then  :P

We discussed Huggy's lighting and gearing options for PBP and how hard he is having to work at the moment.  On Monday Huggy worked for fifteen minutes more than his contracted hours and he didn't even take his full lunch hour.  I don't know how he does it.  Jiber and his technical working group then entertained us with a fascinating discussion on his chainline.  That only left a short time to look at plans for Holland.

The half mile ride home just seemed to fly by.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3220 on: 26 July, 2018, 07:04:12 pm »
These write up's need compiling and pub lishing

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3221 on: 26 July, 2018, 08:35:40 pm »
Essex R&R Helpers' Ride

I'll pick up the route at the Compasses with a selfie as p-o-p, be good to finish there too. I'll have my 'second breakfast' with me to keep me going to Burnham...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3222 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:04:57 pm »
Tomsk in technology leap to selfi shocker!
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #3223 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:24:05 pm »
Tomsk in technology leap to selfi shocker!

It is alright he will be painting the selfie.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3224 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:57:02 pm »
The Helpers' ride is locked in for rendezvous at the Witham Labour Hall @ 7am Saturday, with at least one scoop up along the way about 40 minutes later. 
The train is actually scheduled to arrive at 07.02 so it will be at least 07.05 when we make it to the Labour Hall - although I suspect this is only an issue if we have a Pscylist Arrow style spreadsheet for the day (unlikely I think).

Is the route sheet to check the one currently on Aukweb? If so will print and bring with us.