Author Topic: Christmas Spirit  (Read 5531 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Christmas Spirit
« on: 22 December, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
A nice day, so time to get the old faithful winter bike out - a steel Ridgeback with mudguards and lowish gears.

Only 15 miles or so before I am completely fed up and heading for home.  >:( In that hour....

Three very close passes, two of them for no reason at all as there was plenty of roadspace available.
One aborted pass by a hired people carrier, just before the point of knocking me sideways without evasive action by yours truly.
One pointless pass followed by a tight-to-the-corner left turn, making me jam on the brakes.
Three riders coming in the opposite direction with no acknowledgement of my greeting despite eye contact.
One rider passing me very close and fast with no shout/greeting/wave.

Merry Fucking Christmas.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Christmas Spirit
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
Merry Grinching Christmas!

I'm almost grateful I can sit here unwilling/unable to go out and confront the diabolical traffic David always encounters.

My home is comfortable, cosy and well-supplied with goodies, which don't seem to be affecting my shape in the quantities I have them.

Sad really...

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2018, 10:01:11 pm »
Happy to be indoor cycling on a trainer, TBH.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:42:30 pm »
To be honest, I've not ridden for weeks, the bike usually goes away in early December, it's just not worth it. The weather is shit and the roads clogged with angry, impatient people who seem to think the world will end if they don't get to Sainsbury's before the sage and onion stuffing runs out. In the mornings, you've got the drivers sobering up from the night before, and in the evenings, from whatever one-pint-more they just had. Add that to the fact that most of them are managing a series of very important calls on their mobile.

We just drove to the supermarket to do our Christmas shopping before it closed. Not too bad, all said, I think the worst of it was over. Went for a swim beforehand and the pool was mental though, never seen so many people in it, and people swim just like they drive. Not looking as they pull out, close overtakes, middle of the lane hogging, you name it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »
You can spot the cyclists/motorcyclists in the supermarket, because they're the ones who do shoulder checks before pulling out with their trolley.

I'm now off the bike with lurgy, but I drove to the horriblemarket in a car on Friday and that was bad enough.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2018, 06:28:18 pm »
Rapha 500 starts tomorrow. Hopefully, Christmas eve is Peak-Knobber, and after that, they'll all be home yelling at their kids, and moaning that "brexit can't come soon enough..."

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2018, 09:10:40 pm »
We intend going for a nice little bike ride on Tuesday.

Nil carborundum desperandum.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2018, 11:17:15 am »
I'll be out on my MTB down the salt line, and canal towpaths in about 1/2 an hour. I shall enjoy the ride.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2018, 03:52:37 pm »
Did a 50k this morning. Lots of last-minute shoppers on the road, a bloody great queue at the patisserie and all the chocolate chip cookies gone. Dry weather and no wind, though and, even better, it's raining now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:01:41 pm »
Finished work at 2.30pm today so went and did 95 km afterwards. Lots of impatience until I got out onto the back roads east of Rotherham. Was mostly peaceful from there until I got to the outskirts of Sheffield (SE of the city). I've never liked cycling road that end, shitty fast roads and the cycle path alongside the A57 might be better in the daylight and with friends.

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:17:22 pm »
I had more aggro driving today, than I did cycling.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2018, 11:31:51 pm »
oh the crimbo spirit is running high in this driver - https://twitter.com/DontFollowStu/status/1077271606555217923 - season to be fecking jolly !

BBC: "Police said they believed the driver and a passenger were involved in an incident inside the store moments beforehand, where a person was challenged by Tesco security staff after allegedly attempting to steal alcohol."
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12 on: 25 December, 2018, 11:06:22 am »
The Christmas Spirit was indeed apparitious this morning.  We have pretty thick fog here near Rochdale and as I walked back from church I could just make out two roadies climbing the hill past me through the gloom.  Both dressed head to toe in black, with black helmets and black bikes.  And a seriously idiotic Christmas to you, too, though my own love of my fellow man prevents me saying that, obviously!

« Reply #13 on: 25 December, 2018, 11:33:56 am »
oh the crimbo spirit is running high in this driver - https://twitter.com/DontFollowStu/status/1077271606555217923 - season to be fecking jolly !

BBC: "Police said they believed the driver and a passenger were involved in an incident inside the store moments beforehand, where a person was challenged by Tesco security staff after allegedly attempting to steal alcohol."
Seems to me that the driver in the car wanted to leave, but another car in front of it and an angry
mob prevented it. Did I miss something?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 25 December, 2018, 11:49:05 am »
happy gluttony day to ya all, hope your heart burns will be mild
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #15 on: 25 December, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »
The Christmas Spirit was indeed apparitious this morning.  We have pretty thick fog here near Rochdale and as I walked back from church I could just make out two roadies climbing the hill past me through the gloom.  Both dressed head to toe in black, with black helmets and black bikes.  And a seriously idiotic Christmas to you, too, though my own love of my fellow man prevents me saying that, obviously!

Any black cars? Or were all the drivers in cars in those hi-vis colours you approve of?
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #16 on: 25 December, 2018, 12:48:58 pm »
Did I say i approve of hi-viz colours?  What I should have added was no lights and emphasised the fog.  Just doesn't make sense.  But then I'm not one of the "cyclists can do no wrong brigade" and have made plenty of mistakes myself.  Merry Christmas.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #17 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:04:13 pm »
Steady chaps.

« Reply #18 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »
Fair enough.  Just seems a rather rude response from someone who wrote this in an earlier thread:-

"Total respect for anyone whose ‘risk assessment’ differs from mine and chooses a different course."

« Reply #19 on: 25 December, 2018, 02:07:01 pm »
I think you missed the point of my previous post which was “each to their own”. I respect your right to choose whatever combination of colours and lights suits your personal risk profile, and I also respect the rights of those who choose black clothes, black helmets and black bikes. I have not insinuated that anyone is “seriously idiotic” for their choice.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #20 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:08:05 pm »
But I have and am happy enough with it!  I'm more interested in cyclists staying alive than in their "rights".

« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2018, 06:35:28 pm »

Seems to me that the driver in the car wanted to leave, but another car in front of it and an angry

So this is what it was all about.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2018, 06:48:40 pm »
But I have and am happy enough with it!  I'm more interested in cyclists staying alive than in their "rights".
"rights" are very important things:
Supporting the rights of various groups to go about their day peacably has a strong connection with those people staying alive.

[which is not to say the riders in question were right or wrong - I wasn't there, there are too many variables.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2018, 08:38:26 pm »
matt, I haven't said I'm not interested in cyclists' rights.  What I have said is that I'm more interested in them staying alive.  To quote Guy Martin, "When you dead, you dead."  This was a particular incident - and, as you say (and Whitedown didn't), you weren't there.

« Reply #24 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:49:22 pm »

So this is what it was all about.

I don't think the link is what you intend it to be, is it?