Author Topic: Derby Critical Mass  (Read 3081 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Derby Critical Mass
« on: 25 March, 2023, 05:42:32 pm »
I went along to the first of these rides today*

We met at the council house at 2:45. The Iranian protesters had just left, making me think that there might be a rota for these things somewhere…

It was a very good ride. There were about 20 of us, plus a couple of rack-mounted sound systems. I haven’t been on a lot of CMs, possibly just one (the one in London when there was talk of the police stopping it, which had quite the opposite effect, causing people like me to travel 140 miles to join in!), but there was the same, good-natured feel.

We may have delayed some drivers a little (although not much more than other, motorised traffic would have done and much, much less than if we’d all been in cars), but for the 45 minutes that I stayed with the ride there was no evidence of frustration, not a beep, rev or close pass.

I’m hoping to make it again next time: 14:45 at the council house on the last Saturday of each month.
 :thumbsup:

(*There’s a suggestion on FB that the last one was in 2016, but I don’t remember any CMs in Derby previously)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Derby Critical Mass
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2023, 09:59:28 am »
I grew up in Derby, and still have strong cycling links.
My perception is that Derby City ( and other authorities in Derbyshire) are pretty pro- cycling. Unusually, the Velodrome is a Council asset. There are a lot of schools cycling initiatives, and things like Breeze rides (ok, not Council funded directly).
In the past the City Council has been supportive of closing roads for City Centre races.

I’m not sure what the aims of a Critical Mass are.

I am aware that there are voices within the Council to, for instance, close the Velodrome. I hope that demonstrations in places that seem generally supportive don’t have negative impact.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2023, 11:22:01 am »
My perception is that Derby City ( and other authorities in Derbyshire) are pretty pro- cycling.
Both Derby and Derbyshire scored 1 out of 4 in the recent Active Travel review.  Although there are some decent facilities, there's no shortage of the usual crap. There's also been Active Travel criticism of schemes removed before adequate time to evaluate, with several councillors campaigning for this and the restriction of any further schemes.
https://derbycyclinggroup.org.uk/site/2023/03/derby-and-derbyshire-rating-is-1-4-for-active-travel/?fbclid=IwAR2ENlIMQ3UrC4MPI5D1iGPrEDgKiauOWoOADdLcimIe8MNHaOqLqIjc1VQ

That aside, I don't think Critical Mass is primarily aimed at the council, I thought the purpose was to get noticed by everyone, particularly other road users. I was away for this first one, I'm hoping to make it to others.

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:23:19 pm »
Paul. Great review very descriptive, I stumbled across your review while searching critical mass derby on google. I am one of the administrators for the Critical Mass Derby website so I have used your review on the website with credits and a link. hope that's ok? https://criticalmassderby.org.uk

I don't think there was a rota as such I think it was just pot luck that they where finishing up as we got there. Anyhow I reckon that we can get the attendees numbers up to triple figures by the summer if it keeps getting promoted this well. My friend is working on a new flyer which will be ready to print and publish in the next couple of days.

See you on the 29th  👍

Si

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:32:33 pm »
Three Paul's and a Simon Paul do we have enough Paul's 😂

Paul

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:31:50 am »
... I have used your review on the website with credits and a link. hope that's ok? https://criticalmassderby.org.uk
No problem.

Paul

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:32:50 am »
Three Paul's and a Simon Paul do we have enough Paul's 😂
Almost a CM of Pauls!