Author Topic: Most detailed OSM Map of France?  (Read 2208 times)

LEE

Most detailed OSM Map of France?
« on: 07 May, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »
I have the Normany downloads from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ but there seem to be many roads missing (the small lanes) when I compare to Google Earth.

Is there a more detailed OSM map I can use in Mapsource?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Most detailed OSM Map of France?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:56:28 am »
Probably not.  Parts of Normandy and also central France are still "here be dragons".

(I've added about 2000km of roads in France myself but that's not even scratching the surface).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
I added some roads after we'd been through Brittany last year but there were lots of gaps.

It's quite funny to compare the amazing detail on OSM when you travel through Germany though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:00:04 am »
The area of France we go to, la Creuse, only had the main roads detailed, ie the RNs!  I am very slowly adding roads but it will take a long time.  It is an incentive to get out and track down new places.

Compared to the Cherbourg peninsular  which has houses shown it's possible to believe there are dragons living in Creuse!

R

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:07:57 am »
I plotted a route in Bikely then imported the track into Mapsource so I could plot a route through "the void".

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:45:39 am »
Yes a few years back my Sheila did a tour of Tasmania like that - no GPS map to speak of but a fine collection of tracks generated from Gmaps.

In contrast to the blank areas in France, some places, notably the university towns, are astonishingly detailed.  Look at Brest for example, or Bordeaux.

Another thing I found, while adding roads across vast blank areas, was that all the propertry boundaries were already in place on OSM, even though the roads weren't.  Especially in the vineyard areas.  Priorities!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:24:18 am »
Another thing I found, while adding roads across vast blank areas, was that all the propertry boundaries were already in place on OSM, even though the roads weren't.  Especially in the vineyard areas.  Priorities!

I think that's because they will have come from a dump from the Plan Cadastre  (it's a bit like the land registry maps in the UK - it shows all the property boundaries and the plots are numbered.  I found that some of the main roads in the bit of Tarn & Garonne had their source marke as from the Cadastre.

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »
I plotted a route in Bikely then imported the track into Mapsource so I could plot a route through "the void".

Select "use direct routing" in Mapsource preferences maybe?

I've  transferred routes & tracks along previously unmarked roads to my Garmin via Maprsource, done the ride, then updated OSM with the actual track. You'd just be a bit stuck if you needed to change your planned route on the day because you wouldn't have other roads shown on the GPS, unless you also had a paper map of course.

Edit - looking at your post again I think you may be saying the same thing as me

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:01:25 am »
I'd definitely take the relevant IGN 1:100000 maps along. We had them with us last year when we cycled from St. Malo to Gouarec and back. Great resource!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.