Author Topic: Anyone digiscoping?  (Read 958 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Anyone digiscoping?
« on: 08 November, 2009, 10:02:26 pm »
How well does it work?, and it is possible to get decent pictures without a scope that costs faasands of paaands?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Anyone digiscoping?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:29:16 pm »
I've done a bit of digital photography through my scopes using at first a little Nikon coolpix compact and more recently a Canon 1000D.  The scopes have been a little 102mm f5 scope (available s/h for 80-100) and more recently a 200mm Schmidt-Cassegrain scope that's too heavy for a photographic tripod.  There are plenty of nice little apochromatic or semi-apo scopes around that cost 200 to 300 and would be easy to use on a fairly beefy tripod.  They'd work v nicely with a lightweight DSLR, I'd have thought.  Makes like Williams Optics, Revelation, Skywatcher; not as expensive as birders' fave like Leica or Swarowski.

Re: Anyone digiscoping?
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2009, 09:11:53 pm »
I've had a go, but moved on to a proper camera telephoto lens.
Probably a lot of the problem was that I didn't have a good adapter to hold the camera in exactly the right position in front of the eyepiece. It has to be pretty close and properly lined up with the centre, and if you touch the scope you get a load of vibrations

Fuji F30, Swarovski AT80HD 30x (£700 second hand)