Author Topic: Laser beams?  (Read 941 times)

Laser beams?
« on: 20 November, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »
That red dot in the centre of this balloon:

Is that my camera's range-finder thingy (the red dot is present in both photos I took of this balloon)? And does this mean I really oughtn't be taking photos of helicopters, since that would make me one of those Evil Vandals Wot Shines Lasers At Helicopters?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Laser beams?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »
It's more likely to be using passive AF in daylight.  Older compacts used active IR rangefinding, which is brilliant if you have to take pictures in dark pubs - they will happily focus and give a correct flash exposure in total darkness, except that in total darkness you can't frame the subject.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2011, 03:46:10 pm »
I think it might be the anti red eye thing, or is that the multiple flashy thing that some cameras do?

Otherwise it is the range finder and not really a laser.  If it were a laser then you wouldn't want to be doing portrate photos with it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »
Take a picture of Tim and see if he can still see afterwards?
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »
Yes, it's not actually a laser, and not strong enough to reach helicopters.  You'l be able to turn it off anyway.  I dunno what Canon call it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2011, 05:04:15 pm »
The red dot will be a reflection of the AF assist light on the front of the camera. The camera will be using AF assist because the balloon is smooth and shiny, with no texture for the normal contrast AF to lock on to.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2011, 10:37:34 am »
If it was a half-decent laser, the balloon would have popped!