Author Topic: Finepix HS30EXR vs Coolpix P500  (Read 937 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Finepix HS30EXR vs Coolpix P500
« on: 08 November, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »
A friend is thinking of getting her partner a camera for his birthday. She's narrowed it down to Finepix HS30EXR or the Coolpix P500.

The Coolpix has been superseded by the P510, but is, apparently still available on line. It's less expensive than the Finepix.  The spec of the Finepix is a little better, but I think the Coolpix is still a good package. Just because it's not the latest thing doesn't mean it's no good, right?

The intended recipient isn't, as far as I know, a keen photographer, but likes taking the odd snap.

Thoughts?   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Finepix HS30EXR vs Coolpix P500
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2012, 12:45:10 am »
Side by side...  http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=fujifilm_hs30exr&products=nikon_cpp500

Both seem pretty good.  The Fujif (with 1/4000s & f/2.8 at wide end) is a fair bit bigger/heavier than the Nikon; almost small dSLR size - a lot of camera to lug around for the occasional photo*.  Do they know that the recipient wants a bridge camera rather than a capable compact?  I had a panasonic bridge camera, and the very low shutter lag/fast AF with telephoto was great for action pics of the miniaos (in good light only).  In general bridge cams have the edge on 'performance', and the EVF is useful too in bright conditions/tracking movement.

*the best camera being the one you have with you etc...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2012, 10:53:57 am »
I'm considering the HS30EXR for Mrs Pcolbeck for Christmas. She hates cameras without an EVF and loves a zoom but is not keen on lugging a full DLSR around, She currently has an old Fuji bridge camera she loves but it was a cheap one and is getting a bit old and temperamental now so I might get her an upgrade. If they do go for the Fuji let us know how they like it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
I think the Fujif's "redesigned [1/2"] 16MP back-lit CMOS sensor" is supposed to be decent too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson