Author Topic: Antarctica A Century Ago  (Read 969 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Antarctica A Century Ago
« on: 29 December, 2013, 10:37:05 am »
Seen for the first time, these exposed but undeveloped plates were discovered in a hut.  It's amazing any image remained at all, let alone these captivating shots.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/28/world/antarctic-historic-photos/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Antarctica A Century Ago
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »
That is awesome. I was reading a very nice coffee table book on the photography of the Scott expedition. Apparently the scientific records gained during Scott's last expedition laid the foundations for modern plate tectonics - a long overlooked fact int eh mdia hype on the 'race for the pole'. For Scott it wasn't a race but one expedition goal among many others where they gathered a lot of scientific info. Amundsen, by contrast, left no scientific legacy.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »
Those photos are wonderful to see - and David Martin's info about plate tectonics is fascinating. But as the photos are from Shackleton's expedition, what scientific legacy did he leave? <goes googlifying>
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
When I was young I really wanted the photographer to be a relative, no matter how distant.  Sadly I've found no connection ... YET!