Author Topic: Benjamin Allens Summer outing  (Read 10495 times)

Benjamin Allens Summer outing
« on: 13 May, 2019, 08:20:14 pm »
Event just about full.

Any last minute info for riders will be posted here.

And if any entrants have any queries, please ask here or via the FB group.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Benjamin Allens Summer outing
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:31:59 am »
The start hall at Bushley will be open on Friday from 20.00hrs. Bring along your own air bed, sleeping bag . . . .

The food at Wigmore control will be vegan freindly, if anyone has specific dietary requirements - please contact me direct on the email you received ride info on.

We have limited space to transport provisions and various other bits of equipment. It is preferable and an advantage to you, if you have all you need to stay safe with you on the bike. It is preferable from the organiser's point of view, as history shows that despite the best efforts - items have gone missing. For you, it is an advantage to have spare/extra clothing with you should the weather suddenly dictate you need it. To that end, if you must have a drop bag, the only bags transported to Wigmore will be typically be a cycling musette which is typically 30 to 35 cm square with draw string top, with any contents being inside a polythene bag. And only soft clothing inside - So no shoes, liquids, gels etc. Any bags too heavy or large will remain at Bushley. All reasonable care will be taken with drop bags, but responsibility of them lies with the owner and not the event support team.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:25:19 pm »
Latest updates:-

1).TINTERN DIVERT. Refer to OS mapping and either (a) follow the green dots (cycle route) from Tintern to St. Arvans. OR (b) take the B4293 out of Monmouth, once in Trellech - follow signs for Chepstow, this will bring you out at same junction in St.Arvans

2). GLOUCESTER DOCKS DIVERT. Route sheet and GPS patch have been uploaded on to the event web page. Please download and use from Shepherd's Patch  control. Please note, both now follow A38 all the way to Tewkesbury - there's now  a possible night time closure along B4213 (that was previously along A38).

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:58:11 pm »
Thanks, they keep you on your toes as an organiser!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:57:04 pm »
Have fun everyone! (this was my 1st choice 600 for 2019 until my season suffered irritating sub-optimal adjustment)

Forecast even looks above-acceptable  :thumbsup:

It looks a great route; BS always puts on a good show, and somehow recruits nothing but the best of helpers to ease you all through your weekend awheel!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2019, 01:43:13 pm »
I just blatted my route but the new files are only the 'patch'? Can I still download the full GPX file from somewhere? Cheers

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
I just blatted my route but the new files are only the 'patch'? Can I still download the full GPX file from somewhere? Cheers
Email from BS had a GPX attached

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »
Email from BS had a GPX attached

So it did. This is what happens when you enter too many events to keep track of! #frazzled :S

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:15:02 pm »
PRE-EVENT BIVVY.

For those preferring a quiet night's slumber, the field opposite the village hall is also suitable to construct your palace of glittering delights.

I would suggest practicing your construction skills adjacent to the hedge on the left as you enter the field.

CAR PARKING.

As previously posted, the car park can take up to 70 cars. However, this relies heavily on neat parking.

To relieve this stress, for those needing 'a little extra space' for their prized phaeton - the field opposite the village hall will also be available.

As you approach village hall (on the left), the field gateway is a few metres before on the right.

Please leave room next to the hedge adjacent to the lane for those that have decided to bivvy.

The field will be opened from about 20.00hrs on Friday evening.

« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2019, 06:00:25 pm »
Drove the Monmouth to St Arvans via Devauden road on Saturday morning, en route to Bulwark/BCM. Be aware that it is the signed diversion for all vehicular traffic, both ways. Some traffic already at 0530. Take care.

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »
Drove the Monmouth to St Arvans via Devauden road on Saturday morning, en route to Bulwark/BCM. Be aware that it is the signed diversion for all vehicular traffic, both ways. Some traffic already at 0530. Take care.
Has anyone cycled the A466 to see if it is passable by bike?
Just asking as there are roads that are closed to motorised traffic and roads that are closed to everyone unless you are willing to climb fences ;-)

LFCC

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2019, 06:55:10 pm »
Does anyone know which diversion will have less traffic?
The Tintern route may be quieter if the signed diversion is via Trelleck, but looks like the roads are a lot smaller so won't take much traffic to make this unpleasant.

What are others thinking?

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:15:06 pm »
Does anyone know which diversion will have less traffic?
The Tintern route may be quieter if the signed diversion is via Trelleck, but looks like the roads are a lot smaller so won't take much traffic to make this unpleasant.

What are others thinking?

The fact that the official diversion is the west side makes me think my original proposal of A466 then climb to St Briavels and then following the Dean route from there.

« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:24:09 pm »
Just asking as there are roads that are closed to motorised traffic and roads that are closed to everyone unless you are willing to climb fences ;-)

The A466 is completely closed between St Arvans and Tintern.

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »

The Mitchell Troy - Devauden diversion is popular with local traffic.

The divert for HGV is via Lydney. Or way-off to the west A40/A465

The "Green Dot" divert is CR31 & CR32. And not suitable for anything larger than a minibus.

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:30:29 pm »

The A466 is completely closed between St Arvans and Tintern.
Thanks Mark.
Green dots it is then

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »
Is this the correct diversion?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:21:38 pm »
Martyn - that looks like the 'right' diversion i.e. the official one. But I am going to do the green dots too and hope its nice and quiet!

« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:16:45 pm »
Thinking of suppertime Saturday and noticed that Dick's Diner chippy at Machynlleth is open until 11pm (as well as a pub mentioned by Mark open until 2am).

simonp

« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »
I'm hoping to visit Monmouth Regatta since some of my clubmates will be racing there. There's always a BBQ at a regatta.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:52:07 pm »
I'm hoping to visit Monmouth Regatta since some of my clubmates will be racing there. There's always a BBQ at a regatta.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Route goes straight past boathouse.

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:44:21 am »
I'm just plotting my own GPX files.

Couple of errors on routesheet:

185.5 83.2 CONTROL - West End Café, on LEFT,

Pretty sure it's on the right? It will be obvious anyway.

226.8   40.3   RIGHT, $ CELLAN, B4343.

Think this is a left turn. Right takes you back towards the A40.

If I've got these wrong then my gpx is very wrong - so do please correct me!

« Reply #22 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:01:26 pm »

You're coming into Llandovery from the NE down the A483. It's easiest and fastest to take no turns, go past the school to L@T (A40)
L $ Brecon (A40)
400m to rbt
L to control, imm on L
CONTROL: West End Café, Llandovery
(Note: 20m before rbt is the back door to the cafe backyard: best for pushbikes)

After the fast descent on the A482 into Cwmman the route goes NE (ie RIGHT) just as the routesheet line says.
My edition:
R onto B4343, $ CELLAN (just after 'ARAF/SLOW' on road)
N on B4343, thro: CELLAN, LLANDDEWI BREFI

« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:26:07 pm »
After the fast descent on the A482 into Cwmman the route goes NE (ie RIGHT)

The descent on the A482 is lovely but the route doesn't come down the A482 we'll be approaching on the B4337 from Llanbydder

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »

Thank you Simonp

Not quite sure how these  anomalies have occurred.

The West End Cafe is on the RIGHT.

Indeed it is a left turn towards Cellan, there is no right turn at that location. It is the same road as taken per Brevet  Cymru,  but on this occasion you're approaching from the Lampeter direction, as drone has pointed-out.