Author Topic: "I don't get art"  (Read 23280 times)

Re: "I don't get art"
« Reply #200 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:00:03 am »
Gilbert and George at The White Cube........It gets 5 stars - Discuss.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/nov/25/gilbert-and-george-banners-review-art-undeniable-punch-in-the-face#comment-63945752

" a moral vision that is at once libertarian, atheistic, monarchist and existential. All are proactive."

(Gilbert is East London for bogey, mind)
I read the review and found it meaningless Psychobabble.  But then I think the 'work' of G&G a load of bollocks.  This does nothing to alter that view.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #201 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:57:32 am »
Sometimes it's bollocks, occasionally shit.  I disagree with G&G's worldview, but I cannot deny it a status as art.
Getting there...

« Reply #202 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:40:30 am »
Sometimes it's bollocks, occasionally shit.  I disagree with G&G's worldview, but I cannot deny it a status as art.

Their work is often scatalogical.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #203 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:50:42 am »
Sometimes it's bollocks, occasionally shit.

See what you did there.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #204 on: 26 November, 2015, 04:22:23 pm »
Sometimes it's bollocks, occasionally shit. 

Often literally. (Or rather, the representations are literal).

Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #205 on: 26 November, 2015, 04:31:07 pm »
That's pants.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #206 on: 26 November, 2015, 05:10:04 pm »
I think it's actually spunk, blood, piss, shit, spit. There are other photos in the same series of the two of them in their pants, and without any pants: I've spared the inter web those.  :D

That image doesn't really give an impression of the scale of these photo-collages. They're big format black and white photos, arranged in grids, often tens of feet across.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #207 on: 16 December, 2015, 10:19:53 am »
Very few artists give their works names. When a painter has just put the last touch to a masterpiece, she does not stand back and wonder what to call it. Titles are almost always given later by the public, writers, art historians or museums. They don’t necessarily have any connection with the artist’s intentions.
That's from an article about the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum changing names of paintings to avoid words now seen as racist. I hadn't thought about paintings – because it is paintings they're talking about – not being named by their painters, but if they're not, that implies the artists aren't thinking in terms of 'titles' when they paint, or even after they've finished a painting. That seems to be a difference to the types of art that this thread has mostly been discussing. Probably.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #208 on: 16 December, 2015, 10:34:41 am »
Same with composers. I don't think Bach called them the Brandenburg concerti. That came later from music historians because he composed them for the Duke of Brandenburg hoping for a job offer (I think without looking it up). IIRC Beethoven's "Moonlight"* sonata was so named some years after his death by some bloke who said the first movement reminded him of moonlight shining on water. Something tells me that Mozart didn't use the name "Elvira Madigan" for his 21st concerto either.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No._14_(Beethoven)#Names refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #209 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:25:24 pm »
Again, there are exceptions. Such as Nimrod.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #210 on: 19 December, 2015, 04:47:41 pm »
Today I saw some art of a sort I might have expected to not get, but I most definitely got it. It was a video called Board, which is descriptive. Two blokes lifting, carrying, rearranging a white board on a white background. And playing with it. For instance, one would hold it at a slope while the other slid down it. My take on it was that it was turning a sysyphean labour (there was no end or beginning to it, just a cycle) into a good laugh. I did literally laugh out loud. They call it "a carefully choreographed performance where the duo manipulate their own bodies in a kind of Minimalist ballet around a flexible piece of board." Or perhaps they didn't say that but the gallery did, I don't know. The board didn't look flexible to me. Great fun to watch and, I'm sure, to do.
http://harrisonandwood.com/b/board/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #211 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:07:23 pm »
I most definitely got it.

If you think you got it, you can't have.

<strokes chin>
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #212 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »
Ok. It got me. And tickled.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #213 on: 21 December, 2015, 02:09:37 pm »