Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice if GPS were scriptable?  (Read 1203 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Wouldn't it be nice if GPS were scriptable?
« on: 08 February, 2010, 02:47:28 pm »
We would all be able to tell our GPS how to behave nicely. Don't tell me that they can't do it, if Nokia can why Garmin can't: Python for S60 - OpenSource

def Audax():
   Show_me_the_routesheet_instructions()
   beep_when_Iwant()
   tell_me_if_I_am_on_schedule()

def A_to_B():
  Get_me_to_the_other_side_of_the_city(nowhitevanroute)

Apologies for the daydreaming...
Chief cat entertainer.

plum

Re: Wouldn't it be nice if GPS were scriptable?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »
Symbian has been forced to go open source to stay in the market. Until there's similar pressure from Google on the GPS market there's not much incentive to Garmin or any of the other players to make their products accessible in the same way.

Can't be too far away though, it's Google's new direction of attack by the looks of things.

Re: Wouldn't it be nice if GPS were scriptable?
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
It's not quite what you're looking for, but I think the whereigo game on Garmin can be scripted (Lua).

Unfortunately the thing hasn't taken off anywhere, there is a ridiculous licensing agreement to generate an output file for it using the maker's tools, and by running the whereigo engine you seem to lose all the normal mapping features.

But technically you could script it specifically for something in that (but you'd lose the normal mapping functionality)

Meh, I agree I'd buy it.
But from their point of view it's development effort, they don't know how much it will sell extra, and it could be a support nightmare.  "My garmin battery doesn't run for as long as you say it will, or doesn't navigate right - yes I have a random script off the web running, what's that got to do with it??"