Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 16730 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Mirrors
« Reply #25 on: 12 June, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

You can also cheat with the Mirrycle and mount to mudguards as well using the extension pieces as well.

But would render it close to useless unless going in an exact straight line.

« Reply #26 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:07:43 pm »
Has anyone tried a wrist-based mirror?

I've never been fully satisfied with my Mirrycle because at night I can be badly lasered by following traffic. I read in the PBP rules that a mirror can be hand mounted, something I'd never heard of or imagined (although it doesn't take much imagination to come up with, admittedly!

This way I could just turn in my 'main' mirror after dark and deploy the wrist one if I needed to see behind for some reason

« Reply #27 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »
ICE used to do a clamp with a tube In effect a bar end mounting for mirrors. I use one on SMGT as Bar-end shifters fill the obvious place in combination with a Mirrycle mirror. It's been really good. Left slightly less than really tight it offers a bit of tweakable adjustment too and gives enough to save the mirror(so far) if the bike topples over.Bit of a hand rest too. Only critisism is that if you go to the Continent you have to prise the clamp right open to pass over the bar diameter (to change sides).A front loading type double screw clamp would've been ideal. Having said that it has survived opening and closing at least 10 times. I would post a picture if I had one.

« Reply #28 on: 13 June, 2011, 03:58:29 pm »
Has anyone tried a wrist-based mirror?

Someone commented on one of my videos about liking my "glove mounted" mirrors.  LOOOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2011, 12:56:33 am »
I use the Trice extension bracket anbd Mirrycle on my Trice anf find it fits the jiob fine. Problems is that a/. don't know if they're still available and b/. last time I looked they wanted somthing like £17-00 just for the extension bar and that struck me as too much to pay. Upsetting as I support ICE and their products with all my cycling soul.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2011, 06:24:17 pm »
Indeed, but while some things can seem dear the quality is superb and their after sales service is unmatched (unlike some).
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #31 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:01:25 pm »
They still do it, and yes, it is expensive

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:36:47 am »
Resurrecting this thread in the hope of inspiration for this particular problem:

2011 ICE Sprint.  Adapted controls mean the right handlebar is full of knobs and levers, which means a general shortage of places to mount a mirror.  Here's my first try using the ICE-supplied Mirrycle stuck into the remaining hole in the bottom of the bar:

This is the solution that's simple, obvious and completely wrong; not only is it tricky to adjust the position to find a point where the mirror gives the desired view without fouling on the mudguard during hard left steering lock, but the rider's arm blocks the view, and tends to bash the mirror during gear changes.

So, what do the panel suggest?  In addition to the Mirrycle, I also have a spare long-stem B&M Cyclestar available, and my pound shop camping stool still has two more legs to fabricate custom brackets from  ;).  Before anyone suggests them, glasses/helmet mirrors are a non-starter on account of bilateral Duane Synrome.

Has anyone succeeded in mounting a mirror to the top of an ICE mudguard?  Any issues?  It mustn't extend too far vertically, as the trike has to pass through a doorway sideways.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #33 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:07:47 am »
Wasn't there a thing called the "Bike eye" or similar checked out in Velovision not long since. If I remember it right the mirror was frame mounted near the steering post and might just have the sort of mounting you could match up to the mudguard or the top of the mudguard mount?
I may, of course, be talking crap but it might be worth a search.

edited to add...  http://road.cc/content/review/3337-bike-eye-mirror
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #34 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:06:40 am »
I think I would be tempted to try mounting a B&M cyclestar just below the bar end shifter.  It should be possible to put the knob bit in a way that doesn't interfere with the shifter.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-cycle-star-mirror-fits-to-handlebar-end-long-stem-prod16567/

Alternatively, what about a mudguard mounted mirror? Doh, just seen you mention that...
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #35 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:34:30 am »
Resurrecting this thread in the hope of inspiration for this particular problem:

........ snip .......

Has anyone succeeded in mounting a mirror to the top of an ICE mudguard?  Any issues?  It mustn't extend too far vertically, as the trike has to pass through a doorway sideways.
I mounted my Mirrycle mirrors directly on the mudguards on my old trike.
I just used the outer arm mounted directly on the middle bolt hole of the mudguard.
I first drilled the hole in the arm out a fraction to take a M6??? bolt, I think it was that size.
Then pressed the lock nut into the hole on the top of the arm useing a vice/mole grips
I fixed the mirrors on so that they are the long side is close to the guards.
They worked great as is at low speed.
But on a rough road at speed they tended to vibrate to much.
Hence I added stiffer bars down the outside of the wheels from the hubs to the mirrors to kill any vibration.
Rode with them like that for 2 years and killed 2 mirrors and 2 arms in that time.

You'll have to see if a FS trike is smooth enough for this to work without the stiffener bars.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #36 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:42:06 am »
A helmet like Rower40's with a mirror in it?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #37 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
Mirrors on the mudguards didn't work for me - rattled to pieces.

I haven't got the mirrors right on either trike yet. I think I should probably consider them a consumable and just buy new ones every year.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »
A helmet like Rower40's with a mirror in it?

Unobtanium, and requires steerable eyeballs.

Mirrors on the mudguards didn't work for me - rattled to pieces.

Fneh.  We haven't got quick release axles, on the logic that barakta can work bolts with appropriate tools, but can't work QRs by hand, so reinforcing the mudguard support isn't an easy option.

I think I would be tempted to try mounting a B&M cyclestar just below the bar end shifter.  It should be possible to put the knob bit in a way that doesn't interfere with the shifter.

Sounds like that's the best thing to try next, then.  The Mirrycle can go on the left handlebar, where there is - funnily enough - an abundance of mounting space.

« Reply #39 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:44:12 pm »
I bought a bundle of 'take a look' mirrors from the states. They work well. (Apart that is from looking like a demented dentist!) I found they worked even better on a trike because you have more time to 'sweep' the road behind you.

Cheers
John

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #40 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:53:46 pm »
I think I saw on Velovison a thing that was available that gave additional mounting space on a trike's bars.  It was a T or L shaped bit of welded bar tube that, I think, fitted on the headset/kingpin and so turned with the steering and was ahead of the bars.  Maybe a quill fitting?

Alternatively could you squeeze in a standard bar end below the bar end shifter to add a bit of extra tube?

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #41 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »
How about this?

From this page.

It would relocate both the mirror and the bar end shifter but don't know if it would help.

« Reply #42 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
I think I saw on Velovison a thing that was available that gave additional mounting space on a trike's bars.  It was a T or L shaped bit of welded bar tube that, I think, fitted on the headset/kingpin and so turned with the steering and was ahead of the bars.  Maybe a quill fitting?

Alternatively could you squeeze in a standard bar end below the bar end shifter to add a bit of extra tube?

The terracycle cockpit mount?

http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=CP

Also, there is, in the latest edition of Velovision (due from the printer's tomorrow), a home made thumb mounted mirror. Now I realise that thumb mounted is a bit of a fail for Barakta, but I wonder if the principle could be adapted. Basically the chap got some stick on blindspot mirrors like you get for car wing mirrors and sewed one to a glove, and adapted another with some wire loops. Could something wearable-on-the-hand be fettled? Has the advantage of less vibration than anything mounted on solid trike parts and can be angled to suit. This chap, as I recall, doesn't use his thumb mounted one all the time, he just puts it up into position when required.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #43 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:28:13 pm »
Could you fit something to the top of the kingposts?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #44 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:39:58 pm »
I've thought of fitting one on near top of the king post.
A small U shaped bracket bolted useing one of the two holes in the horizontal part of mudguard mount.
Then bolt the outer arm of a Merrycle mirror to it so it stands straight up-ish.
The only trouble I see with it there is seeing back past the handle bar/arm.

The advantage I've found with the mudguard mounted mirrors versis the handle bar ones is because they are lower down and further out your arm does not block the veiw back when you stick it out for a turn.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »
While you were posting those suggestions, I was busy having the same idea  :D

That's a sawn-off Cyclestar bar-end mount, with an appropriate assortment of screws and washers.  Sturdy, looks pretty good, and by rights ought to be as stable as a Cyclestar ever is.  It puts the mirror nicely clear of your arm, too.  Fingers crossed it works okay on the road.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #46 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:57:29 pm »
I've had lights mounted there in the past and I tended to find it made the mudguards slide out of line, however tight I tightened up the kingposts. You may have more luck, however!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »
I've had lights mounted there in the past and I tended to find it made the mudguards slide out of line, however tight I tightened up the kingposts. You may have more luck, however!

Interesting - too much weight?  Hopefully a mirror won't have as much of an effect.  Otherwise, something cunning involving anti-vibration washers is probably needed for  :-\

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #48 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »
They were very small lights (£2.99 from The Range) and fairly lightweight, but heavier than mirrors, although more compact too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »
We've just had a quick pootle, taking in some quality Sustrans potholes and tree roots, and nothing seems to have worked loose yet.  Hardly an exhaustive test, I know.  Fingers crossed...