Author Topic: What bike and what tour?  (Read 1520 times)

dat

What bike and what tour?
« on: 28 February, 2018, 07:56:00 am »
I've got a train ticket to London on the 11th May and have 3 weeks off work. My plan was to take my touring bike and cycle around 2000 miles using NCR1 to Inverness then NCR7 come down into Wales and use the NCR6 for a bit. Nothing set in stone but just a general idea.

I bought a new bike a few weeks ago, a fat bike (Surly Pugsley). Now I'm toying with the idea of taking that and exploring the UK a bit more off road. Any ideas what could keep me busy for 3 weeks or maybe I should stick with my original plan.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: What bike and what tour?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
Down to Dover, ferry to Calais, ride round France for three weeks.  Sorted  :thumbsup:

dat

« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:56:12 am »
Down to Dover, ferry to Calais, ride round France for three weeks.  Sorted  :thumbsup:
No passport.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:02:44 am »
why not a bit of both?

use the NCNs and then spur off where it takes your fancy?

Is this a full on camping tour, or hotel touring?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

dat

« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:23:26 am »
why not a bit of both?

use the NCNs and then spur off where it takes your fancy?

Is this a full on camping tour, or hotel touring?
Full camping.

The touring bike is a Dave Yates with tubus racks, Ortlieb roller plus bags and 35mm tyres with guards.
The fat bike is a Surly Pugsley and would buy some bikepacking bags or maybe just attach some racks but I'm leaning with bikepacking. 4" tyres that means more fun.

I'm only considering this because all my previous tours the most fun bits are the off road parts and sometimes I avoid the most challenging off road sections because of the bike I had, I wouldn't need to do this with the Surly. I'm thinking maybe using NCR1 to get "up north" and then spend some time in the lake and peak district of road then come back through Wales as planned.

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:05:40 pm »
Some of my most pleasant UK riding has been in areas where I was least expecting it.  The Cycling UK BCQ (British Cycling Quest) is brilliant for this, it makes you plan routes to what would otherwise be random points on the map, that's assuming you enjoy route planning.  I understand the pleasure of a linear tour, but sometimes it's nice to zig-zag around and see more of an area than that permits.  Over three weeks I'd probably mix that up, ride somewhere over a few days, stay in the area a few, repeat...