Author Topic: What are you streaming at the moment…  (Read 6286 times)

ian

Re: What are you streaming at the moment…
« Reply #50 on: 18 December, 2023, 10:00:02 pm »
Got to the end of the first series of Manifest, and it wasn't too bad in the end, maybe 5 or 6 mehs. Would give it another season.

What, what's this, only seasons 1 and 4 are available on UK Netflix.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 18 December, 2023, 10:01:57 pm »
Got to the end of the first series of Manifest, and it wasn't too bad in the end, maybe 5 or 6 mehs. Would give it another season.

What, what's this, only seasons 1 and 4 are available on UK Netflix.

Having watched the entire thing, this is a more sensible decision than you might assume.

ian

« Reply #52 on: 19 December, 2023, 09:30:23 pm »
Might be a valid point, but if I'd checked, I would have saved myself season 1.

Now on For All Mankind. Apparently lady astronauts. Madness, say I, without gravity it's well-known that their wombs will float up inside and suffocate their brains.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 20 December, 2023, 10:17:42 pm »
Bach's Brandenburg Concerti.

Václav Luks & Collegium 1704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzecIGYktA&ab_channel=Frescosayresdelprado
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #54 on: 30 January, 2024, 08:08:58 pm »
The Bear on Disney+

It’s billed as a comedy, but the laughs are few and far between. It’s probably better for it to be honest, because it is very good.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #55 on: 31 January, 2024, 10:48:30 am »
Detectorists...actually just finished, so now need to look for something else.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 01 February, 2024, 01:24:15 am »
Now on For All Mankind. Apparently lady astronauts. Madness, say I, without gravity it's well-known that their wombs will float up inside and suffocate their brains.

We just finished Season 4.

Expectations calibrated on Season 3 made it entirely watchable.  Most of the space stuff doesn't make sense by this point, so you're left with character based drama, above average sets and cinematography, and cute nods to alternate history.  Unfortunately there's only about 4 proper characters left (who don't get nearly enough screen time), and to make matters worse they'd stopped making decent music by 2003.  I appreciated the upgraded Apple Newton.

For All Mankind jumps the shark somewhere in the first half of Season 2.  And I'm not expecting a Season 5.

« Reply #57 on: 01 February, 2024, 08:53:29 am »
West Wing

It is vaguely watchable. Not sure how much 'America' I can take.

CJ (Alison Janney) is absolutely gorgeous. Oh wait, that's why I'm watching it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #58 on: 01 February, 2024, 10:37:38 am »
On HBO - True Detective S4 - "Night Country" set in Alaska - starring Jodie Foster.
Currently they release 1 episode a week, not bad, but nowhere near as good as series 1.
Its been an eye-opener with respect to the plight of the indigenous population.(Inupiat)
Regards,

Alan

ian

« Reply #59 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:28:02 am »

We just finished Season 4.

Expectations calibrated on Season 3 made it entirely watchable.  Most of the space stuff doesn't make sense by this point, so you're left with character based drama, above average sets and cinematography, and cute nods to alternate history.  Unfortunately there's only about 4 proper characters left (who don't get nearly enough screen time), and to make matters worse they'd stopped making decent music by 2003.  I appreciated the upgraded Apple Newton.

For All Mankind jumps the shark somewhere in the first half of Season 2.  And I'm not expecting a Season 5.

We're watching it on-and-off, it doesn't pull with great enthusiasm, though I mostly enjoy it when I do watch. Still binging on Alias though – we don't watch TV often, so it takes a while to get through those traditional US 22-episode seasons. Somewhat disappointed to find that Bradley Cooper wasn't actually turned into a raccoon. Must be something else.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:46:08 am »
I have discovered Slow Horses, both in that it is very watchable, and it makes for a great distraction when doing 45 mins on the turbo.

Oh, and S2 Ep2 featured my local train station, which I walk through almost every time I take photos at a local music venue.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #61 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:52:35 am »
I did enjoy Slow Horses, a bit contrived, but I'm learning a lot of management skills from Jackson Lamb. Far cheaper than the MBA. Have the third series to catch at some point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 04 February, 2024, 11:25:02 pm »
Just finished S3 of Slow Horses, which was better than S2.  Less boring spy stuff, and more people being brilliantly rubbish and/or rubbishy brilliant.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #63 on: 13 February, 2024, 12:25:25 pm »
Slow Horses came up in discussion over Sunday lunch with my parents. Sounds promising. I have put it on the list (need to get round to it before the Apple TV free trial expires though).

We finally got round to starting The Bear at the weekend. Love it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #64 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:28:22 am »
We have a short free subscription to apple TV. What's worth watching on it?
Avoiding documentaries and the trashy stuff that Ian revels in.  Bonus points if it's in foreign and a series that is 6-8 episodes long, as opposed to 5 series of 20 episodes.

Also, did I mention "into the night" on the flux?  Three series, short episodes, story driven fast enough but story still told well.  Didn't expect they would have enough material for more than one series, but it's working well.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #65 on: 07 March, 2024, 02:31:29 pm »
The afore mentioned Slow Horses is very good. For All Mankind was a nice take on alternative history and the future ramifications surrounding the moon landings. Silo was good if you like dystopian SF. H/JACK was also good. And Lessons in Chemistry was enjoyable. Foundation was good, although only tangentially related to its source material, which I found a little distracting. Bad Sisters was good as well. We couldn’t get on with Severence though, and I found Ted Lasso to be tedious after the first three or four shows.

If there’s any foreign language stuff on Apple, it’s not obvious on my English set account.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #66 on: 09 March, 2024, 06:58:17 am »
Just finished The Brothers Sun.  Gory but funny.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #67 on: 09 March, 2024, 02:39:26 pm »
Cheers beardy, we have been watching Chemistry.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace