Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210661 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #825 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:03:57 pm »
Alas like everything in life they're just cheap kits from China. The only part found in a skip is invariably the poor bike they perpetrate it to.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #826 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:11:46 pm »
Alas like everything in life they're just cheap kits from China. The only part found in a skip is invariably the poor bike they perpetrate it to.

Bah! And indeed, Humbug!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #827 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:21:09 pm »
They're just a cheap way of making a small motorbike really, without the bother of registration, insurance, etc. I doubt if the pedals ever turn.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #828 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:50:43 pm »
The rider of this contraption:

https://road.cc/content/news/264274-cyclist-motorised-bike-fuel-tank-attached-string-warned-police

I wonder if the PCSO noticed the lack of rear brake?

I were right about that saddle...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #829 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:07:15 am »

This guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49275630/determined-cyclist-makes-it-through-flood-water-in-edinburgh

Kudos for making it through the floor waters, but I bet he won't take the bike in to have every single set of bearings regreased...

It makes me cringe at what it does to the bike.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #830 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:22:46 am »
Hardly presents a problem to anyone else though.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #831 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:32:39 am »

Sometimes you gotta go where you gotta go.

I have ridden through similar flooded roads before when I was first getting into cycling and didn't know any better. I was riding the cheap OEM wheels that came with the bike, no permanent damage seemed to follow 💁‍♂️ I sold the bike to someone who still happily rides it around no dramas.

I wonder if there would be a market for a super water resistant bike. What a great marketing gimmick that would be.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #832 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:33:42 am »

This guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49275630/determined-cyclist-makes-it-through-flood-water-in-edinburgh

Kudos for making it through the floor waters, but I bet he won't take the bike in to have every single set of bearings regreased...

J

Surely the DOTD's were the motorists getting themselves stuck? I wonder how many insurance claims for water locked engines will be declined due to the motorists driving through flood waters?

ian

« Reply #833 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:55:49 am »
I once pedalled my bike through a puddle deep enough that my feet disappeared on every rotation, then the bottom bracket, the wheel hubs, and my knees. In my defence, it didn't look that deep and once you are committed it's not like you're keen to stop and wade out.

I can't say I've ever regressed any bearings, if things spin, I'm not bothered.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #834 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:57:49 am »
I once pedalled my bike through a puddle deep enough that my feet disappeared on every rotation, then the bottom bracket, the wheel hubs, and my knees. In my defence, it didn't look that deep and once you are committed it's not like you're keen to stop and wade out.

Having done something similar on sustrans finest NCR1, I took my Brompton in for service the next day. Front and rear hubs were fine, BB, needed attention.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #835 on: 08 August, 2019, 12:06:29 pm »
At risk of making this I rode through a flood thread I once road by bike through a flood where the bike was entirely underwater. Aware of how stupid this was but was young and more stupid. Fell off when hit an unseen obstacle and had to unclip while underwater which wasn't fun.

Bottom bracket seized to the point in unscrewed about a week after.

ian

« Reply #836 on: 08 August, 2019, 12:18:32 pm »
As health and safety adverse BMX kids, we once spent an entire summer building bigger and bigger ramps next to a disused boating lake. There was a nice downhill run-up which lead to some stupidly rad air as we leapt out over the water and then had to retrieve our bikes from the bottom of the lake. Over and over.

I feel sure this had nothing to do with my frame snapping in half six months later. That was weird, I came off a drop-off and landed and I went one way, and the bike the other, even though I was still on it. Then I fell off. But really every story involving BMX back then ended with the words 'and then I fell off.'

« Reply #837 on: 08 August, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »

This guy:

J

I cycled through exactly there this morning. The water and the non-amphibious car were gone but the shared pavement was strewn with sizeable rocks and other debris.

Once he’d reached that point he didn’t have any good options- either go up onto the dual carriageway which (although it’s legal to ride there), you have to be very, very brave to use on a bike; or go back the other way, carry the bike up and down stairs on a high footbridge, then make a detour up a stiff climb and along a couple of nasty rat run roads, which looks like a ~7KM detour on the route planner I just plotted it on.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #838 on: 08 August, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg recalls someone doing this on a motorbike when the Fulda burst its banks in downtown Kassel when she was a Penniless Student Oaf.  The biker found out the hard way where the entrance to the pedestrian subway was.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #839 on: 22 August, 2019, 03:46:01 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg recalls someone doing this on a motorbike when the Fulda burst its banks in downtown Kassel when she was a Penniless Student Oaf.  The biker found out the hard way where the entrance to the pedestrian subway was.
:D :D :D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #840 on: 27 August, 2019, 07:04:01 pm »

Having done something similar on sustrans finest NCR1, I took my Brompton in for service the next day. Front and rear hubs were fine, BB, needed attention.

J
If a sustrans route looked like that, you probably picked a good day.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

essexian

« Reply #841 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:23:27 am »
Two dicks within 200 yards this morning!

First I came across one on the Toucan Crossing outside ASDA in the centre of Stafford. When the light is red for you and green for me on the road, the idea is that you stop and wait and not, as you did, ride straight out in front of me when I was less than 10 yards away. Happily for you I was going slowly so managed to stop before making a mess all over the road.

And then, just around the corner in Weston Road I was pulling away from the lights which had been red against me, the the second dick decided to undertake me and plonk themselves in front of me right in the centre of the lane. Okay, cycles are traffic but to undertake and then sit up doing 5mph while you played with your phone will result in swearing at you....or it would have if I hadn't had a sick pigeon on board at the time.... or worse from some drivers.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #842 on: 16 September, 2019, 03:23:00 pm »
Cycling Ninja, complete with face mask, on a mini-roundabout in Lewisham this morning who decided that the best way to tackle it was to go around anti-clockwise while I was already turning clockwise from the road immediately to his right. Luckily, my wife spotted him coming from behind* the van that was waiting at the junction and alerted me in time for me to hit the brakes.

* i.e. on the left hand side of
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #843 on: 07 October, 2019, 10:36:21 am »
The two blokes yesterday who decided that rather than use the level crossing where the Bristol to Bath path crosses the short stretch of preserved railway to ride along the path, they would use it to push their bikes along the tracks and take photos of them on the rails. And yes the trains were running yesterday.

« Reply #844 on: 08 October, 2019, 02:52:55 pm »
There's a few un-manned pedestrian crossings on the GWR near me. They'd love it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #845 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:01:42 pm »
I was in a genuine bicycle traffic jam on the shared-use bollocks up to Mr Sainsbury's Emporium Of Toothy Comestibles earlier.  The cause of the hold-up was a FOREIGN PSO on a sensible[1] Ridgeback failing to keep up with her friend on some kind of electric-assist clown bike, particularly on the uphill bit.  I suspect this was because - either through ignorance or mechanical necessity - the gears were in small:small, but the handlebar danglebag certainly wasn't improving matters.

A pedestrian-free gap eventually opened up, and I passed her as she tacked across to the pedestrian side of the path.  This was a tactical error, as she startled and wobbled into me.  Fortunately I was able to avoid actual contact by speeding up[2] and moving right.  The cyclist behind me had dismounted as soon as the Z-axis came into play, so further conflict was avoided.

All in all, I consider this to be a good sign.  People using bikes!  In Birmingham!

[1] Mudguards, rear rack, etc.
[2] I may have reached 10mph.

« Reply #846 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:28:34 pm »
All in all, I consider this to be a good sign.  People using bikes!  In Birmingham!
Yeah, what is the world Birmingham coming to?  15 years ago it felt like I knew 90% the South Birmingham commuter cyclists (4.5 of them) by name. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #847 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:47:17 am »
The POB riding on an unlit country lane at about 7pm last night. No lights. Weaving a bit on the road. Weaving, because she was reading something from her phone, on a road with a 50mph limit.

So not only was she hard for traffic to see, she had no night vision because she was staring into a very bright screen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #848 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:57:48 am »
Yeah, what is the world Birmingham coming to?  15 years ago it felt like I knew 90% the South Birmingham commuter cyclists (4.5 of them) by name.

The rot set in when the Bromptons migrated up from That London...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #849 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:58:39 am »
The POB riding on an unlit country lane at about 7pm last night. No lights. Weaving a bit on the road. Weaving, because she was reading something from her phone, on a road with a 50mph limit.

So not only was she hard for traffic to see, she had no night vision because she was staring into a very bright screen.

On more than one occasion, it's been the light from the screen that's alerted me to their presence.  iPhones are the new pedal reflectors.