Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2017  (Read 32787 times)

Re: Easter Arrow 2017
« Reply #75 on: 17 January, 2017, 12:33:13 pm »
@tiermat Perfect, thanks for the info
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #76 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
Virgin east coast is only showing advanced bookings up until 9th April

I thought you could book 12 weeks in advance?
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #77 on: 22 January, 2017, 02:28:58 pm »
The weekend and bank holiday booking horizon is often shorter: if engineering work is planned but the details haven't been finalised, they can't confirm the timetable.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #78 on: 27 January, 2017, 10:46:35 am »
Tickets for 15th up now.

I got 5 seats in 1st + bike reservations on the 09:53 York to Edin for £26.40 each (£132 total).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #79 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
Tickets for 15th up now.

I got 5 seats in 1st + bike reservations on the 09:53 York to Edin for £26.40 each (£132 total).
12:31 return from York to London. Direct trains to Reading I could not find so plumbed for the London route. The direct trains to Reading have not been available for the last few years. This has been due to the station and will now be impacted by cross rail.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #80 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:50:25 pm »
13:36 (I plan on having a few pints ;) ) York to Galashiels for £17.30!

I'm sure I paid twice that last year

@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #81 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:52:56 pm »
1159 to King's Cross for £15 - cheapest first class ticket would have been £40.

Suppose I'd better ride a bit more this year now.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #82 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »
1159 to King's Cross for £15 - cheapest first class ticket would have been £40.

Suppose I'd better ride a bit more this year now.

A couple of Kingston Wheelers audaxers (KWAC)- Laid Back Rich and myself- are booked on the train just before this at the same price. We hope to field two Arrow teams this year! Our first year of 'Arrowing' (though I personally completed an Arrow as part of a team from Abingdon a few years back).
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Phil W

« Reply #83 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »
Just booked the 13:31 York to Peterborough then Peterborough home. £18-50.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:11:51 pm »
Tickets for 15th up now.

12:31 return from York to London. Direct trains to Reading I could not find so plumbed for the London route. The direct trains to Reading have not been available for the last few years. This has been due to the station and will now be impacted by cross rail.
Does a train from London to Reading cost about the same again?? [that's my experience from looking at prices out to Didcot.]

Not that I'm riding this year, so it's not a problem ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #85 on: 27 January, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
Anyone know if the train from York to Middlesbrough really needs bike reservations?
Regards,

Joergen

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #86 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:13:48 pm »
Anyone know if the train from York to Middlesbrough really needs bike reservations?

Yes and no! According to TPE, you need a reservation. On the other hand, I have rarely been asked for a reservation by the gripper.

It may be advisable if travelling during the day/evening, as there will be a reservation ticket in the bike space, which will be good ammunition when attempting to evict the usual chavvy oiks who like to occupy the tip-up seats!  :-D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #87 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »
Tickets for 15th up now.

Does a train from London to Reading cost about the same again?? [that's my experience from looking at prices out to Didcot.]

Not that I'm riding this year, so it's not a problem ...

Go on the website and look!

I paid £36 all the way to Reading.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:56:41 pm »
Sorry, I inferred that you were getting off at London and riding home, presumably to save a load of cash! my mistake  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #89 on: 27 January, 2017, 09:35:33 pm »
Sorry, I inferred that you were getting off at London and riding home, presumably to save a load of cash! my mistake  :facepalm:
I would ride home but my wife would not like me getting back at midnight.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

« Reply #90 on: 28 January, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »
Who are people booking through generally to get these good prices?  I need to go from York to Liverpool and the only fare I'm getting is £47.30, direct from TransPennine Express or via various travel website...!!!

« Reply #91 on: 28 January, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »

Mr Smith doesn't do arrows any more, but I expect I will join Mr Clarkson. Would you like a lift?

« Reply #92 on: 29 January, 2017, 02:43:19 am »
Who are people booking through generally to get these good prices?  I need to go from York to Liverpool and the only fare I'm getting is £47.30, direct from TransPennine Express or via various travel website...!!!

I booked on the  vermin East coast  website. That ought to do cheapest prices available, and bike reservations.

At any rate, that's true for fares south to London and North too Edinburgh or Inverness: if the cheapest fares from other train companies are special offers, they won't always appear.

In any case, it looks like your £47 fare is an Anytime one, so you can use it on any train that day. My £15 (and others' £22 or £29 or whatever) is an Advance, and only valid on one specific train.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #93 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:05:39 am »

Mr Smith doesn't do arrows any more, but I expect I will join Mr Clarkson. Would you like a lift?

:thumbsup: Potentially - depends on if the Team Car will be joining me at York or not, still some thought to go in to logistics - a brill offer, can I let you know closer to the time?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #94 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:53:45 am »

Potentially - depends on if the Team Car will be joining me at York or not, still some thought to go in to logistics - a brill offer, can I let you know closer to the time?
Of course. Assuming I ride, Mr Smith will be collecting and there's (almost) always room in the van.

« Reply #95 on: 29 January, 2017, 02:42:42 pm »
I booked on the  vermin East coast  website. That ought to do cheapest prices available, and bike reservations.
At any rate, that's true for fares south to London and North too Edinburgh or Inverness: if the cheapest fares from other train companies are special offers, they won't always appear.
In any case, it looks like your £47 fare is an Anytime one, so you can use it on any train that day. My £15 (and others' £22 or £29 or whatever) is an Advance, and only valid on one specific train.

Thx and yes, at least I shouldn't be restricted to specific trains though I do need to look into cycle reservations.  'vermin' / Virgin; typo or comment on their service?!?!

« Reply #96 on: 30 January, 2017, 05:15:39 pm »
For the first time I am planning to join an arrow to York this year, it looks like Kingston Wheelers may even be sending two teams  :)
Are any other teams planning to meet in York on Sunday morning?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #97 on: 30 January, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
If it helps, I'm going to ride back to Howden and I got a £12.50 single to Kings Cross plus on-line travel reservation.  I do have to roll down to Howden, but reckon I can do that after a couple of breakfast and possible some dark brown recovery potion.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #98 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
Any riders in/near Oxfordshire still looking for a team?

I'm trying to pull together an arrow team to ride from Oxfordshire. I'll be looking to plan a fairly flat course if I can, this is a competition based on distance after all! (Can one get AAA points for an Arrow ride, I wonder?)

« Reply #99 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:07:40 pm »
I'm looking for a team to cycle to from Milton Keynes.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!