Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638026 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #700 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:27:07 pm »
That was what I was wondering...
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #701 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:38:04 pm »
See, I'm an admirer of Moultons for their design, but I've never ridden one.  Never really wanted to; I like looking at them, and it's nice that other people find a use for them etc.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #702 on: 07 December, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

Sorte Jernherst Trike. Front wheel drive, rear wheel steering. For sale in a 'discount' cycle shop. Definitely going to try to get a test ride.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #703 on: 07 December, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »
Saw a lovely old Carlton zooming through Balham this morning.  Young lad obviously enjoying metal older than him :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #704 on: 08 December, 2010, 02:39:54 pm »

Sorte Jernherst Trike. Front wheel drive, rear wheel steering. For sale in a 'discount' cycle shop. Definitely going to try to get a test ride.

That's absolutely barking (and could be absolutely inovative, if they've overcome the steering issues). DO report back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #705 on: 08 December, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »
That's absolutely barking (and could be absolutely inovative, if they've overcome the steering issues). DO report back.

...or just lethal, if they haven't. :-\

Rear wheel steering is generally a bad idea.  The only place I've ever seen it used successfully at speed (ie faster than a fork lift truck) was on ThrustSSC, and the Mini that they used to test the rear steering system on.

I've also seen rear wheel steer HPVs crash quite spectacularly!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #706 on: 09 December, 2010, 11:28:46 am »
I've seen a few fully-functional FWD / RWS recumbent trikes, mostly from the Old Days.  The Jouta brothers built a production one into the 90's; the Sturmey Flying 5, the Hawker-Hudspith and Simon Sanderson's phenomenally-mis-monikered Panzer were one-off's which worked very well.

OTOH I still have the scars to show what can happen with an unsorted one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

gordon taylor

« Reply #707 on: 12 December, 2010, 07:55:09 am »
In Stafford yesterday:

Complete with indicator switches on the steering wheel. There's a tiny straight handlebar below the steering wheel which has normal brake levers fitted. I saw a young guy riding it at speed a bit later.

!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #708 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »
Saw a nice Islabikes Luath 700 at Sainsburys in Colliers Wood.  Locked to a Trek hybrid.  Luath looked nice, though.  I noticed that it had a computer mount.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #709 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »
>Gordy
What's the black box nestled between the frame tubes? Is it some kind of alarm, or is it a battery for the indicators?

Whatever it is, that's a strange bike (and, I'm afraid, one of the ugliest I've ever seen).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #710 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
Only slightly unusual, but it piqued my interest.

A dark grey/black non-shiny Ribble, with road gearing (big double, etc), Tiagra rear, ITM forks. So far so normal, but it had a dynohub & associated lighting, a rack with a proper rack-mounted rear light which looked like the Basta Zoom, IIRC -

& as well as the computer mount a Rixen + Kaul mini-adapter

on the handlebars. All in all, it looked like the sort of bike some people here might ride.

Locked up outside Reading library this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #711 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:36:48 pm »
So not unusual, but interesting and by the sound of it, attractive. That's good.  :)

« Reply #712 on: 22 December, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »

...or just lethal, if they haven't. :-\

Rear wheel steering is generally a bad idea.  The only place I've ever seen it used successfully at speed (ie faster than a fork lift truck) was on ThrustSSC, and the Mini that they used to test the rear steering system on.

I've also seen rear wheel steer HPVs crash quite spectacularly!

Yeah, having already scared myself on a winther kangeroo and a christiania because of steering wobbles from underdamped steering, I'll be checking for a sufficiently stiff damper before I put my eldest in.

Actually, I should probably ride it alone first. I suspect it's going to be scary.

« Reply #713 on: 01 January, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
Another only slightly unusual but rather pleasing bike, locked up outside Reading library on Wednesday:- a classic Peugeot refitted with a 7 speed Shimano hub - but a triple on the front. Various other new bits, as well. Obviously a loved bike.

Why do I never have my camera when I see them?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #714 on: 02 January, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »
Yesterday, we saw a chap on a Raleigh Olympus.  Quite an old thing.  His partner had a new hybrid.  We saw another mismatched pair a couple of days ago, with a chap on a carbon fibre toy waiting impatiently for a partner on an ancient roadster.

In Sutton yesterday, I saw a little girl being carried on the top tube of a rod-braked roadster.  They were riding in the shopping streets, where motor vehicles are not allowed.

Today, we saw a kid-carrying trike near Northcote Road, called something like a Bebboe.

Butterfly has tried Googling that, and has found it to be a Googlewhack.

It's actually a Babboe, she's just found.
Getting there...

« Reply #715 on: 05 January, 2011, 08:54:40 pm »
Anybody on the lookout for a 'Kiddie-front tandem":D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #716 on: 08 January, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »
Today, being wheeled across a pedestrian crossing, what looked like an MTB with front suspension and an unusual double-headlight set up which was fixed to the fork crown, and a head tube badge showing the blue and white quadrants of everyone's favourite post-war saycepan manufacturer. I only caught a glimpse of it, as it was hidden behind other people and I had my eye more on my son, so can't say anything more about the bike or why it was being wheeled not ridden.

« Reply #717 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:09:22 pm »
I saw a Hase Pino near the magistrates court in Lavender hill today. It had a small stoker and I think it may have been heading towards Latchmere swimming pool, as it had a swimming noodle thing on the back :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #718 on: 21 January, 2011, 09:47:22 am »
This morning, I saw that beautiful Ellis Briggs again.  It belongs to a woman on LFGSS, and she tells me it was in a right state when she got it.  Now, it's maroon & chrome, which sets off the beautiful lugs perfectly.  Skeleton brake calipers (Campag?) and singlespeeded.  Flat bars are a bit incongruous, but it's her bike, and she loves it.  I think it is lovely too.  Riding up behind her, the chrome shows off the pencil seatstays marvellously.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #719 on: 21 January, 2011, 09:53:07 am »
Parked outside my gym again, a red, well-kept Steve Goff.  The reason if caught my eye was the top tube: horizontal until a few inches from the seat post, then it angle up.  It just looks 'wrong'.  Otherwise, a nice bike.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #720 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:00:03 am »
Is it a lo-pro?

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention a spiffing SS Rourke I saw at Elephant & Castle.  The owner looked a bit hipser-ish, but it's a good looking bike.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #721 on: 21 January, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »
I've goggled but can't find a picture.  Guess I'll just have to take a photo myself, then remember to actually do something with it when I get home.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #722 on: 30 January, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »
Came across a Dawes Galaxy labelled "Ice blade"  today, anyone know of them? Unfortunately no camera with me. Also the brakes on the bike  were very unusual. sealed caliper end units suggesting hydraulics with no visible/apparent cables and unusually large fretted caliper arms.

Edit: Found the brakes

Magura HS33 MIG Limited Edition Hydraulic Rim Brakes  Levers : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #723 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:10:50 am »
On Friday's commute in to work, I saw a Kingcycle recumbent near Stockwell.  It was a bit tired, but still cool.  You almost never see 'bents in Sarf Lahndan.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #724 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
On Friday's commute in to work, I saw a Kingcycle recumbent near Stockwell.  It was a bit tired, but still cool.  You almost never see 'bents in Sarf Lahndan.

I saw a Kettwiesel parked outside a cafe on Coldharbour Lane in Camberwell last November.  Must have been somebody passing through having stopped to refuel.  Certainly haven't seen it around since.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher