Author Topic: I just ordered a Pizza.  (Read 7679 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: I just ordered a Pizza.
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:35:17 pm »
Egg on Pizza is just fucking wrong to start with, no matter how it's cooked....

... so I guess you'd frown at a side order of baked beans then?

Rob

« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:51:16 pm »
...And I decided to go with an extra topping of pineapple. If you're uncomfortable with that, you can do what I can only describe as "ONE!"

I would never have pineapple on a pizza, because I really like simple trad Italian pizzas and I'm not fond at all of the American style.....but, if you are, pineapple goes really well with red chillies, so...

ian

« Reply #27 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:58:42 pm »
Egg on Pizza is just fucking wrong to start with, no matter how it's cooked....

... so I guess you'd frown at a side order of baked beans then?

Rob

It's quite possible I'm hallucinating, but I'm sure Heinz used to do a baked bean and sausage pizza. O be still my giddy heart.

ETA: I'm not joking, my heart rate staggered up from the usual doldrums of 50bpm to a whopping 77 at the thought of this majestic creation, and it did actually exist!

« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »
You're not supposed to have chicken on pizza, but somehow it's become the UKs favourite topping. I blame the schools

« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:29:43 am »
...And I decided to go with an extra topping of pineapple. If you're uncomfortable with that, you can do what I can only describe as "ONE!"

I would never have pineapple on a pizza, because I really like simple trad Italian pizzas and I'm not fond at all of the American style.....but, if you are, pineapple goes really well with red chillies, so...

I much prefer American style pizza. I remember having a pizza in Turin and it was rank.

Thinking about it, I've had curries in south Asian countries that were shit. Give me my local any day. Way better than that shite...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:38:41 am »
I read a great article by a food journalist living in Italy (probably Rachel Roddy). For months she kept asking her local takeaway pizza place for an pizza with two toppings (neither of them that controversial) lets call them X and Y and they always said "no its not possible there is no such thing as an X and Y pizza". This is despite X and Y both being well known pizza toppings in Italy and an X and Z and a Y ad Z pizza being on their printed menu. One day instead of a asking for an X and Y pizza she asked for a Y and X pizza "yes no problem". Apparently Y and X is in the list of traditional pizzas but X and Y isnt ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 22 January, 2019, 10:39:26 am »
Salt and pepper versus pepper and salt.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 22 January, 2019, 11:54:11 am »
Authenticity geeks annoy me. It's like the bores who lecture that 'chicken tikka' isn't something people would eat in India etc. I don't care. If you want to have a chicken tandoori pizza, that's great. Italy does some fantastic pizza, but equally some awful. American pizza, the deep dish kind, is an entirely different food and has its own cheesy merits.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 22 January, 2019, 12:14:50 pm »
I'm sure I've seen chicken tikka on menus in India. It might well be a "reverse introduction" but it's there. And chicken is the default meat in India, for various reasons.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #34 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:15:42 pm »
You get chicken tikka. Its the whole chicken tikka masala that is a British invention. I have no problem with it, its a British curry. ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:25:51 pm »
Masala just means a blend or mixture (of spices). There are various masalas, as in garam masala, "hot mixture". But you get masala dosa, for instance, so no reason not to have chicken masala.

« Reply #36 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:32:40 pm »
Authenticity geeks annoy me. It's like the bores who lecture that 'chicken tikka' isn't something people would eat in India etc. I don't care. If you want to have a chicken tandoori pizza, that's great. Italy does some fantastic pizza, but equally some awful. American pizza, the deep dish kind, is an entirely different food and has its own cheesy merits.

They don't annoy me. I know that if I go to an Indian restaurant in the UK there is a 99% chance that it won't serve Indian food. How do I know this? Because I've been all over India. You might like Chicken Tikka Masala...but it is not Indian food..It is inauthentic. Bad pizza in Italy? Never had one. You want bad pizza? Then go back to Vietnam in the 90s. I once got some sort of semi-cooked dough, covered in ketchup with a few Dairylea triangles on top.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:39:35 pm »
Mmm, Dairylea triangles on pizza. That sounds awesome.

I've been to India and like most places the 'authentic' food mostly splits into two categories, brown and red. Red is spicier. It's never as good as people claim and usually results in a deep and profound expression of one's love for cold porcelain.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »
I am lucky that when I go I get great home cooked food. Its always good and often neither red or brown. ;)

However, that time I ate vegan at an ashram in Orissa. Both ends. Both bloody ends at once.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2019, 02:43:03 pm »
Indian food is great and the best thing about it (I mean food in India, as opposed to Indian food in other countries, though I tend to like that too) is that it's almost always made fresh.

« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »
I think some British people can find done Indian food bland because it isn't greasy and often the spicing is subtle.  I've had amazing food in the humbled of places, and of course the street snacks are fantastic. It's always the sign of a proper Indian restaurant in UK if they have chaat on the menu.

ian

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:03:17 pm »
To be fair, I've nothing against proper foreign food, it's just the people who go on and on about how it's nothing like that time we were in so-and-so, did I mentioned we were there, oh and we had etc. bloody etc. Indian food in the UK is mostly awful not because it's anglicized, but mostly because we seem to have the lowest of all possible expectations. I've lost track of the number of Indian restaurants and takeaways I've had recommended to me and they're generally disappointing. One of the things I really miss now I teeter on the edge of the great metropolis is a decent Indian, there's nothing in the jungles of Surrey but disappointment and bears.

On other matters, I am now resolved to put Dairylea triangles on my next pizza creation.

« Reply #42 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:39:37 pm »
That is probably because the central London Indian eateries may be authentic, whereas the ones in Surrey are the same Bengali shite that infects the rest of rest of the provinces.

It's fine by me that people eat that shit, but it's as close to Indian food as Taco Bell is to Mexican.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #43 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:50:32 pm »
Mmm, spicey bears.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:53:29 pm »
Believe it or not, Taco Bell have tried to launch in Mexico not just once, but several times. Now that's optimism for you.

« Reply #45 on: 22 January, 2019, 06:02:34 pm »
Believe it or not, Taco Bell have tried to launch in Mexico not just once, but several times. Now that's optimism for you.

Have the Mexicans stopped laughing yet?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #46 on: 22 January, 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
Possibly they could be enticed into building a big wall to keep them out.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #47 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:37:31 pm »
This thread sparked a pizza craving.  So I had a veggie-topped pizza - onion, sweetcorn, mushroom, tomatoes, and peppers.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #48 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:09:19 pm »
Pizza is best with pineapple. It stops everyone pinching it. I like sweetcorn, onion and pineapple, with spinach if it is 4 toppings.  :)

Is that a craving?
You get chicken tikka. Its the whole chicken tikka masala that is a British invention. I have no problem with it, its a British curry. ;)

So is curry powder.

To be fair, I've nothing against proper foreign food, it's just the people who go on and on about how it's nothing like that time we were in so-and-so, did I mentioned we were there, oh and we had etc. bloody etc. Indian food in the UK is mostly awful not because it's anglicized, but mostly because we seem to have the lowest of all possible expectations. I've lost track of the number of Indian restaurants and takeaways I've had recommended to me and they're generally disappointing. One of the things I really miss now I teeter on the edge of the great metropolis is a decent Indian, there's nothing in the jungles of Surrey but disappointment and bears.

On other matters, I am now resolved to put Dairylea triangles on my next pizza creation.

India/indian sub continent is massive and food is very different depending where you go. 

Agree on the low expectations.  Look at spicy foods...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #49 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:14:50 pm »
Fried egg and spinach is a classic pizza.

Not 100% correct, for an authentic Fiorentina, the egg is cooked on the pizza base, not fried then put on the pizza.

Is right.