Author Topic: Willy Warmer 31st Jan  (Read 66453 times)

Re: Willy Warmer 31st Jan
« Reply #175 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:41:57 am »
Filthy red Condor fixed with Carradice Barley and a slack chain.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #176 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:47:15 am »
I shall be there.  May I have a place on the floor of the community centre as well?

« Reply #177 on: 28 January, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »

We know about your facial hair, the question concerned your bike.

That's the last time I sleep with you.

LEE

« Reply #178 on: 28 January, 2009, 04:41:28 pm »
The weather folks at the BBC, MET and Metcheck are in agreement at the moment.  2C start and then 6C throughout the day.  Sunny intervals and a breezy South-Easterly.

Can't realistically ask for better than that.  No ice and no rain forecast at the moment.  Cakes forecast around Hungerford area.

« Reply #179 on: 28 January, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »
Given that this is January, hard to hope for much better.  The "shape" of the ride is such that there will be hardly anywhere where a southeasterly will be on our back, but plenty where it will be in our face.

Ho hum.  And still plenty of time for it to change.

I wonder if the new name of the cafe in Pangbourne indicates new owners, and if so whether they are a bit quicker serving than the last lot.  If so I might even stay for a cuppa.  Tutti Pole is always good.  I was there recently, and they are expecting us, so there should be plenty of staff.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #180 on: 28 January, 2009, 06:50:50 pm »
Oh dear, what have I done.  After PM'ing Mr M and the transfer of some electrons, I seem to have committed myself to doing 200km on Saturday.  :o

It's been 25 years since I've cycled that way beyond Reading.  Have the roads changed much?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Chris S

« Reply #181 on: 28 January, 2009, 07:27:07 pm »
Wow - quite a yACF clan gathering it would seem. We'd better wear name badges.

I shall probably bring the Pompino.

« Reply #182 on: 28 January, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
It's been 25 years since I've cycled that way beyond Reading.  Have the roads changed much?
No

Chris S

« Reply #183 on: 28 January, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »
No

Hehe - by that, Phil means none of them have been resurfaced in that time  ;).

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #184 on: 28 January, 2009, 08:27:13 pm »
Look for a pile of mud with some wheels sticking out and that will be my Thorn Rohloff.

That sounds like a pretty good description of mine too.  Although on closer inspection, most of the muck seems to be road-salt rather than actual mud.  In any case, given the state of the roads round here, cleaning looks like a pretty futile effort.

This'll be my first Audax.  I'm not nervous.  Oh no.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #185 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:11:59 pm »
No

Hehe - by that, Phil means none of them have been resurfaced in that time  ;).

Resurfaced?

You mean, they were surfaced once? :o ;D

border-rider

« Reply #186 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:14:32 pm »
West Berks has some of the most shockingly poor road surfaces in the UK.  When you cross into Wilts there's a sudden improvement.

LEE

« Reply #187 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
West Berks has some of the most shockingly poor road surfaces in the UK.  When you cross into Wilts there's a sudden improvement.

I think the steep descent into Ramsbury (I'm sure you know it MV) is just about on the border.  I nearly lost my teeth coming down there once.  The local council probably referred to it as 'in need of resurfacing' but, in Derbyshire, they call them caverns and charge tourists to look at them.

It was one of those "I can't believe my wheels are in one piece" moments.

Trust me when I say, the last thing you need on that descent is great chunks of missing road.

LEE

« Reply #188 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
I seem to have picked up a bit of a chesty cough.  I felt OK on my ride this evening (not weak or anything) so I'm hoping it's nothing to prevent me riding this one.

« Reply #189 on: 29 January, 2009, 05:48:30 am »
  Tutti Pole is always good.  I was there recently, and they are expecting us, so there should be plenty of staff.

Do they still wear those uniforms that seem designed solely to embarrass the teenage waiting staff?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #190 on: 29 January, 2009, 08:05:15 am »
  Tutti Pole is always good.  I was there recently, and they are expecting us, so there should be plenty of staff.

Do they still wear those uniforms that seem designed solely to embarrass the teenage waiting staff?

Certainly did last time I was there.

Dreamy.

H

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #191 on: 29 January, 2009, 08:40:13 am »

I get the impression that the proprietor of the Tutti Pole thinks that they make the place look authentically rustic in some way.  I can only assume that said proprietor is some form of halfwit because what they actually succeed in doing is making the girls (and did you notice that there are no boys working the tables there?) so surly and pissed off that getting your order taken is an exercise in learning how to communicate in teenage sucky-teethish.

I'd not be surprised if they spit in your beans, flick boogers into tea pots and take the occasional crap in the cake tins, too.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #192 on: 29 January, 2009, 08:43:03 am »
Yes, it's pathetic making teenage girls dress like that.  They should wake up and join the modern, more enlightened, world.

I'm thinking "Hooters"

annie

« Reply #193 on: 29 January, 2009, 09:24:20 am »
So sorry I won't be able to attend.  Sadly my jim jams won't stay up and until I can fill them again I will have to stay at home. >:( O:-)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #194 on: 29 January, 2009, 10:21:10 am »
Yes, it's pathetic making teenage girls dress like that.  They should wake up and join the modern, more enlightened, world.

I'm thinking "Hooters"

It could be renamed "The Titti Pole"

H

LEE

« Reply #195 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:38:38 am »

I'm thinking "Hooters"

It could be renamed "The Titti Pole"

H

A typo like that, on a "Willy Warmer" audax and you could be talking PBP-like numbers.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #196 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »
So sorry I won't be able to attend.  Sadly my jim jams won't stay up and until I can fill them again I will have to stay at home. >:( O:-)

With giardiasis, you ought to be able to fill your jim jams, the bath and the odd bucket.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #197 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »
With giardiasis, you ought to be able to fill your jim jams, the bath and the odd bucket.

Speaking of suchlike, if I don't get better in a hurry I fear I may DNS.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #198 on: 29 January, 2009, 04:13:09 pm »
I don't get better in a hurry I fear I may DNS.

Drench Newbury in Shit?  It won't make much difference.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #199 on: 29 January, 2009, 04:17:05 pm »

Drench Newbury in Shit?  It won't make much difference.

You seem to have gone potty.