Author Topic: Rear Hub Broken, Seeking New  (Read 5036 times)

Re: Rear Hub Broken, Seeking New
« Reply #25 on: 23 March, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »
I guess I'll buy the same Ultegra 32 holes.

While waiting for parts for replacement wheel (Mavic Open Pro, DT-Swiss Competition, Ultegra 32 hub) yours truly has a Brevet 600 to ride this weekend.

The only other wheels I have are one year old Shimano RS10 with about 1700 km.
I use them for commuting and around town. Had no problems with them.
Feared that the rear is only 24 spokes, so had no saddle luggage. Handlebar bag only.

After 110 km, standing on a climb, I hear some rubbing noises from the rear.
I couldn't stop, as the road was busy, and heard nothing in the flat afterwards, so forgot about it.
At 130 km, on the next climb, standing - I hear the same noise.
Stopped, and saw the wheel rubbing the breaks. Opened the brakes, and continued to the next junction.
A spoke was broken at the nipple, and no nipple to be seen.
The wheel looked like a pringle, and luckily I was able to reach the train station 6 km away.
The nipple was found inside the wheel. I have no idea why the tube wasn't pinched to death.

My first ever DNF due to technical.

I believe my future wheels will not have any Shimano parts in them...
Tweet is here, and the pic is attached to this post, so no need to click the Twitter link.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2018, 07:22:56 pm »
I only know how to swear in English and French. How about you?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 24 March, 2018, 09:46:08 pm »
if you are going to have cheap wheels that are not stress-relieved properly, I advise you to have them with enough spokes in them that you can break one without the wheel becoming unrideable.

RS10 wheels are built from components that are not intrinsically unreliable, but any wheel that isn't stress relieved  (or that sees salt spray without corrosion protection) is liable to break spokes.

It might even be that the same underlying cause (eg salt spray) has resulted both the ultegra hub failure and the RS10 spoke breakage.

cheers