Author Topic: Electric skateboards  (Read 1573 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Electric skateboards
« on: 07 May, 2018, 02:37:29 pm »
One of the things we have now that we live in The Future is skateboarders who can ride uphill, rather than catching the bus up and skatebaording down like in the old days.

It seems that electric skateboards are gaining popularity as a personal transport solution amongst a certain demographic of the local students.  I rode alongside a couple of them for a little while last week, it seems the top speed under power isn't very impressive by bicycle standards, but do you really want to skateboard at much above running speed anyway?

Totally illegal, of course, but it's hard not to see the advantages.  When you're not riding it, you can just strap it to your bag or carry it around with you.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Electric skateboards
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2018, 04:43:46 pm »
I thought the self-balancing electric unicycle, another illegal entity, was also pretty cool. The larger wheel wouldn't jam/stall on minor surface irregularities.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:27:53 am »
Yep, the electric skateboard (eboard?) seems to have taken over from the electric self-balancing unicycle things, which in turn had taken over from Segways (which never actually made it as a transport device or even a toy AFAICS). Apparently in San Francisco and doubtless other places too there's been a big fuss about electric scooters (that is electric kickalong scooters not electric mopeds).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:17:26 pm »
I thought the self-balancing electric unicycle, another illegal entity, was also pretty cool.

As with 'hoverboards', best combined with crinolines.

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:58:32 pm »
I've seen a few of the electric scooters (look like kids toys but with real oomph) around Oxford.  Usually being used on bike paths.

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:22:43 am »
The 'Outdoors Instructor' at the school I work at rode her electric skateboard in to work this morning - about 6 miles on mainly shared use path!  :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:08:38 am »

I see quite a few variants of the electric skateboard or scooter around Amsterdam. Not as popular as the bikes, and the tiny casters they use as wheels seem suboptimal for the block paving that the Dutch seem to be infatuated with, but they are certainly entertaining to watch.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/