Author Topic: Dartford Crossing  (Read 10072 times)

Dartford Crossing
« on: 12 May, 2009, 01:57:16 pm »
I just found and glanced at this LCC pamphlet "Transporting Your Bicycle".  On page 7 it says:

Dartford Tunnel Cycle Service There is no cycling in the tunnel so they provide a bus to transport you and your cycle. Call 01322 221603 for more information.  Going in the other direction you can cycle over the bridge.

(Underlining mine).

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, and you have to use the crossing service to be carried across in both directions.  Anyone know better?  (also I don't think a bus has run for forty years, so it's a Land Rover with a bike carrier, or trailer if there are lots of you).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Dartford Crossing
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2009, 02:09:12 pm »
I just found and glanced at this LCC pamphlet "Transporting Your Bicycle".  On page 7 it says:

Dartford Tunnel Cycle Service There is no cycling in the tunnel so they provide a bus to transport you and your cycle. Call 01322 221603 for more information.  Going in the other direction you can cycle over the bridge.

(Underlining mine).

I'm pretty sure this is wrong, and you have to use the crossing service to be carried across in both directions.  Anyone know better?  (also I don't think a bus has run for forty years, so it's a Land Rover with a bike carrier, or trailer if there are lots of you).

You are correct.  Cyclists are not allowed in the tunnels or over the bridge.  See page 7 of the Le Crossing (yep - that's what it's called now) Customer Service Leaflet.

Although there was some discussion about possibly arranging a ride from North to South over the bridge.  Le Crossing didn't say a definite "no" to the idea of an organised event.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »
Although there was some discussion about possibly arranging a ride from North to South over the bridge.  Le Crossing didn't say a definite "no" to the idea of an organised event.

If you hear any more, let me know :)

Over the bridge or through the tunnel - I've always been landrovered across, other than when they used vauxhalls.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »
What is the Landrovering experience like?  Much waiting?  Bike doesn't get scratched?

I cycled through the tunnel once without getting stopped - but that was some years ago when I was a naughty boy.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2009, 03:56:07 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to try cycling through the tunnel, when it was opened in the mid 60s, the crossing took approximately 5 million vehicles a year, now it takes over 50 million a year. :o

I've only taken the crossing on a Landrover once, on the old FNRttC route to Southend.  Even though Simon rang them multiple times (iirc, a few days before hand, on the day of the ride, as we left London, an hour or so before we arrived, half an hour before we arrived, and just before we arrived) they still took over an hour to get the first vehicle to the group.  It then took two trailers loads, with some cyclists in the back of the Landrovers, and two or three mini-bus loads before we all got across.  I think it was well over two hours to get us all across, and it was damned cold standing around waiting.  Luckily the weather was merely chilly, and not raining, but clearly the bridge authorities couldn't give a rats arse about cyclists.

As far as I know no bikes got scratched, even though they were pretty tightly packed onto the trailer.  The end of one of my Cateye bike lights fell off (it was a mistake to leave the lights on the bike), which made me swear a bit, but when I got to the services, someone had picked it up, and was wandering around asking if anyone knew who had lost it. :thumbsup:

Possibly not so bad in daylight hours, and if there are only a few of you they can use a carrier on the back of a Landrover, so it should be appreciably quicker, but I don't think I'll make a habit of using that route.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:00:58 pm »
I've only ridden the route on my own, not in a group.

Worst delay was 20 minutes.  Usual process is to load up immediately (short delay while rack slotted onto van).

The staff won't touch your bike, they put the rack on and then get into the driving seat.  Most racks do have foam padding.  Bungee cords supplied are sometimes in poor state, so I do have a spare in the pannier*, but usually if the rack is in too poor a state then you can persuade them to use a different rack.

Andrij, I still owe you a new cord, haven't forgotten.

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:02:41 pm »
Possibly not so bad in daylight hours, and if there are only a few of you they can use a carrier on the back of a Landrover, so it should be appreciably quicker, but I don't think I'll make a habit of using that route.

Even when there were only two of us, we've ended up having to wait about an hour and a half (though some vehicles had just gone "crunch" inna tunnel, so we were a relatively low priority for the tunnel staff). :(

I guess having a tandem doesn't help - they have to go and find the flat-bed trailer to carry it, and no-one can remember where it lives... ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »
The unfortunate thing about the tunnel is where it ends up.

Same goes for the bridge, mind you...
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:09:02 pm »

Oi!!!  >:( >:( >:(

I'm an old Purfleet boy, I'll have you know.  Those who have done the FNRttC when I have been in attendance will know the various delights offered by the the north bank of the Thames in that area...  ;)

Green Party Councillor

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »
I'm not sure I'd want to try cycling through the tunnel

It was easy to cycle most of it at lorry-speed, iirc - but illegal, so of course I do not condone it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2009, 05:07:04 pm »

Andrij, I still owe you a new cord, haven't forgotten.

I had.

Not counting FRNttC I've been taken through the tunnel twice, while riding solo.  I think the longest wait I had was 15 minutes.  No hassles, and I got dropped off where I wanted - not at their northern office.  I was lucky - the first time the rather pleasant woman who drove me through asked where I was going.  Upon explaining she decided "I'll drop you off near the A13 rather than the office - and this way I can just hit the roundabout and head back south".
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »

When she lived in faaaaaaackin' Essex my grate frend Dai Infidel used to use the word "thurrock", and variations thereof, as a Bad Swear.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:46:42 pm »
I'm not telling you this (in case it compromises my success).

If heading south over the crossing, remember "Cotton Lane".  linky

If the patrol driver leaves at the first exit, then turns right at the roundabout onto the B2228 instead of left to the tunnel offices, they can drop you off in a wide safe junction (arrowed) which saves you a big climb and also riding through a major junction, if you happen to be heading into Kent via a sensible route (this is the route I use for coming home from Brighton after FNRttc).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:29:53 pm »
How fortuitous that this thread exists! I'm intending to cross the Thames on Saturday on a solo machine. I was wondering about turn-round times. If I phoned them in advance do you think they would meet me at Grays Station? :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2009, 08:06:50 am »

I'm an old Purfleet boy, I'll have you know.  Those who have done the FNRttC when I have been in attendance will know the various delights offered by the the north bank of the Thames in that area...  ;)

No, I kept my eyes shut and held my breath. It was the only way
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2009, 08:59:51 am »

No, I kept my eyes shut and held my breath. It was the only way

I could swear I saw you taking notes...  :P

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »
It's a fair cop, dogging to the left, cruising to the right, margarine store hidden for film, knights templar hiding grail, pilgrims crossing river.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 14 November, 2014, 02:42:32 pm »
I have just transferred my "Dart Tag" account into a new "Dart Charge" account, the chief difference being that I will now pay an extra 20% for the privilege of visiting Kent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 15 November, 2014, 02:05:02 pm »
It has always struck me as stupid that you can cycle or walk over this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_de_Normandie (in a segregated pedestrian/cycle lane), but not over the bridge at Dartford, which is considerably lower and less exposed.

Both have motorway class roads over but, as always, the French seem to have given things a little more thought. 

PS - if you fancy trying it, it's a bit of a faff to find the local road that leads you on to the start of the cycle route, but it's well worth it for the views as you go over.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #19 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:44:07 pm »
We managed to get it right on the Severn crossing in 1966 but wrong in 1996...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20 on: 15 November, 2014, 06:47:06 pm »

Which  rather demonstrates the change in mindset in transport planning between the 60s and the 90s.

We got it right on the Humber Bridge and Forth Road Bridge too. The Tay bridge feels like a real fudge with the lift at one end but I suppose that works as well.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #21 on: 15 November, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »

Which  rather demonstrates the change in mindset in transport planning between the 60s and the 90s.

We got it right on the Humber Bridge and Forth Road Bridge too. The Tay bridge feels like a real fudge with the lift at one end but I suppose that works as well.

It also highlights how politicians of all flavours spout so much guff when they talk about being committed to something. They've talked about being committed to reducing carbon emissions for so many years now, talked about being committed to cycling, and yet when it comes to actually do something useful they seem to struggle.

I have to wonder, given the cost of building the bridge over the Severn, whether it's really so much to ask to add a lane so cyclists can use it too. If there's really a concern about cyclists or pedestrians jumping from the bridge and it's not viable to build the sides high enough to make it impractical then put the bike lane down the middle of it, accessed by a bridge or tunnel.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 15 November, 2014, 08:02:20 pm »
It's been ages since I used the Dartford crossing.  Does the bridge even have service paths like the Severn/Forth Road/Humber (which were presumably built for maintenance access without disrupting traffic, rather than for the benefit of cyclists/pedestrians)?

« Reply #23 on: 16 November, 2014, 01:56:03 am »
I don't think it does - don't remember noticing any when I've used it, and if there is one, it's exceptionally hard to see in StreetView.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 16 November, 2014, 12:27:56 pm »
Right, so if they had no pressing engineering reason to build appropriate paths, then it makes economic sense that they chose to provide a bus service for non-motorised traffic, on the basis that it's vastly cheaper.

(Unless of course the designer had thought to include paths as future-proofing against cutbacks to the bus service, but it seems unlikely that anyone thought of pedestrians/cyclists as anything but an inconvenience.)