Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625538 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10300 on: 06 September, 2018, 10:47:57 am »
Bird's in Uttoxeter: I appreciate that you have the right to prepare whatever foodstuffs you want, but is it really that hard to make 3 ham, egg, salad and mayo sarnies for our lunch order?  You do ham, you do egg, but...

« Reply #10301 on: 06 September, 2018, 11:22:30 am »
HK has just reported the same milk availability problem.

As soon as I read the email, I changed my payment card for my milk account and took an emergency milk out of the freezer.

David insisted on putting out the milk bag, which I thought was futile.

This morning, I receive an email apologising for failure of their payment system.

David went out and found two bottles in the milk bag.

There is now too much milk in the fridge...

I had the first email, but not the second, but my deliveries turned up as usual this week. When I wentt o the website to see if I could add some pay as you go extras to replace the cancelled things there was a banner apologising for their payment problems and saying that deliveries would happen as normal, so I left it.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10302 on: 06 September, 2018, 05:18:33 pm »
HK has just reported the same milk availability problem.

As soon as I read the email, I changed my payment card for my milk account and took an emergency milk out of the freezer.

David insisted on putting out the milk bag, which I thought was futile.

This morning, I receive an email apologising for failure of their payment system.

David went out and found two bottles in the milk bag.

There is now too much milk in the fridge...

I had the first email, but not the second, but my deliveries turned up as usual this week. When I wentt o the website to see if I could add some pay as you go extras to replace the cancelled things there was a banner apologising for their payment problems and saying that deliveries would happen as normal, so I left it.

The problem occurred on Sunday night and must have been resolved within a few hours. If you don't have a Monday delivery, you would not have been troubled.

« Reply #10303 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
I was hoping for a quiet last night to my camping tour. No such luck, the place is overrun with Pre-teen kids, a school party or youth group. The shrieking is annoying. Hopefully they’ll be sent to bed early.  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10304 on: 06 September, 2018, 09:36:03 pm »
New conservatory will be £7750 (on existing base) but that is with a glass roof, not polycarbonate which has caused all the problems, and includes removal of the existing one.  Not too bad and ought to get the money back when I sell - the existing one is a bit of an eyesore with its mouldy, sagged roof, even without the leaks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10305 on: 07 September, 2018, 07:40:11 am »
Had the misfortune of having to use a train this week. I went to use the brand new 1800 space multistorey car park at the station. It's Pay & Display and currently CASH ONLY....

2018, folks. You can be pretty sure that anyone arriving by car to a train station is in 'a rush', so why are they asking folk to mess around with coins and machines? Plate recognition and pay-on-exit seems almost ubiquitous elsewhere. Honestly, I ask you....

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10306 on: 07 September, 2018, 07:41:31 am »
New conservatory will be £7750 (on existing base) but that is with a glass roof, not polycarbonate which has caused all the problems, and includes removal of the existing one.  Not too bad and ought to get the money back when I sell - the existing one is a bit of an eyesore with its mouldy, sagged roof, even without the leaks.

Looks like a good price that.  The glass roof makes the room much lighter. Ours has some coating which is supposed to make it self cleaning - think it does, a bit, but only when it rains! But it's much cleaner than the old polycarbonate one was.

I think the whole rook is great value - it's like sitting in the garden, and I can do my saxophone practice without excessive complaints from SWMBO about how loud the sax is.  But she plays the flute, which is no match for the sax decibels.

Need to turn the storage heater on in ours, it's decidedly chilly in the mornings now.

« Reply #10307 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:46:35 pm »
Grrrr. Check-in for my flight home didn’t open until after I left the country, so I have checked in with the app as usual. So far so good. Can I have my boarding pass please? No, it has to be printed. Not much chance of finding a printer out here.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #10308 on: 07 September, 2018, 02:05:47 pm »
I've never printed a boarding pass ever. Either on my phone or collect at the airport.

« Reply #10309 on: 07 September, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
I will have to see. David the Builder Airport (yes really) does not handle electronic boarding passes and Wizz charges at the airport.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #10310 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:26:43 pm »
Ah, cheap airline gouging.

It's only a matter of time before you have to pay an extra £20 to not be stabbed in the eyes before boarding.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10311 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »
Email me the details and I can print it for you or scan it and email it back...

WHAT?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10312 on: 07 September, 2018, 04:02:15 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I contacted Royal Mail staff regarding the local postbox that was in dire
need of repair, or replacement. They removed it a couple of days later.  I have contacted them
again about a replacement, but they say they need my address to aid their enquiries.

« Reply #10313 on: 08 September, 2018, 08:25:36 pm »
The blades on my Wahl hair clippers are well blunt, not surprising as they are over 20 years old.  I can't find replacement blades online that look the same, so they may have changed the design.  The blades I can find are about the same cost as a new set of clippers,  a lot less than I paid for the originals so I'll assume they have  been "cost engineered" & won't last.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10314 on: 08 September, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
Is it possible to get them reground?
VELOMANCER

« Reply #10315 on: 08 September, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »
Wahl do a replacement service for professional blades, but not these.  There are instructions online to resharpen them using waterstones, which I have, so I may give that a try. 

ian

« Reply #10316 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:30:33 am »
Schoolkids are back so I'm back to picking up a couple of handfuls of discarded bottles and other crap from my daily walk to the pool, which is always dispiriting, it's all junk and I doubt any of them are going to die of dehydration on their way to and from school. The holidays are nice, just the occasional discarded beer can. I guess if anyone regularly sees me they probably think I'm a alcoholic, hey look there he goes again, it's 10am and he's on the Special Brew. This would be a lie of course, I'd be on a decent breakfast stout like KCBC or Founders.

Also the cars when I go to the afternoon swim session. I honestly don't understand why a majority of the parents sit outside the school with their engine running. When I get to the pool there must be a good several minutes before their kids appear (why they can't walk home is another question, they're not little kids).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10317 on: 12 September, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »
The binmen have recycled our recycling pod again.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10318 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
Arse. Cracked a tooth - upper left 4 - lots of pain and facial swelling.

Can feel this one getting expensive...
VELOMANCER

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10319 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:42:09 pm »
Arse. Cracked a tooth - upper left 4 - lots of pain and facial swelling.
BTDT.  You have my sympathy.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10320 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:43:37 am »
Half the face like a football, visited the dentist this morning. Consultation & x-rays £75.

Need three roots extracting, total bill will be 348 quid. Need to mend some more bikes...
VELOMANCER

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #10321 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:44:35 am »
As I walked out of the house last night I noticed it was getting decidedly chilly. Upon my return I thought to dig out my winter hat and gloves in anticipation of the cold weather to come. Guess what? They were in the absolutely *last* place I looked. Why does stuff always have to hide in the very last place you look?

I spent ages hunting for them.

Bah
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #10322 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
The blades on my Wahl hair clippers are well blunt, not surprising as they are over 20 years old.  I can't find replacement blades online that look the same, so they may have changed the design.  The blades I can find are about the same cost as a new set of clippers,  a lot less than I paid for the originals so I'll assume they have  been "cost engineered" & won't last.

I bought my Wahl pro clippers in 1995.
They died earlier this year, and were replaced with Wahl pro clippers.
The first thing I did was opened them up (Yeah, warranties. Whatever) because I wanted to change the stiff PVC covered cord for a flexible rubber one.
Looking at how they're put together, I'll be very surprised if I get anything like 23 years worth of use out of them.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10323 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:35:13 pm »
I thought to dig out my winter hat and gloves

I just looked out my long-fingered gloves as it's getting a bit nippier in the mornings.
They have reached that annoying stage where the inner liner pulls out and inverts every time you remove them, and is a total PITA to wriggle them back in again.
I spent about 15 mins dealing with the prolapsed liners.

« Reply #10324 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:13:05 pm »
I think my clippers are about the same vintage as yours Jurek.   10 minutes on a medium/fine waterstone & a dab of oil & they seem to be cutting a bit better,  so thats one less piece of landfill.    I keep looking at cordless sets so I don't need to take the extension lead into the bathroom, but am so far resisting.