Author Topic: Virtual vs paper brevett cards.  (Read 1627 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Virtual vs paper brevett cards.
« on: 09 July, 2018, 10:19:51 pm »

I bought a paper brevett card for doing a DIY Audax. I'm hoping to do it as an advisory route ride. How do I use the paper brevett card with the DIY audax page? As it's advisory route, with GPX validation, do I still need to post the card to Paul?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Martin

Re: Virtual vs paper brevett cards.
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2018, 11:10:37 pm »
yes; just list the controls on the card then post it with the receipts (not forgetting to make a copy!)

The AUK DIY online entry portal was set up with GPS in mind but it's perfectly valid for paper entries

Martin (who did the job before Paul)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:17:40 am »
It's brevet, pronounced BREVay.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:30:27 am »
It's brevet, pronounced BREVay.

And in Dutch the plural is Brevetten, and I have no idea how to pronounce it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:07:54 am »
Sorry pardon. Over-sensitive to French being mangled by FOREIGNS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:41:10 pm »

I bought a paper brevett card for doing a DIY Audax. I'm hoping to do it as an advisory route ride. How do I use the paper brevett card with the DIY audax page? As it's advisory route, with GPX validation, do I still need to post the card to Paul?

J

If it's validation by GPX I thought you needed a virtual brevet, I'm not sure I can work out the role of the card brevet in this scenario?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:51:59 pm »
Yep.
How to.... DIY by GPS - Advisory Route
Pay for the event by purchasing a virtual Brevet Card here.
DIY organisers nominally have regional responsibilities, but you can choose to purchase cards from any Organiser – it doesn’t matter where you live or where you intend to ride.
Note that there is a discount for purchasing three or more at a time, but once purchased they are not interchangeable between organisers.
http://www.aukweb.net/diy/adv/

You have, unfortunately, bought the wrong sort of brevet. Maybe you can save it and organise yourself a DIY using traditional paper proof of purchase?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »
Here's one DIY Organiser's view:

(not necessarily AUK policy, but how it works at the moment with me.... so check with your DIY Org)

Once a rider has bought a brevet, virtual or paper, they can provide proof-of-passage through their (Advisory Route) controls by either
(a) a set of receipts (or photos of them).... not necessarily accompanied by the nice Brevet Card;
or
(b) a gps track.

So, having a printed brevet card need not commit you to sending it to the Org!

It doesn't affect the finances, because:
If the rider has bought virtual brevets, the org pays a fee to AUK when the ride is validated;
If the rider has paid for a printed card, the org has already paid the fee to AUK when buying the stock of printed cards.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2018, 03:03:10 pm »
Brevet Cards for DIYs are very much a niche interest nowdays.

What does tend to happen is that new auks will buy some cards and virtual brevets, use the virtual brevets then ask if they can swap the cards for virtual brevets, to which the answer is "yes" (OOMV).

This is achieved "virtually", by the rider tearing up the cards and my updating my records accordingly.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:39:42 am »
My sole experience of 'paper' brevet cards for DIYs is with that peculiar subset known as ECEs, wherein I have a blank PDF which I have (in the past) 'filled in' by email, then submitted photos of my receipts.

I have *no* idea how Martin has processed them, but I've paid my money and I've got my points.