Author Topic: ALPI 4000  (Read 28602 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: ALPI 4000
« Reply #75 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:01:41 pm »
I was playing with the idea of cycling out... Google's not much good for route planning though.... apparently a lot of the direct roads to Bormio are closed at the moment for some reason.

So much for Swiss efficiency!

That's my plan too. Just have to decide on a route, I haven't done much Germany but that could be saved for the return trip.
All paid up and just seen the route pages on the website, looks great. I presume there will be GPX files available
Regretfully, I've let the complete preregistration deadline pass without me. Too much else going on to be able to commit to the event. I still hope to see some mountains sometime this year. Just not on the ALPi4000. <<sadface>>

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #76 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:09:38 pm »
In case anyone hasn't noticed it there's now a load more information on the website regarding the route: http://www.alpi4000.it/en/tappe
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #77 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:14:56 pm »
Regretfully, I've let the complete preregistration deadline pass without me. Too much else going on to be able to commit to the event. I still hope to see some mountains sometime this year. Just not on the ALPi4000. <<sadface>>

Same here.
But I have an excuse - I can blame you for getting me interested in the first place? It's not my fault! Remember the conversation?  ;D

Looks a terrific ride. I'm nowhere near what is necessary to be a serious contender.
Best wishes to all who take part.
Garry Broad

whosatthewheel

« Reply #78 on: 03 March, 2018, 11:56:20 am »
Stage 8 takes in the climb to Andrate (steep at 8-10%, then steady 6-7% then steep again after the village) and then the classic SS Tracciolino road, with the first 3 km being on gravel, but rideable with any tyre. The road is then paved, it is stunning and climbs up gently to the Oropa sanctuary (Unesco World Heritage site) before a fast descent down to Biella...

Stunning road that and one of my locals back in Italy!

LMT

« Reply #79 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:47:32 pm »
Sometimes when you lose you actually win. I won't get to ride Leith Hill in the Ride 100 this year due to me not getting a place, instead it'll be the Stelvio pass. :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #80 on: 10 April, 2018, 04:44:40 pm »
Information about the transfers from MXP and BGY to Bormino have appeared on the website, see here: http://www.alpi4000.it/en/transfer

FRIDAY 20TH JULY 2018

11.00 AM
1 BUS WITH BIKE CARRIAGE         FROM MILAN MALPENSA TO BORMIO
1 BUS WITH BIKE CARRIAGE         FROM BERGAMO ORIO AL SERIO TO BORMIO

07.00 PM

SATURDAY 21TH JULY 2018

1.00 PM

I don't land in MXP until 9:20pm (and that's assuming Ryanair aren't delayed....) so I'll be hoping to get a space on the Saturday service from MXP. At least I'll have plenty of time on the Saturday morning to build up the bike.

Next job is to find a hotel room at MXP for the Friday night.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #81 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:06:32 pm »
That's excellent news about the transfers. :thumbsup:

Aiming for the Friday 11am bus plus bike transfer from Bergamo Orio Al Serio on the 20th and return on Sunday noon on the 29th. I switched my (flexi) Ryanair flight to Sunday evening.
The amount of detail and information in the route section is amazing. Total 1518km and 21,162 m climb. I might need to up my game considerably to even get back to Bormio in time for the transfer  ;)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #82 on: 11 April, 2018, 09:51:32 pm »
It's an interesting proposition and good to see the organisers have are offering a direct transfer  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At 11:00, the departure time is a little early - in fact too lat for my flight from LGW that arrive MXP 12:30. I could change to an earlier flight, but even that only arrives MXP 09:55 - not much time to wait and collect bike box and checked bag, and make the bus for an 11:00 departure!

I suspect this option will appeal to those traveling alone. I worked out the cost of a mid-sized hire car Friday 20/07 to Friday 27/07 at about £200 (or £235 returning Sat 28/07). Split between two travelling together, it's not much of an uplift in price (bar a tank of petrol). If you book through a brokerage, you get a much better price and full insurance included, so hassle free and no worries!

I will consult my travelling companion Postie, and make a decision soon!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #83 on: 17 April, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »
I've booked my bus transfer and it was very easy using the ALPI4000 website and PayPal. There wasn't any options to select which transfer I needed, but I had an email asking for that information and it's now all confirmed.

I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

Right, just need to remember how to ride a bike as running had been getting in the way since November.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #84 on: 22 May, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »
I've just been looking at some of the options for accommodation for the day before the ride :o Hopefully if I keep looking I can find something a bit cheaper than what a quick search indicates.

« Reply #85 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:21:27 pm »
Is anyone looking for transfer alternatives to and from Malpensa to the one provided by the organization?

Transfer options offered by the organizers don't work with the flights Julian and myself have booked so we ended up making a booking with a taxi driver based in Bormio. He can take three cyclists and three bicycles in his vehicle so if anyone wants to share the ride a place is available.

The pickup would be in Malpensa on Friday 20th of July at 14:20
The return would be in Bormio on Saturday 28th of July at 6:30

The total price would be 200€ each of us if we are three passengers.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #86 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:36:01 pm »
I've found an Airbnb place in town for the Saturday night. It's a twin room. I'm happy to have it to myself but equally if anyone needs somewhere to stay then drop me a PM.

« Reply #87 on: 02 June, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »
I am going to drop out - I started the year at zero fitness and while my efforts have made me a good deal fitter it's not enough to enjoy the event. If someone wants my place PM me as soon as possible, I pay a lower cancellation and perhaps (and I stress perhaps) you pay a lower entry fee.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

αdαmsκι

« Reply #88 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:56:09 pm »
Half of the Col d'Iseran will open tomorrow :thumbsup: Hopefully the other half will open before we arrive!

https://twitter.com/valdisere/status/1006925922644185088?s=19

whosatthewheel

« Reply #89 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »
Half of the Col d'Iseran will open tomorrow :thumbsup: Hopefully the other half will open before we arrive!

By July they are all open... shouldn't be a worry at all

Pete Mas

« Reply #90 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:54:40 pm »
Time to get your medical certificates!Or self-cert as the case may be (in some cases)...Good Luck.
Look at the Alpi site or see the email - I received one yesterday.

R.L.Stevenson

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »

By July they are all open... shouldn't be a worry at all

Usually has 8 foot high snow banks on Bonneval-sur-arc side in early July. But road will be open for sure.

Pete Mas

« Reply #92 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:04:15 pm »
Time to get your medical certificates!Or self-cert as the case may be (in some cases)...Good Luck.
Look at the Alpi site or see the email - I received one yesterday.

My medical certificate confirmation / approval has arrived now! O:-) :smug:
Don't forget you need to get your medical certificate scanned to Data Health and approved by the end of June if you are taking part in the ride! :thumbsup:

R.L.Stevenson

αdαmsκι

« Reply #93 on: 30 June, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »
I've extracted the gpx files from Openrunner (which is where the ALPI 4000 files are hosted), downsampled them using Phil W's application and uploaded them to a google site from where you can download them: click.

Files are viewable on bikehike.

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #94 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »
Medical approval recieved, time to start thinking about this properly and plan a route out there  :facepalm: just Mille Pennines to survive first.

Good work on the routes there Adamski

whosatthewheel

« Reply #95 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:04:04 pm »
I've extracted the gpx files from Openrunner (which is where the ALPI 4000 files are hosted), downsampled them using Phil W's application and uploaded them to a google site from where you can download them: click.

Files are viewable on bikehike.

Stage 1
Stage 2

Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16

Stage 8 is where I come from... I love how bikehike's elevation profile makes it look so easy... :-)

The "descent from Pre St. Didier to Settimo Vittone can be quite taxing in daylight hours, as the thermal channels through the narrow valley and in places you have a wall of wind... much easier in the dark or very early morning.

The climb from Settimo is steep at the bottom... then eases... after Andrate there is a gravel section of about 3 km... in fairly good state, I've always done it with 23 mm tyres. Then you get to Oropa, which is a truly magnificent sanctuary in the mountains

« Reply #96 on: 03 July, 2018, 09:24:33 pm »
Awesome thanks!

Pete Mas

« Reply #97 on: 09 July, 2018, 09:10:20 pm »
I'm starting to think about what clothing to take with me on this ride, especially considering the possibility of changeable weather conditions in the mountains.Last year on the 999 Miles ride in Southern Italy the weather was set fair, so I left my warmer waterproof/and reflective in the drop-bag, and suffered when the weather turned at the end.

I've luckily got an airlight down vest (bodywarmer) from my company Gant, which is light and packs down quite small. I think I'll take that for any emergency cool conditions and a fairly light but windproof waterproof (DHB) that I would use for all-day wet conditions, plus the PBP 2015 Reflective jacket, plus armwarmers and 'rainlegs' to keep the legs warm, and lightweight long-fingered gloves.

What is everyone else taking and perhaps whosatthewheel has some advice?

R.L.Stevenson

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #98 on: 10 July, 2018, 09:30:39 am »
I'm starting to think about what clothing to take with me on this ride, especially considering the possibility of changeable weather conditions in the mountains.Last year on the 999 Miles ride in Southern Italy the weather was set fair, so I left my warmer waterproof/and reflective in the drop-bag, and suffered when the weather turned at the end.

I've luckily got an airlight down vest (bodywarmer) from my company Gant, which is light and packs down quite small. I think I'll take that for any emergency cool conditions and a fairly light but windproof waterproof (DHB) that I would use for all-day wet conditions, plus the PBP 2015 Reflective jacket, plus armwarmers and 'rainlegs' to keep the legs warm, and lightweight long-fingered gloves.

What is everyone else taking and perhaps whosatthewheel has some advice?

(I live in Italy, close to the center of the loop of Alpi 4000)

Don't forget the lapse rate: the route highest point is at about 2,770 m, the lowest almost at sea level, you can expect 18°C of difference just because of the height. You might have to face snow at Passo dello Stelvio (at the end of July it's improbable but not impossible) while the lowest part of the route, the Po Valley, can easily reach 36°C at daytime, and is usually very moisty to make things worse.
You'll meet really high mountain passes (2,000 m or so) in stages 1, 2, 6, 7 and 16.
The (optional) bag drop in Biella is at the end of stage 4 and 8, so it splits the route in three parts, but none of them is without high mountains, so you can't pick up/leave all your warm clothes at the bag drop, because you need them in all of the three parts.
My suggestion is to try and organize your ride so that you pass through the Po Valley (mainly stages 9 to 12) during the night/early morning, and on the contrary don't plan to ride in the late night in the mountains: apart from the cold, you would miss the scenery.

Phil W

« Reply #99 on: 10 July, 2018, 04:02:16 pm »
It was 7C here in the Dolomites at 2,300m at 11pm last night. Will let you know what we get on Thursday night when sleeping back up higher again.  Afternoon storms came in today at 3:30pm. There are big sections of snow higher up in a few places.