Author Topic: Phototalk random thread  (Read 39642 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Phototalk random thread
« Reply #75 on: 31 May, 2018, 06:46:58 am »
It would be the Olympus mk2, mk3 is still too steep for me

Thanks
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #76 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:17:39 am »
Worth mentioning that even with the cashback, HDew are substantially less https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mk-ii-body-black-2996-p.asp

that is even better than John Lewis who are usualy very competetive.  HDew are also giving a 3 year warranty.  I'm assuming you can then go onto Olympus' site and still claim the cashback offer.

« Reply #77 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:44:50 am »
No, the Oly site says "Participating Dealers" so I assume you would not get the cashback.

As far as low light performance is concerned, it is quite possible that the CaNikons have better performance, the question is, is the Oly adequate? One major benefit is the in body stabilisation, and of course the compact lenses help too, so you can effectively shoot at a lower ISO.

My experience with an OM-10 MkII is that I very very rarely come up against any low light deficiencies, I had to look through archives to come up with a grainy shot. Here's one, streetlit in India, shot at ISO1600 using the 17mm cheapie pancake lens, which just happens to be forum suitable (click for bigness), that's as bad as I've got.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #78 on: 31 May, 2018, 10:57:35 am »
Found in the loft...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43782267

They may have stumbled upon a goldmine.

1 - They look like really excellent photos

2 - Similar Vivian Maier prints now sell for thousands each.

The Bond St. Window looks like a game of Space Invaders.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #79 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:07:27 pm »
Here's a 6000 ISO snap with no adjustments. 17mm f1.8 lens f8 1/60th

The 20mp sensor (this one) is better than the 16mp one, I understand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hinrykq96kr3ber/P4120036%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #80 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:20:48 pm »
Worth mentioning that even with the cashback, HDew are substantially less https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mk-ii-body-black-2996-p.asp

that is even better than John Lewis who are usualy very competetive.  HDew are also giving a 3 year warranty.  I'm assuming you can then go onto Olympus' site and still claim the cashback offer.

No, the Oly site says "Participating Dealers" so I assume you would not get the cashback.

And the HDew FAQs say explicitly that they aren't eligible for UK cashbacks (though they don't actually name Olympus ...). An EM-5 with 12-40mm lens is £1049 in Dixons Travel (which I imagine *does* accrue the cashback) and £999 from HDew (or £998 if you add body and lens to your cart separately).

HDew has got an ex-demo EM-10 Mk2 for £269, body-only.

« Reply #81 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:33:16 pm »
WOT new camera?

I have a ten year service award, a bit of offshore bonus already earned and a bit more coming up.  Enough after tax to buy a new camera to record this year's tour to Islay and the west coast back down across the SOlway firth.

I'm torn between about three cameras at the moment of similar price range.
- olympus OMD EM 10 - in solver of course to match my old 35mm OM10
- Panasonic GX80 - liked for compactness
- panasonic G7 - perhaps a bit on the chunky side, but good reviews

As an outlier also the Canon EOS M50 at the next price bracket, recommended for the larger sensor size by an airport duty free salesman

Pros - micro 4/3 have more lenses available, and more compact, but perhaps poorer low light/landscape performance vs the canons?
I'm looking for an upgrade from my current Lumix P&S high zoom model I use for work, keen to take better photos, partic landscape/cityscape/parks and gardens

Thoughts?
You're not going to go wrong, deciding factors for me would be ergonomics and menus and I prefer the Panasonic, currently using the excellent GX80 and tiny GM1.
IMO none of the cameras on your list are really compact, the GX80 is quite brick like, for this reason the GM1 is far more likely to come cycling with me.  I'm tied into M 4/3 with some lovely lenses, if I wasn't the newer 1" sensor cameras might be under consideration.
partic landscape/cityscape/parks and gardens
Good cameras, like good bikes, are a hobby in themselves. Your interests are not IMO going to be challenging for any enthusiast camera, for any given budget I'd be tempted to put most of it in the glass.

ElyDave

« Reply #82 on: 31 May, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
thanks all,

I do like Panasonic as well, my P&S is one of theirs, the TZ55, which is perfect for me for work and does take some decent photographs in itself as well. 

FWIW, pricing seems competitive on the Olympus with Park Cameras also doing some good deals https://www.parkcameras.com/bc/35-1602/olympus/mirrorless-cameras

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 04 June, 2018, 03:38:17 pm »
Magnum have a print sale on:

https://shop.magnumphotos.com/?rfsn=613924.b8e164&subid=email#lemonde

Too pricey for me but it's free to look.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #84 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:00:48 pm »
went with the Olympus in the end, after a chat with DEW, I'm as attached to Olympus as I am to Garmin.  Still have my first ever Oly dig camera - 4 x AA and chewed them up like antacids.

I'll explain to SWMBO when it arrives

ElyDave

« Reply #85 on: 10 June, 2018, 09:38:11 pm »
I explained, she was not impressed. I was not surprised. 

What I am suprised at however is the speed at which this thing is capable of filling an SD card.  I'm very impressed already, particularly with the speed of writing to the card. 

« Reply #86 on: 13 July, 2018, 07:55:10 am »
You just gotta love that sharpen brush in Photoshop, eh? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/13/trump-hails-boris-johnson-as-future-pm-and-attacks-sadiq-khan#img-1

(the possibility that it might be DoF is countered by the sharpness of the lines on May's dress)

That photo has now been relegated to a teeny thumbnail on the side and you can't see the way that the lines in the orange one's face had been emphasised.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #87 on: 06 October, 2018, 11:06:16 am »
Fujifilm s8200 stopped working, the on off switch didn't function.

Took camera apart, cleaned the on off switch, put it back together...and now works.  That is the first digital camera that reassembly has been not find out how the camera worked.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #88 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »
Not working now  ::-) ::-)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #89 on: 30 October, 2018, 11:16:47 am »
Woofage junior is doing work experience at Vitec. He gets to play with robotic camera supports for the next couple of weeks 8).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #90 on: 05 November, 2018, 04:19:11 pm »
Rather spiffing all-action shots of chess games. worth a click

https://www.worldphoto.org/blogs/04-11-18/capturing-intimate-portraits-chess-board

« Reply #91 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:49:57 pm »
Rather spiffing all-action shots of chess games. worth a click

https://www.worldphoto.org/blogs/04-11-18/capturing-intimate-portraits-chess-board

I liked those. I wouldn't mess with lady with red hijab.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #92 on: 12 January, 2019, 06:15:33 pm »
Could anyone use what appears to be a reasonable amount left in a box of 50 10x8 of Ilford Multigrade RC? probably about .....8? 10? years old, been kept in reasonable conditions so may well be ok

« Reply #93 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:58:50 am »
Anyone here play with large format cameras (4x5). For reasons I have yet to figure out, I've decided to try it. (Ok, so quality can be amazing, but it's still very impractical!!!)
Since I also like making stuff (and have a 3D printer), I have also decided to build my own camera. View cameras are pretty simple, so all I need to buy is the lens, ground glass and a couple of film holders.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #95 on: 07 February, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »
Yeah, there's a one on thingiverse too. Has anyone here played with large format?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #96 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:16:47 pm »
A friend has found a cable with a 3.5mm jack plug one end and coaxial AV plugs at the other.

I had similar in kit with Canon IXUS 70.

Multiple Canons in this abode have 3.5mm sockets, which have had no/little use.

Friend has only had Olympus and Sony digital Cameras.

I reckon one of these cameras had a 3.5mm socket, as well as USB.

Can someone who has OLD Sony/Olympus digital cameras tell me if there's a socket hidden beyond friend's consciousness?

« Reply #97 on: 08 September, 2019, 05:04:36 pm »
I got my old camera out of the loft - a nikon FM2. I'm not tempeted by going back to film for delayed gratification, but the focus is so much smoother and nicer than what I'm using now.

Also, I've found myself in the position of having to use it, in order to finish the film i started quite a few (maybe 10?) years ago.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #98 on: 25 October, 2019, 09:51:10 am »
How much ??!!!??!?!?

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #99 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:05:04 am »
I know we have a mobile phone photo thread, but (1) I couldn't find it and (2) this is about the tech rather than the image, because I'm just blown away by the quality of the images out my phone (Pixel 4, now). Here's a crop of an image straight out the phone

Pin sharp focus on the face, motion blur, likely software created DoF, but none the worse for that, all from a hasty point and click. Just amazing tech.