Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 113370 times)

An epic adventure, exploring some of the UK's most spectacular scenery, cycle along remote roads. You keep to a schedule that best suits your own abilities and riding style.

1302km cycling event starting from Brodick, Isle of Arran. Controls at Campbelltown, Lochgilphead, Tobermory, Broadford, Gairloch, Ulapool, lochinvar, Durness, Trantlebeg, Lairg, Dingwall, Spean Bridge, Inveraray and Ardrossan.

Good public transport links - be it train, boat, car or plane.

WWW links, smartphone apps to enable you to plan for your style of cycling. Either ride as (say) a nominal 300km per day, and sleep at regular intervals, riding the route entirely in daylight. Or ride non-stop, and resting where or when you feel like it. Five ferry crossings need to be planned, some could be by-passed - although the detours may involve a considerable increase in riding distance. This is an X-rated event - so, the ride is Audax at it's most litteral and exciting.

Enries will be limited, route plan/sheet GPS now available at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-393/#more

Some freinds very kindly did a reccy of certain bits last year, and did a short video.
(click to show/hide)

But this ride's planned with a bit more sunshine, warmth and tea

[Edit-Hummers]

Note: Trantlebeg has been sole-hired for the entire duration that the control is open, this accounts for the lions-share of the entry fees..

[/Edit-Hummers]
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Monday July 21st 2014 - ...........
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »
I had already been eyeing the perm up. 

Let's just say I am extremely interested. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:30:50 pm »
Aha! Perfect timing. I had heard rumours of a batch of >1000 km rides in the UK next year, and I was thinking of starting a thread to ask if there were any more details...

It looks fabulous, I know most of those roads and they're well worth the journey. It's eminently cyclable from here, too.

Now, bivvy bag or B&Bs...

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Yummy yum yum.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:34:15 pm »
Mr. Blacksheep was telling me about this on the BCM this year. It sounds exciting.

*checks diary*

Well that was an easy decision. Last day of term is Tuesday 22nd July. Ar$e.

What about that 600 you mentioned?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hillbilly

Re: Monday July 21st 2014 - What will you be missing ..........
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »
@adamski: The new 600 perm (spoilers) also looks interesting. Enough attitude points, I mean altitude points, to hint that it will be interesting to play with....

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:39:13 pm »
Now, bivvy bag or B&Bs...

There's also SYHAs, Independant hostels, bunk barnes .......  In fact over 150 potential places to rest/sleep.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »
Ah, hadn't noticed the new perm. Dragons - sounds scary. 

Sorry, I'll leave and let you all talk about midges Scotland.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »

Best you keep the 21/22 june 2014 free. There's already the perm on the system at http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR13/ . This perm ride's in the 10/10 category. However the cal event will be 12/10

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »

Best you keep the 21/22 june 2014 free. There's already the perm on the system at http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR13/ . This perm ride's in the 10/10 category. However the cal event will be 12/10

ESCA 24hr TT Clashes :(

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:13:45 pm »
I will have to pack travel sickness pills though - terrible sailor.
Right! What's next?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »
*already thinking strategy...*
curious as to how it would work starting at 11:15   ...is that in the am, or the pm?
Mull ferry crossing is at ~200km. You would have to be very very fast to make the last one on the first day, and I would have thought a bit early to sleep...
I would have thought most people would get to oban at about 10pm if it starts 11:15am.

if you mean 11:15pm ignore me.

Hillbilly

« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:37:52 pm »
ESCA 24hr TT Clashes

Buggeration.  I had been thinking of the (local for me) ESCA 24hr TT (and no doubt there will some fancy pants foreign adventure for me to be tempted by.  Choices choices)

« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »
Definitely interested in this one, is there going to be a limit and when can you enter?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:42:26 pm »
mmm..............

Think I need to do some longer rides between 300km and 600km before I should even consider entering. This years been a washout  :-\

« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
Definitely interested in this one, is there going to be a limit and when can you enter?

Looking at the event page, it appears that you can enter any time from now  up until 23rd of June 2014.

That is of course providing 60 others haven't already entered.

« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »
So the 60 applies to number of entrants limit, thanks, still new to Audax

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #17 on: 06 August, 2013, 05:12:23 pm »
I'm in -

Just did my trip to Scotland before LEL and loved it so much I have to go back next year. The Reading To Uig ride did not get completed because of my poor wheel building and I ended up riding from Reading to Greenock then Edinburgh to Inverness (after wheel fix).

Did the A93 Perth to Breamar and then A939 through Tomintoul on what must have been the hottest day of the year. Great ride but no Audax points.

I have relations near the start as well so hopefully get to see them too.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #18 on: 06 August, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
There seems to be a slight error  - you have forgotten to put a control in Applecross  :demon: :P
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

AndyH

« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »
An epic adventure
the ride is Audax at it's most litteral and exciting

Hmm. Inspiration.  :)  Is this what was in the pipeline when you relinquished custody of the BCM, Mr Sheep?

« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »
Hmm. Inspiration.  :)  Is this what was in the pipeline when you relinquished custody of the BCM, Mr Sheep?

Not exactly, this one came along one evening in November, whilst waiting in the pub for a couple of cyclists to finish a 200.  ;)

However, whist passing the time during the closing overs of this year's Brevet Cymru, I did
(click to show/hide)

Entry up-take has been quite brisk, not many spaces left  :o

« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »

Not surprised for just £10 entry. There's no real disincentive not to enter it just on the off chance.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »
Will you be holding a waiting list for when the first 20, who realise they've bitten off more than they can chew, drop out in March?

Yep - really easy to commit now, especially in a post-LEL glow.

I have no doubt I will be in the Isle of Arran on 21st July, as this is so up my street. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:54:33 pm »
There seems to be a slight error  - you have forgotten to put a control in Applecross  :demon: :P

Achmelvich and Achiltibuie also notable by their absence.

But it's a free route, so you'd be welcome to make up your own route between controls. Not that I'm likely to be heading over to Applecross, or down the Drumbeg road...

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:54:51 pm »
No way I could make the last Oban => Craignure ferry starting at 11:15am and the Lochranza => Kintyre ferry will not be running at midnight either. How is the use of these ferries intended to work given the constrained timetable? As far as I can see, I would be too late for the last ferry from Oban, and would be out of time by the time the next one sailed at 0745 I’d be well out of time.