Author Topic: The Harlequin Hack 110km, near Oxford, Sun 13th April 2014  (Read 3185 times)

Re: The Harlequin Hack 110km, near Oxford, Sun 13th April 2014
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:18:11 am »
Does anyone have a tcx or gpx of the current route, as I might be able to do it, or at least part of it, as a day ride over Easter.  I think I know the route, but it would be good to check!  Cheers.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:23:17 am »
Does anyone have a tcx or gpx of the current route, as I might be able to do it, or at least part of it, as a day ride over Easter.  I think I know the route, but it would be good to check!  Cheers.

I've got the one that the organiser sent - PM me your e-mail address and I'll get it over to you

« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:21:12 am »
Apologies to other YACFers for not making myself known to you.

Had a most enjoyable ride in the company of Julia and a young chap who we were chaperoning on his first audax. Fabulous weather, a great route through some beautiful countryside, lots of cake & tea and smiling friendly faces.  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »
Yes, a great day out!

As I rode the last 10 miles of the course on tend way to the start I elected to DNF and turned for home where I rejoined my original track, not sure that I had the legs for another 20 miles!

Thanks for the company on the way round Andy.

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »
My only comment about the route was the crossing of the A420 between Southmoor and longworth.  I followed the official gpx route along 'Waggon Place' path and over the A420 footbridge, but the lead up to the footbridge is effectively off-road and pretty rough.   I actually stopped to re check I had the correct route.   Next time I'd probably just do the short dog's leg across the A420 into Pine Woods Road.   :)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
Andy,
It's not a proper Audax without some off-roading/cycle-path or a road closure.

If you want A-roads, do a TT; if you want tarmac all the way round, do a S***tive :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »
Andy,
It's not a proper Audax without some off-roading/cycle-path or a road closure.

If you want A-roads, do a TT; if you want tarmac all the way round, do a S***tive :P

;)  Matt, no, I don't particularly want A-roads, and I chose the HH Audax over the White Horse Challenge.   The HH had it's share of A-roads e.g. some of the A415, A4095, but also a road closure (that wasn't) t'boot.    The Southmoor dog's leg is just another crossing of the A420, as we'd done earlier south out of Buckland.  Just sayin the path took me by surprise that's all, but my 32mm tyres coped fine, no doubt those on 23mm thoughts turned briefly to Paris-Roubaix on at the time; the bridge was kind of fun.   Given the route between controls isn't 'fixed', I'd still probably do the 'variation'...  :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:11:38 am »
Follow route but take 1st L (Beggar's Lane) to 180 onto bridge, missing the sandy bit. Or indeed just go R/imm. L, over A420(*) and R @ T, to rejoin

(*) albeit you can see why the route avoids this.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #33 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:23:33 am »
Follow route but take 1st L (Beggar's Lane) to 180 onto bridge, missing the sandy bit. Or indeed just go R/imm. L, over A420(*) and R @ T, to rejoin

Sadly a 12 year old boy was killed crossing the A420 here on Saturday afternoon, so you can see why the organisers use the footbridge.  As Iddu writes, you can avoid the sandy bit by going up Beggar's Lane.  Harris Lane on the other side isn't too bad a surface.

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:55:39 am »

Ok, thanks, that works well.

« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:59:37 am »

Sadly a 12 year old boy was killed crossing the A420 here on Saturday afternoon, so you can see why the organisers use the footbridge.  As Iddu writes, you can avoid the sandy bit by going up Beggar's Lane.  Harris Lane on the other side isn't too bad a surface.
That is very sad.   :(  http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hsabingdonnews/11146022.12_year_old_cyclist_dies_in_crash_with_car_on_the_A420/

Not too many details yet. 

I've done this A420 crossing junction often, but the Beggars Lane option seems fine.