Author Topic: Don Black  (Read 7523 times)

mikewigley

Don Black
« on: 29 March, 2014, 09:59:42 am »
With great sadness, I have to tell you that Don died last night in ITU.  His wife was there with both their children and he was unconscious, not in pain, and did not know what was coming. Sepsis from the perforated ulcer overwhelmed him and he could not respond to the vigorous treatment he was given.

Don was well known in Audax and he is the current holder of the Helpers Merit Award in recognition of many years of riding, Organising (Calendar events and Perms), PBPs, LELs, SRs, UR, RRTY - he's done the lot without resorting to lycra.  Goodness knows how many times he rode LEL 2013 route checking out the route.

He will be missed on tomorrow's Chirk ride.  Details of the funeral arrangements will be posted when known so that people who wish to be there can come along.

Re: Don Black
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:07:00 am »
Very sad news indeed.  He will be sadly missed by many.

My sincere condolences to his family at this difficult time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:09:51 am »
That is just awful news.

His family and friends are in my thoughts at this terrible time.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:17:40 am »
Very sad. A great character, he will be very sadly missed. It was always great coming across him on the road, making the biggest rides look like he'd just jumped on the bike to nip to the shops.

Yad Moss in the rain, LEL 2009

Sincere condolences to his family.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
So sad.
The suddenness is truly shocking.

Condolences to his family

RIP DB

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:47:20 am »
That is such sad news.  I cannot believe it.  He was a wonderful person with a very idiosyncratic approach to long distance cycling, described once as the man who treated LEL as an extended pub crawl. We will miss him terribly. 

Sincere condolences to his wife and family.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2014, 11:12:06 am »
I'm in total shock to read this sad news, although I didn't know him very well. He was my roommate on the Sporting Tours trip at PBP 2011, and its only since then that I realise what an audax VIP I was sharing with. After registering for the ride he was straight off to the LEL stall helping to promote LEL 2013.

He was a total legend in audax cycling circles and dedicated to promoting the sport via riding and organising.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2014, 11:58:05 am »
What dreadful news. He will be missed by the entire audax community, from LEL down to the local 200.
Our condolences to Mary and their family.
Tim and Denise.

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2014, 12:51:02 pm »
Awful news and he will be sadly missed. Thoughts with his family

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »
Very sad news,sincere condolences to his family. Rest in Peace.

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2014, 02:25:07 pm »
Really saddened by the news. I have fond memories of Don at various stages on LEL 2009, not least meeting him in various ale houses along the way. True legend,  RIP.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2014, 02:46:44 pm »
That's a bit of a shock.  RIP Don you were great company on the road and an audax legend.  You won't be forgotten.

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2014, 04:58:11 pm »
Don, a quiet man.  Always happy to give you advice or share his knowledge.. but you had to ask first!
I always knew I was having a good ride if I was on his wheel.  Your epics on fixed persuaded me to give it a go.  Thank you
He was down to ride Chirk tomorrow and was only one of two riders to complete the ride on the day last year.  When snow covered the lanes, Don knew a way through!
One of the few remaining riders in the true spirit of audaxing.  Long distances in a reasonable time.  Not one of the new breed of lycra -clad whippet racers we often see about now.
You gave a lot to the sport and I learnt a lot from you.
"One less wheel to follow"
RIP

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
What a great guy, a true legend. No SPDs, no cycling kit – just a pair of everyday shoes, trousers and shirt. Two months ago I ordered one of Don’s Perms via Peak Audax and then met him on my next 200km calender ride. As we chatted, he told me he was hopefully finishing his ‘round the UK’ route this year (all in 200km sections) having ridden nearly of the route over the last 10 plus years. The total, I think, was over 4,500 miles.  Hopefully that can be finished for him.
God bless you, Don.

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »
Legend is too often over-used.  But Christ he summed it up.   A cycling friend of mine described him as the rider travelling the furthest to the allotment.  Whenever I saw Don, I was always in awe of his ability and hope some day I can be somewhere near it.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2014, 08:59:40 pm »

Don just nipping to the shops - in Builth Wells!
RIP

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:58:19 pm »
With great sadness

Well that most certainly is.
I got to know Don a bit on various rides over the last few years, mainly the Elenith, BC and PBP. Not well, but just a bit.

I first came across him on the Elenith, and he looked like he'd just come off the allotment - certainly in comparisons to the way everybody else was dressed that is. "That bloke's having a laugh right, he's surely going to ride dressed like that? " Well. It turned out that comparisons such as these can be very surface and superficial. One needs a bit more knowledge before you can make judgements like I made on that day. But judgements we all make, all the time, with little knowledge. It's just the way it is sometimes. It became glaringly apparent that he got round those rides just as well as anybody else. Regardless of attire. And had been doing for some time.

One very amusing incident that I'll ever forget, happened on a subsequent Elenith few years later, at the Bullith Wells control. As regular riders will know, there is an outside toilet at the control, with a very respectable frosted glass window [at least there always was]. As you do, I needed to perform essential duties before continuing the ride and found Don waiting to execute these very same bodily functions before me. So we meet, in the queue, and waited together, talk a bit, and he points out that, "there's already somebody in there [pointing to the toilet] I can see them moving around". Ok fine, so we chat for a bit. And time passes. And them we both kind of think, 'well, as much as chat is nice, time is also audax time, and we need to get going'. So then we think, 'well....what's going on in there, are they ok?'
So Don, getting concerned and impatient, moves back and forth, closer then pulling back, then back a forth a bit more, then, moves towards the door, pauses, thinks, pauses again, then turns the handle - and.....it opens....and there's nobody in there! There never was all along. LOL! Sometimes we spent time, not metaphorically, but literally, looking at our own shadow in a window reflection!

We laughed afterwards.
That control will always have that memory for me.
Happy days.

My Audax career has been very short in comparison to others that congregate here, but I'd never be sorry about meeting Don Black along the way.
Thoroughly decent, no nonsense kind of bloke.
My memories of riding long distances are enriched because of knowing that guy.

Condolences to his family
RIP

Garry Broad

« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »
Very sad news indeed.
I'd only met Don a few times, most, recently when we chatted for a short while on the road in January.
I DNF on his "Rou' 't West Riding" (hope I've got that correct) last summer and he sent me a really nice and sympathetic e-mail afterwards.
He struck me as being a top bloke.

« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2014, 10:29:39 am »
A fitting description is in Peter's account of volunteering at LEL.
"Don is a rock of audax". And a lovely man. He certainly will be missed.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #19 on: 30 March, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
Very sad news.

H

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 30 March, 2014, 03:13:09 pm »
Sad news - condolences to Don's family and friends.

A rider whose reputation preceded him. I rode with and chatted to Don on various Audaxes over the years, as you do.......

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #21 on: 30 March, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »
Very nice guy, chatted to him only a couple of times, but as someone upthread said, his style looked like he was going home from the allotment, no airs or graces, which makes him a legend on my book.

« Reply #22 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:07:29 pm »
My first Audax was one of Don's.  The last time I rode with him, as opposed to just being on the same ride, we abandoned together, because of the weather.  I heard this terrible news yesterday while on a DIY with friends.  I abandoned that ride, too, not because of the news, but it seems somehow appropriate.  I need to consider my thoughts before saying much more.

In the meantime, goodbye, Don; you were not only admired, you were loved.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:12:34 pm »
very sad news

I was privileged to enjoy one of his incredibly hilly but well crafted and beautiful routes in the Peaks a couple of weeks ago; no doubt he would make lighter work of it than I

we have lost another legend

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #24 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »
My best and lasting memory was and will, for a good time to be, Don's description of riding through Bishopdale and Kidstones (on The Old 240) on a clear moonlit night - lights off. Just in the moonlight. Gliding along silent Dales. Bliss.
That's what I aspire for - and a pint at a suitable hostelry.

Had 4 little 'uns in the Bollington Tap in Poynton at the end of the Chirk 200 today, in a gesture of respect to Don.
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...