Author Topic: Old Squit  (Read 874 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Old Squit
« on: 11 April, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »
Are we the only YACF-ers doing this as I haven't seen anything about it on this forum?  We're looking forward to riding in Norfolk again, and the bike is looking forward to a night in the travelodge (fingers crossed for a ground floor room). Liverpool Street to Norwich is probably the most tandem-friendly train journey so it's all round wonderfulness  :)

Re: Old Squit
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »
The event filled to it's 100 rider capacity 8 weeks ago, so we've had no reason to come here begging people to join us.  :smug:

Having said that, there are several yacfers riding.

Keith

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2014, 10:35:11 pm »
What a grand day's ride, well worth the trip to Norwich. We've not experienced the Norfolkngood treatment and food before and we'll certainly be back for more. We had a very fast ride by our standards (and talking to Keith afterwards it sounds like it was same for many people).  We started with a good quick run northwards to the coast, followed by a bit of a slog into the headwind along the coast road to Wells. All the bikes made an impressive sight at the Beach cafe there for the first control and apparently caught the eye of the estate owner and there may in future be cyclists discounts available!

The next leg was still into the wind and took us a little further along the coast and then south west through empty country lanes to a turning point and info control at Ringstead before our excellent lunch control in the Castle Acre Village Hall. The next short stretch to an info at Boughton in some ways proved the toughest test, the wind was quite strong and with few hedges there was little to shelter us. However once that corner was turned it was a glorious downwind, flat run back eastwards on B road with no navigational decisions for about 20 miles. A final few twisty roads, lanes and cycle paths took us back to event HQ at Hellesdon for much appreciated post ride refreshments. We finished so much earlier than expected and so we even had time to cycle around the beautiful cathedral and admire the city of Norwich before our rather late (but very cheap) booked train home.

Many thanks to all the team for such a splendid day out, and great to meet some more YACF'ers and other audaxers along the way.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »
I had a very surprising ride - much MUCH faster than I would have predicted, given lack of miles in legs.
Lurked along to Holt and the coast with a group of Norwich Velo riders -we seemed to be travelling gently but I suspect we were at 27/28s. Kept just behind Rob on fixed, which caused him some headaches as we closed on him uphill and then eased back on the downhills. Still tucked in and sheltered along the coast road to Wells. Bounced the control and then found much of the next rolling, head wind bit quite hard work on my own  Castle Acre was welcome with excellent catering. Still some  more kms to do into the wind to Boughton and I was lucky to be picked up and dragged along by the tandem ( I think that is bhoot ). Then it was turn east , hoist the spinnaker, sit back and  enjoy the home run. Orange Andy, Rob , Honor, Mick Bates, John Thomson and Kate Churchill,were some that I recognised. 9hrs 15 total time for 204 kms was way way better than I had expected - so this one is a very happy bunny.

As ever the support from S & K's helpers was superb -- and the route show cased some of Norfolk's best roads ( how many huge houses did we pass?) -- so many thanks organisers.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:42:23 am »
Yes.  The headwind, especially after the Wells stop was quite pesky.  Really enjoyed my bacon baguette at the end.  Very fast finish and interesting 'wiggles' at the end of the ride.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:52:38 am »
Enjoyed the day out.   Never quite got warm* and didn't manage to take my gloves off.   Gloves didn't seem to make it home with me, but I've no idea where I left them.

Got a bit caught up with groups on the way to Wells with them passing me on the hills and then slowing right down and boxing me in at the top.    VC Norwich - this means you - if you're going to ride in such bloody big groups then at least be considerate to other people on the road.   I did most of the rest of the ride on my own which largely suited me.   It was a fast ride home with a decent tailwind and I finised in 8h45m so the training is starting to pay off in what's becoming an audax-lite year.

140 miles in in total including ride to/from the start from my digs for the weekend.

Rob

* Sunday turned out to be the better day but that was reserved for chores.

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:44:23 am »
A good day in Norfolk, thanks Keith and Sue. Bimbled up to Wells with Rob until he got boxed in (see previous post). Then on my own until I was joined by a guy on a single speed Boardman and rode mainly with him to Castle Acre where food was needed. The next stretch was the hardest, especially the last bit to Boughton, by which time I had joined up with the Boardman guy again (sorry, I didn't get your name but thanks for your company). Then a fast ride back to Norwich for a sub 10 hour ride. The sun put in an appearance towards the end which was a bonus.

Trailhound

• Too much Mardle makes you late!
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
Was a great ride. Thanks all.
First outing on single-speed and my quickest 200, how that work??
Thanks mercianmick for your company and Dave from CC Sudbury on fixie advice.