Author Topic: Suggestions for all-carbon fork( 1 1/8") to take 28mm tyre  (Read 5172 times)

Suggestions for all-carbon fork( 1 1/8") to take 28mm tyre
« on: 19 January, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »
Does anyone know of an all-carbon fork in size 1 1/8", which will definitely take 28mm tyres. Most I have found are either too narrow at the 'crown'  or don't have enough height for the tyre.
TIA
M
Mike

Re: Suggestions for all-carbon fork( 1 1/8") to take 28mm tyre
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »
My Deda Blackrain carbon forks can take 28's. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Deda-Black-Rain-Winter-Forks-w-mudguard-eyes/DEDAFORW200

EDIT: They may not take 28mm tyres AND mudguards though. I have 25mm tyres on with SKS guards, and deep drop brakes.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:41:48 pm »
Deda Black Rain ain't all carbon.  The steerer's alloy.

Sorry I don't know of an answer.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
Kinesis Crosslight will take 28mm + mudguards

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »
The Kinesis Racelight 12k with do it and you can use calliper brakes:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/20739/Kinesis_RaceLight_T_12K_Carbon_Forks

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:04:58 am »
The Crosslight and Racelight forks have aluminium alloy crowns.  There's potential for failure with the bonds between the carbon and metal parts.

This wouldn't necessarily put me off, personally, but these forks are not what Malrees2 is asking for.

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:07:40 am »
The ITM4ever forks on my ribble have an Al crown, but have proven themselves to be sturdy and durable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2012, 10:56:54 am »
I don't think any forks are literally ALL carbon, you wouldn't get a fork with carbon dropouts.
No idea whether you can get ones with a carbon crown. Probably not.

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:05:07 am »
100% carbon fork: http://www.enve.com/forks/2.0.aspx

The OP doesn't state if he wants mudguards or not. If not, there's lots of choice in carbon forks that will take a 28mm tyre.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
I don't think any forks are literally ALL carbon, you wouldn't get a fork with carbon dropouts.
No idea whether you can get ones with a carbon crown. Probably not.

You can get forks that are literally all carbon, including the crown and dropouts, including Easton EC90 SL that I have.  I don't refit the wheel often enough for the carbon dropouts to bother me.  The EC90 might just take a 28mm tyre without mudguard - but there'd be no wobble room.  It'd be dangerous if the wheel goes even slightly out of true.

However, I'm happy enough to use carbon forks with alloy crowns and steerers too, when they're recent-ish models from reputable makes.  I recommend the Tifosi ones with mudguard eyelets.  These can take a 28mm tyre, though a mudguard, if used, might need to be cable-tied in place rather than using the usual fixings.

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2012, 07:08:32 am »
Thanks for all the replies. The reason for all carbon is that I've had an alloy/carbon joint fail last year. This is for a summer bike, but I'll try to squeeze in Crud2 mudguards when the weather demands.
Still looking for my ideal solution, but maybe one doesn't exist in which case I'll settle for 25 tyres (reason for 28s is that I broke 2 vertebrae in a crash in 2008 and still have back pain). I've found bigger tyres at only 90lbs a great help on long rides.
Mike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:47:47 am »
The Crosslight and Racelight forks have aluminium alloy crowns.

Mine doesn't
It has an aluminium reinforcer inside it and a aluminium sleeve at the top of the crown for putting the race on but it is 100% carbon

edit: it isn't made any more but some descriptions refer to a "alloy crown" so maybe I am wrong about this.  It has a carbon steerer and blades and I asked for a 100% carbon fork without an alloy crown from the LBS when I got it.  But the LBS have got it wrong before  ;D

I've just looked at it and it says "Racelight 12K Carbon" on it.  It's a 2007 model.  Maybe they are a different design now

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:52:19 am »
Thanks for all the replies. The reason for all carbon is that I've had an alloy/carbon joint fail last year. This is for a summer bike, but I'll try to squeeze in Crud2 mudguards when the weather demands.
Still looking for my ideal solution, but maybe one doesn't exist in which case I'll settle for 25 tyres (reason for 28s is that I broke 2 vertebrae in a crash in 2008 and still have back pain). I've found bigger tyres at only 90lbs a great help on long rides.
I wouldn't discount the ITM forks. Mine has had some terrible abuse, ramming into potholes, hitting large debris on the road (things like lumps of 4"x4" timber), multiple crashes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Suggestions for all-carbon fork( 1 1/8") to take 28mm tyre
« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2012, 10:58:10 am »
Only just seen this thread.
I've got an Enigma carbon fork on my Audax bike - carbon legs + carbon steerer.
I run full guards and 25mm tyre no probs. I'm sure it'll take a 28mm tyre without guards. Normal drop brakes too, although the pads are at the furthest adjustment on the caliper.

Hope this helps

Eddington: 114 Miles