Author Topic: [HAMR] More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)  (Read 75076 times)

Re: More thoughts on the current record attempt(s)
« Reply #475 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »
I've been trying to remember if I've ever ridden 200 miles in a day, outside a formally sanctioned event. I've ridden to a friend's house in Mallaig from Leyland, and I once broke the journey at Moffat, so I might just have done 200 miles on the second day.

I find it easier to go a long way in a disciplined event. I've done 11 Audax SRs, so that's 22 occasions I've gone 200 miles in less than 24 hours, 300km rides don't count obviously. Then there are 4 PBPs, so 12 there, and 3 LELs , so another 12. Then there are a few 24  and 12 hour TTs. So over 50 days with over 200 miles ridden. I've done over 200 miles in 12 hours in 24s and 12s. I'd need to check my records to find out how many.

I doubt I'm very unusual on this forum for having done that number of Double Centuries. There are a few Quintuple Centuries in 24 hours around here. I was just musing why it is that this forum seems to be the centre for informed criticism about the Year.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #476 on: 15 March, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »
Sort of resurrecting this thread to get my head around the current record attempts - Kajsa is well on the way and has got past the tricky 6 - 8 weeks where any fundamental issues with approach / plans / kit  / general physical condition would surface, and is also ahead of the current record pace with (hopefully) easier summer days to look forward to.

Alicia and Amanda will start shortly and so we should get some indication as to whether they are hares aiming to catch Kajsa and ensure that any record she sets is short-lived or whether they're going to struggle to make the distance.

Is that it, or have I missed something?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #477 on: 15 March, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »
Well if I've got it right, Kajsa is riding for a Guinness record, and Alicia & Amanda are riding under HAM'R rules, which are somewhat different. There was a point where Guinness, having recognised Kurts HAM'R record as a Guinness one also, tried to change their rules for the womens attempt, to the detriment of Kajsa's early efforts, but she discussed it with them, and they reverted to the original rules under which she started the attempt.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #478 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:53:31 pm »
any male contenders on the horizon?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #479 on: 22 March, 2016, 06:41:06 pm »
any male contenders on the horizon?

That was soooo last year. 

Perhaps also the efforts that Tarzan and TG put in, plus others falling by the wayside have demonstrated the astonishing difficult of sustaining an effort.  I did a good 10 hour ride on Friday at a pace where I would have been up to the Searvogel line if I had done another 3 hours.  The thought of doing that day in day out doesn't bear consideration.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)