Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452235 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7725 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »
I've done this:

to my Mercian. I'm in two minds about the guards, but I'm delighted with the bell.

Could have kicked myself when I realised that the cranks didn't line up with any of the tubes. Well, they're in line with the top tube, but I wasn't actually going for that.

Still: compensation points for Marmite used outside? And I mean outside: that's not my garden. I was in the business park out back. Walking there with a bike, a tub of marmite and a camera was the kind of thing I only realised en route I might need an explanation for.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

fuzzy

« Reply #7726 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:47:50 pm »
If they need to ask, they will never understand the explanation.

« Reply #7727 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:31:30 pm »
The bell is indeed lovely, and the guards have a very old-skool vibe; what are they?

Paul

« Reply #7728 on: 28 May, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »
The bell is indeed lovely, and the guards have a very old-skool vibe; what are they?

Here is the bell (you didn't ask, but it can't hurt), and here are the 'guards. The latter only available in 53mm, so a smidge big, but okay, I think.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7729 on: 28 May, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »

Here is the bell (you didn't ask, but it can't hurt), and here are the 'guards. The latter only available in 53mm, so a smidge big, but okay, I think.

Freshtripe do a similar bell that can be mounted on a headset spacer.

Paul

« Reply #7730 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »
Freshtripe

That's some dangerous new info.

« Reply #7731 on: 30 May, 2015, 10:35:55 pm »
A quick introduction for my first post.  Here's my CAAD9, I love it to bits, It's used for most of my riding however I have a mucky bike (Cannondale SL1) and a pub bike (1989 Dawes Super Galaxy) but I have an itch for more!

It needs a clean but I hope you enjoy.

Tom

« Reply #7732 on: 04 June, 2015, 04:52:08 am »

Trek Stache 9, 29+. Got an entry to do the Barebones 200, and plan is to do it on this.

« Reply #7733 on: 04 June, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »

Trek Stache 9, 29+. Got an entry to do the Barebones 200, and plan is to do it on this.

you've got 6 months to get a bit of practise with it :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7734 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:29:28 am »
36h to ride 200k? :-X

nice bike

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7735 on: 17 June, 2015, 03:27:51 pm »
Picked up my new brompton yesterday. Feels pretty comfy to ride.

Is that the "Mini O" bag?

I've been very tempted to get one.  It looks like a really useful size.

Got one (for my Pink and black blotchy Brommie).

It's the absolute perfect size for what I want.  Small toolkit, spare tube, keys, phone & wallet (in internal zipped pocket) and plenty of room for a waterproof.

Bigger
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7736 on: 18 June, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »
And here's mine with a newer, more Kim-friendly saddle, modelling the other extreme of Brompton luggage options:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7737 on: 18 June, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »
Fun beast:

Trek Domane 4.5. Done about 160k on it so far.  Hell of a change from my 11 kg Audax bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

« Reply #7738 on: 19 June, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »
Picked up my new brompton yesterday. Feels pretty comfy to ride.

What saddle have you got, and how far have you ridden? I swapped the saddle for a Brooks on my S type, but still felt I wouldn't want to do more than about 5 miles. Then one night I was going to have to wait an hour for the train and cycled the 12 miles home. It wasn't utter joy, but with 3 gears on a flat and fairly wind-free night it wasn't hell either.

Still can't imagine doing a big ride on one though.

I'm jealous of the new brake levers.

« Reply #7739 on: 19 June, 2015, 11:45:12 pm »
Its just the standard brompton saddle. My longest ride to date is about 18 km. Its very comfy over short distances, but I was quite happy to get to the office by then.
The brake levers - they feel pretty good, but are at an odd angle, pointing downwards. I guess its to do with the fold.

Paul

« Reply #7740 on: 20 June, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
Its just the standard brompton saddle. My longest ride to date is about 18 km. Its very comfy over short distances, but I was quite happy to get to the office by then.
The brake levers - they feel pretty good, but are at an odd angle, pointing downwards. I guess its to do with the fold.

Is 18k about 12 miles? Whatever the opposite of momentum is, I think small wheels have it.

The new levers look more effective.

As for angle; from your one - possibly unrepresentative photo - I'd have said the levers are reasonably close to the correct angle (in line with your hand if your forearm and wrist were straight). However, you might find (as I did) that you can rotate the bars (or levers) a smidge without compromising the fold.

However, the bars generally give very little room for changing hand position and the bike doesn't allow for much variation in position/style, and those combined are very tiring factors.

But I am middle aged and grumpy, and there are so many more tiring factors than there used to be.

Everywhere.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7741 on: 20 June, 2015, 02:58:41 pm »

Acorn#1 after her first test ride on her new Trek (which is gathering quite a yacf heritage - I bought it from fboab who in turn got it from eck).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Chris S

« Reply #7742 on: 20 June, 2015, 03:05:49 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #7743 on: 20 June, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »
She'll get super-speedy on it. That saddle came from AndyC. It's catching, y'know.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7744 on: 20 June, 2015, 03:30:20 pm »
She'll get super-speedy on it. That saddle came from AndyC. It's catching, y'know.

She kept saying that the bike wanted her to go faster.  I thought it better to keep her speed down until she got the hang of braking from the hoods  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7745 on: 20 June, 2015, 03:32:54 pm »
Nice one Acorn #1!

« Reply #7746 on: 21 June, 2015, 11:06:47 am »
Transplant.

« Reply #7747 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:06:05 pm »
It's been a while since I last posted a picture of my Dirty Disco so here's a recent one:-

15-04-29 On-One Dirty Disco with rack in Travelodge by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

It's in the Llandudno Travelodge after the CycleChat Manchester-Llandudno ride.
It was a trial run for the Friday's Normandy Tour.
I fitted an Axiom rack and carried my gear in a small Ortleib Rack Pack.
It worked really well.
I've also fitted Hope V Twin controlled hydraulic brakes since the last time I showed the bike. I like them  :thumbsup:.

Since I took that photo, the wheels have been replaced by Velocity Alerons on my red Hope hubs.
I should take a picture of it like that; the deep rims look pretty good IMO.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7748 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:03:52 am »
Fred (named after my much missed Dad) the Surly Disc Trucker is finished ...

^^^ Sorry about the bit of tape sticking up, I've fixed it  :thumbsup:

I did 40+ miles astride him on Wednesday evening and despite his 17.95k weight, a heavy saddlebag and 35c Marathon Plus Tour tyres Fred rolled along very well.  Road abnormalities were just bounced over!

I think Fred and I are going to have a lot of fun together.  Plans are being made for touring and stuff.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7749 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:10:30 am »
You know we do have spoiler tags for filth like that.

Mighty fine looking fine bike, looking forward to see it the fleshsteal.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit