Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452038 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8375 on: 08 November, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »
And I opened this page hoping for a shot in OD's rear end.

Oh dear!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8376 on: 08 November, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
And I opened this page hoping for a shot in OD's rear end.

Oh dear!  :o

It would appear I'm growing up so I resisted the temptation and instead I offer you this ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8377 on: 08 November, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »
Phwoar!

Ok, I've calmed down now. Is that seat post carboniferous goodliness?

« Reply #8378 on: 08 November, 2016, 09:56:02 pm »
My first ever custom built touring frame from George (and then several more tandems and trikes and . . . )

Sported shot in stays. 1992

Just sexy ;D

I don't believe that they are shot in stays. IIRC the stays are combined with the seat bolt, so that each stay is fixed to either side of the clamp. A close of of Oscar's Dad's rear end! will show what it is actually like.

Yet another topic going astray ::-) Sorry

Dear departed George just asked if I wanted 'shot in stays' when discussing me custom touring frame build.

I said yes

Maybe 'wrap around but not entirely and a bit short' would be a better description?   ;D.
Doesn't really matter does it? That's a lovely bit of frame building 😀

Samuel D

« Reply #8379 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:19:56 pm »
What do you ride these days, Robh? (I haven’t seen all 336 pages of this thread!)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8380 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »
Phwoar!

Ok, I've calmed down now. Is that seat post carboniferous goodliness?

Nothing more exotic than alloy I'm afraid. Sorry!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8381 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:14:05 am »
boardman hybrid after its 250km outing

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8382 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:33:38 am »
Sporty hybrid.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8383 on: 09 November, 2016, 12:55:27 pm »
Sporty hybrid.

in my view it's just a bog standard hybrid, far from being sporty. heavy wheels (2.6kg without tyres!), slow(ish) tyres, 3x7 gears, bendy chainset, mudguards, weighs 12.7kg unladen..

what's good about it that the fit is dialed in perfectly for endurance riding and everything adjusted to work flawlessly :thumbsup:

« Reply #8384 on: 09 November, 2016, 02:53:32 pm »
What do you ride these days, Robh? (I haven’t seen all 336 pages of this thread!)
2016-11-09_02-29-24 by robhall, on Flickr

and

2016-11-09_02-30-57 by robhall, on Flickr

and

IMG_20141109_152138 by robhall, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8385 on: 09 November, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
That Thorn looks enormous! The Roberts looks quite big too; but the Shand doesn't. Presuming the Shand is newest, cos it looks it, have you shrunk in the wash?  :D

Shand's really nice. Shame they're so expensive.

What's the light on the back of your saddle pack? I've got a Cateye 610 there but do think something broader beamed might be better in that waggly place.

« Reply #8386 on: 09 November, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »
The Thorn looks big because of the 26" wheels. It's what I was riding that time we met up for Julia's camping weekend last September, so you've seen it in the flesh.

The Shand has a shorter wheelbase than the Roberts but otherwise the setup is very close. In fact, since I took that picture, I've adjusted the bars a little on the Roberts to bring them inline with the Shand.

When I was measured for the Shand, I was advised to go for their Medium frame. I was surprised at the time - I thought I would be more on the large side - but it works well for me and is a very comfortable ride.

The light on the back is a Lezyne Zecto: I couldn't say whether or not the beam is any broader than a Cateye 610.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8387 on: 09 November, 2016, 04:19:44 pm »
The Thorn looks big because of the 26" wheels. It's what I was riding that time we met up for Julia's camping weekend last September, so you've seen it in the flesh.
Ah, yes! Seems so long ago.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8388 on: 09 November, 2016, 05:47:49 pm »
Some nice bikes there Robh.

« Reply #8389 on: 09 November, 2016, 06:33:31 pm »
ooh, a Rolhoff Shand, now thats nice.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8390 on: 10 November, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »
As a matter of interest, Rob, how many miles has your Thorn done? I'm particularly interested in the Hollowtech type 1 BB.

That's the same BB setup that I had on my Thorn for the first 26000 miles. I never did get around to changing the bearings because some silly bugger in a Fiesta ran into me and bent the right crank and pedal. The whole set - BB, cranks, pedals and chain adjuster - had to be replaced. The replacement was Type 2 Hollowtech, and the external bearings on those are so rubbish that I'm on my third set in only 10000 miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8391 on: 10 November, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »
Can't really help you Wow. I originally bought a second-hand Thorn Catalyst from them and moved all of the parts onto this new frame because the Catalyst angles didn't suit me. (If anybody wants to buy a Catalyst frame in excellent condition, contact me!)

So the bottom bracket was used by the time I got my hands on it. Plus, I don't keep track of my mileage, so I really have no idea how far the BB has been ridden. Judging from the condition of the bike it was originally on, and knowing my own efforts, I would say that it hasn't had a hard life.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8392 on: 10 November, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
So, as mentioned up thread I have a new bike, who has been christened Dakota as she is one shade of grey.  Dakota Johnson played Anna, the female lead character in the film adaptation of “Fifty Shades of Grey” - my new bike is a toothsome lass both lithe of limb and body, much like Ms Johnson – I hope she’ll be pleased if she ever finds out.

During the summer of 2015 I finished building Fred my Surly Disc Trucker, here he is on comedy off-roading mode …

… and Fred’s steel frame proved to something of a revelation as the last steel framed bike I rode was in the mid-80s.  Suddenly my alloy framed Ribble 7005 winter trainer / audax machine felt choppy and rough, even with carbon forks and hand built wheels.  Despite Son of Oscar the Ribble being a trusty friend since 2009, since which time we have traveled many thousands of miles together over all manner of terrain and at every hour of the day and night, my mind turned to replacing him with a steel framed bicycle that was substantially lighter than Fred.

The thread I linked to in the previous paragraph prompted that nice man Torslanda of John’s Bikes, Manchester to offer me a Reynolds 653 lugged frame built by TJ Quick in 1990 for Robh of this parish.  Even from the photos the frame looked lovely with its Stronglight headset, shot-in seat stays (now I know what they are!) and dropped crown fork.  John said he also had a nice pair of wheels with Ambrosio Evolution rims and polished Ambrosio hubs – a deal was done! 

The frame and wheels seemed to offer the chance to have a bike that was different from the Ribble and markedly different from the Surly, which in heavy duty tour mode weighs in at 18kg!  To make the difference all the more marked I decided to go for the SRAM Apex group set.  I have never used SRAM kit and none of my bikes have ever had a compact double.  It’s also been a long time since I rode a bike with integrated brake levers and shifters; both Fred and the Ribble sported bar end shifters.  With mudguards (PDW Full Metal Fenders off the Ribble) and pedals Dakota weighs a bit over 10kg.

And here she is …

It wasn’t just Dakota’s looks and potential that attracted me, but also her heritage.  She was clearly built by a craftsman so I have researched TJ Quick.  Tom, or Tommy as he appears to be also known, Quick had his first shop in the early 50s having been a frame builder with Holdsworth beforehand.  They offered him a job after he’d asked them to check over a frame he’d built in his garden shed.  After a couple of moves he ended up with a shop in Stansted Road, Forest Hill.  Tom developed a reputation for lightweight road bikes and track bikes, the latter no doubt helped by his proximity to the Herne Hill Velodrome where his bikes were often seen.  There are reports of him building a few mountain bikes later in his career and he also built the triplet used by The Goodies on their BBC telly programmes.   Tom undertook general engineering jobs as well as building frames sold under other brands.  Apparently he retired in 2000 to enjoy his golf and in 2013 was reported as being in his 80s, I hope Tom is still going strong – I’d love to meet him.

An article written by Magnus Miles and published in The Independent in April 1993 gives you a sense of what Tom Quick and his shop were like:

I am not a serious cyclist in the competitive sense, but I like to do a 50-miler now and then, and when I do I want a decent set of wheels under me. I have done a few long trips on my mountain bike, but it is hard work, so I decided to treat myself to a hand-built road bike, a fast tourer.  A lot of bike shops are a bit flash for my liking: I wanted a more traditional type of place. When someone recommended TJQ in Forest Hill, south London, run by Thomas Quick, who builds bikes on the premises, I liked the sound of it and one day I decided to call in.

Behind the counter was a young man in glasses. I told him what I required and he prepared an estimate. It was soon obvious that he knew what he was talking about. It was also obvious that the bike would not be cheap: he came up with pounds 700 for a fully-fitted machine.

While we were talking I became aware of a lurking presence in the room behind the shop. I had heard that Mr Quick was a modest man. 'Er . . . is that the workshop through there?' I asked. 'Yes,' replied the young man, in a way that prevented further questioning. Mr Quick was clearly not going to make an appearance on this occasion.

But when I went back a couple of weeks later, they were both in the shop. Mr Quick looks like a cycle engineer should look. My decision was made. 'I've decided to have my bike built here,' I announced. And at that moment, I realised that the decision was not up to me. It was up to Mr Quick. He looked at the young man; then at me again. Yes, he said, he would build me a bike.

'I understand you make the bikes on the premises,' I said.

'Yes, I build the frame and paint it, and young Neil here will fit the gear.'

'Right,' I enthused, 'I'll leave it all up to you, then. I don't know anything about bike-building.' Mr Quick did not pass comment but merely glanced at Neil, then at my primitive mountain bike, which I had parked inside his shop. Mr Quick is of the old school and I do not think he likes mountain bikes much.

He produced a tape measure. 'First, we'll have to see how tall you are and measure your legs.' He said 'legs' as if the word were in inverted commas.

As Mr Quick measured me, I said: 'I'd like the colour to be British Rail red.' Mr Quick and Neil glanced at each other again. He wrote something in his notebook, then crossed it out. You could have Post Office red or signal red, he told me; there was no British Rail red. I chose signal red.

'And everything else black,' I added. They both looked at me. 'Everything?'

'Except the chrome bits,' I corrected.

My only other specifications were a Brooks racing saddle and Cinelli handlebars, which have an attractive sweep.

'It will be Reynolds 531 Competition Tubing,' Mr Quick informed me.

And that was it. A couple of weeks later I received a polite letter: 'The cycle which you ordered is now complete and ready for collection. The price is as quoted pounds 700.'

I went up on the bus to pick it up. A beautiful red machine stood in the middle of the shop. Mr Quick seemed pleased with it.

I thought I saw him smile as I rode away. And it goes like the clappers.

The chap called Neil mentioned in the article is Neil Manning who is now Condor's Production Director.

I'm extremely grateful to Torslanda for offering me the frame and doing such a good job building it up.  He also got the rear triangle resprayed, you can't see the join! 

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8393 on: 10 November, 2016, 07:26:33 pm »
and here is its big brother, with cantilever brake mounts, but same colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-J-Quick-Reynolds-531c-Steel-Road-Audax-Touring-Frameset-w-Shimano-600-6207-/162267108406?hash=item25c7df9436:g:-l4AAOSwXeJYFSKN

obviousy stands for Too Jolly Quick.  ;)

« Reply #8394 on: 10 November, 2016, 08:00:39 pm »
and here is its big brother, with cantilever brake mounts, but same colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-J-Quick-Reynolds-531c-Steel-Road-Audax-Touring-Frameset-w-Shimano-600-6207-/162267108406?hash=item25c7df9436:g:-l4AAOSwXeJYFSKN

obviousy stands for Too Jolly Quick.  ;)

Looks a bit small, thank goodness

Samuel D

« Reply #8395 on: 10 November, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »
Dakota is a fine piece of machinery. That newspaper story adds colour, too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8396 on: 10 November, 2016, 09:51:29 pm »
Dakota is a fine piece of machinery. That newspaper story adds colour, too.
Not just any colour but signal red.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8397 on: 11 November, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »
are those the 80mm valves? :o :) (a good excuse for aero wheels!)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8398 on: 11 November, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »
are those the 80mm valves? :o :) (a good excuse for aero wheels!)

Yes and a mistake on my part, ordered the wrong ones from Wiggle. When I have a moment I will change them as they look a bit stupid.

« Reply #8399 on: 13 November, 2016, 04:15:23 pm »
meet Nelly:

she's **majestic** :)