Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452196 times)

Chris N

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2900 on: 24 March, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
It wasn't my mouth I was worried about after 250 miles. ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2901 on: 24 March, 2010, 06:56:08 pm »
Brooks=love your bum ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2902 on: 24 March, 2010, 07:44:56 pm »
TT bike completed:

I love the noise carbon wheels make!

токамак : if this every goes walkies do not come to SW6 as it will not, I repeat and look into my eyes look into my eyes, it will NOT be there at all, hanging on the wall.

That is a beaut, rubbing ones legs .... ( you lucky sod :) )
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2903 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »
Cracking bike Foghat :thumbsup:

Thanks, Fuzzy!

« Reply #2904 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
Wow. If the number of photos and lights equates to the ride quality, that's going to be one very shit-hot bike   ;)

They do, and it is!

« Reply #2905 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
You mean it would be too costly to run Dura Ace kit on dirty roads in the winter. That's the driving factor for most of us. If I was a multi millionaire my hack bike would make that Pearson look pretty average.

Back to reality, I concur that Pearson is lovely, but as I don't do cleaning I'm afraid I'd be unsure about taking that out in the usual British summer, let alone commuting in winter. ::-)

EDIT: What does annoy me about it is the tyres! You talk about saving some weight hence the carbon frame etc, then you use the heaviest tyres you can find!

Calm down dear, it's only a nice bike!  ;D

Actually, the tyres (along with every single aspect of this bike) are very carefully considered indeed, and the logic is as follows.  Robust tyres that grip like buggery are an absolute must and are the starting point for my winter wheels on the commuter. I don't know about your commuting roads, but much as I would like to use some of my superb Vittoria Open CXs in winter, my desire not to be held up by the need to fix punctures with wet/cold/dirty hands in zero street lighting significantly overrides the pleasure to be had from an extra 1mph on the average speed.

So, given this starting point of an absolute need for robust tyres, when ultimate-specifying the optimum commuter for my commute, the next thing is to identify the lightest super-robust-grip-like-buggery tyre which will help absorb the vibration from the dismal road surfaces and the tiresomely numerous cattle grids encountered (i.e. needing 28mm actual width rather than 28mm nominal width - hence the '32mm' Top Contacts).   Top Contacts seemed to be the most advanced super-robust tyres, coming in at 500g (with folding bead) c.f. a lot more grammes in other super-robust tyres.  

Therefore, far from being a daft choice to run on such a light/responsive commuter, these tyres are ideally specified for the task in hand.  The argument that having 500g tyres means the rest of the bike should not be as light as possible is rather specious, I'm afraid.  Having 300m of elevation gain each way means that shedding unnecessary weight (500g tyres are rather necessary, as demonstrated) makes absolute sense.  I'd love it if the day was longer and I had the time to drag out the long commute, but I don't, so since I have to add a few hundred grammes for the tyres, it's nice to be able to take it off again by using Dura Ace and a Tubus Airy rack and a carbon seat post etc etc (yes, I know the tyre weight is rotating weight and so has a greater effect, but the theory is still valid).  I did select an Ultegra cassette, though, for better wear in wet/gritty conditions.

I don't really agree with the various comments about dirty roads meaning running |Dura Ace has to be ultra-costly.  The answer is to clean the bike!  This applies to Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 and everything else all the way down to SRAM and Campagnolo (:P).  Having nice components means there's an added incentive to do that all-important cleaning.  I have pretty dire roads, in terms of cleanliness c.f. city streets, but a decent weekend clean and the occasional mid-week wipe/re-lube of chain is perfect to keep Dura Ace in top working order.  Are you all riding through slurry pits and quarries or something?

« Reply #2906 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »
I have XTR pedals on my commuter. :)

You know it makes sense! ;)

« Reply #2907 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »
it's a great looking bike

Thanks!

if I had a similar-sounding commute

I'm already down to a complement of 9.5 manual digits courtesy of the specific dangers 'unique' to the roads I commute on! :hand:  Now you lot understand the lights, maybe?

fishing-reel components!   O:-)

Pack that in now, sonny!  ;)

« Reply #2908 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:41:26 pm »
Don't you get hassle from oncoming car drivers? 
Those are both symmetrical beams and both incredibly bright.  Do you have a "dipped" option?
I'm fairly sure I'd retaliate with full-beam if you had those shining at me.

I very rarely get hassled by drivers for my lighting.  Firstly, as I said, my commute is lightly trafficked (lucky, I know).  Secondly, I do use the lighting responsibly despite how the super-array may look at first glance in daylight.

The Lupine Betty is, as you say, super bright......in full-on mode.  I actually use the brightness levels to either dim to the pretty low 1W mode for approaching traffic or to go supernova for the ultra-dangerous bits.  You can't see from the photos, but the Betty is actually swivelled towards the left of its adjustment so that it illuminates the nearside more and glares at oncoming road-users less.  It is also very easy to nudge up and down, again so  that oncoming road-users are not blinded.  The HID on the head is very easy to keep directed away from drivers' windscreens (or shone directly at them if they need a reminder to dip).  It is also fantastic for spotting the dangers.

The Supernova E3 dynamo is nice and bright, but not stupidly bright.  As I deliberately chose a SON20 Dynohub (much lighter than a SON28 and designed for a faster-rotating 20" wheel), the staged brightness phases achievable at different speeds mean that it is only super bright at quite high speed, when I need it most.  It is also on a Cateye bracket that has a lot of horizontal adjustment so it can be directed to the nearside very quickly and easily.  And although it is difficult to tell from the photos, the forward throw in that position means oncoming road-users are not inconvenienced.

So - there is method (and consideration of others) in the madness!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2909 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:45:02 pm »
Pretty much perfect.

Thanks - that is what I have aspired to for this bike!

« Reply #2910 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:45:16 pm »
TT bike completed:

That is almost enough to make me want to take up TT'ing. Very, very nice.

« Reply #2911 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »
Don't you get hassle from oncoming car drivers? 

Doesn't that depend on the angle the lights are set at? They do look to be set pointing quite high up, but maybe the pics are deceptive.

d.

See reply to Lee above....

« Reply #2912 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:48:17 pm »
Yep. I did initially remark on the number of gears on Foghat's bike ("perfect apart from too many gears"), but if there are hills on his commuting route...

The inside bend on my longest and steepest hill is 1:5-ish!

« Reply #2913 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »
i must say that for a summer commuter though, Foghat's would be hard to beat...

And winter if you clean it.....

border-rider

« Reply #2914 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:52:27 pm »
Every night :)

No ta.

« Reply #2915 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »
Every night :)

No ta.

Spin like a gibbering hamster down the descents and slog up the hills with an anvil in tow (i.e. ride fixed).

No thanks. ;)

border-rider

« Reply #2916 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:37:25 pm »
Or, develop a bit of  souplesse and a bit of strength and just ride down and up the hills ;)

« Reply #2917 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »
Or, develop a bit of  souplesse and a bit of strength and just ride down and up the hills ;)

Got all that.  Uber-smoothers G Bugno and S Roche learnt it all from me..... ;D

I want to get to work and home again faster!

border-rider

« Reply #2918 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
So you have more time to clean the bike ?

O:-)

« Reply #2919 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:46:13 pm »
I don't really agree with the various comments about dirty roads meaning running |Dura Ace has to be ultra-costly.  The answer is to clean the bike!  This applies to Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 and everything else all the way down to SRAM and Campagnolo (:P).  Having nice components means there's an added incentive to do that all-important cleaning.  I have pretty dire roads, in terms of cleanliness c.f. city streets, but a decent weekend clean and the occasional mid-week wipe/re-lube of chain is perfect to keep Dura Ace in top working order.  Are you all riding through slurry pits and quarries or something?

I already agree with the idea of spending on quality for a long range commuter and most of your choices seem sound. I can also understand that a SS or fixed could be impractical. But following your own logic shouldn't that have led to a Rohloff rather than derailler setup?
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #2920 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:49:47 pm »
TT bike completed:

That is almost enough to make me want to take up TT'ing. Very, very nice.

It might help me go faster, but it won't make TT'ing any easier!

« Reply #2921 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:50:16 pm »
So you have more time to clean the bike ?

O:-)

Or rather to sink into another stunning Scarlet-Fire or a scintillating China-Rider or a swirling Dark Star..... nice 8)

Cleaning's once a week plus occasional dabs.....that's all (in a bad week).  And in summer.....think of all that extra 'Dead' time  :D

« Reply #2922 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »
токамак : if this every goes walkies do not come to SW6 as it will not, I repeat and look into my eyes look into my eyes, it will NOT be there at all, hanging on the wall.

That is a beaut, rubbing ones legs .... ( you lucky sod :) )

Oi, Get your own! Can't you have a word with the Principia boys back home? ;)

« Reply #2923 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »
I already agree with the idea of spending on quality for a long range commuter and most of your choices seem sound. I can also understand that a SS or fixed could be impractical. But following your own logic shouldn't that have led to a Rohloff rather than derailler setup?

On that frame?  Doubt if it would fit/work.  And don't forget it also has to be the summer commuter.....

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2924 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »
My commuting bike gets the chain cleaned every six weeks or so in winter...and everything else is just left to get mucky (I smear the chromed bits with vaseline).  The dirt reaches a plateau after a few days of wet lanes anyway.  It is, however, fixed, which means it tolerates this sort of thing better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.