Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451975 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4275 on: 20 March, 2011, 11:07:02 pm »
Ah yes, I looked at the other photos in the link again, it's a bit clearer.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4276 on: 21 March, 2011, 09:45:05 am »
There's also a company in Diss that manufactures parts for F1 that are dabbling in carbon bikes

Is that Pace? In a former life we used them for one-off prototype parts.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4277 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:04:13 am »
Looks really nice, not sure on the drilled bottom bracket however.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4278 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:39:42 am »
not sure on the drilled bottom bracket however.

Helps drain off what the rear wheel throws into the brake cable exit hole... ;)

LEE

« Reply #4279 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:29:59 am »
Looks really nice, not sure on the drilled bottom bracket however.

+1

Apart from that it looks gorgeous (well the drilled bottom bracket looks nice, I just wouldn't want the extra cleaning job of getting all the crap out of it).

How much do I need to save?

« Reply #4280 on: 21 March, 2011, 01:49:08 pm »
@Woofage - No, Beru, they're called. Had a wander around there for work purposes. Impressive setup, but no previous experience with bikes. Didn't get to ride one, so can't say anything apart from that they looked cool.

@Gene Hunt - It's a fair-weather machine, so there's no problem really.

@Lee - I'm aiming to never get it dirty. And I would love to say what it costs, but I can't. Each frame is priced up individually, and I was sworn to secrecy. He does good work, and his price is fair considering that he hasn't yet had the chance to build up a reputation like some of the more established framebuilders - something he seems to be rectifying pretty quickly.

« Reply #4281 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »

Respect that it will not be out in the rain but your still going to get dust and grit etc finding its way in.

The main worry I had is strength, you seem to have lost a lot of metal from the area.

« Reply #4282 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

Respect that it will not be out in the rain but your still going to get dust and grit etc finding its way in.

The main worry I had is strength, you seem to have lost a lot of metal from the area.

I think it's the other way round, only a dry weather bike shouldn't have the cutouts/holes under the BB. Water will definitely get into the seat tube on a bike without mudguards,  and it'll end up inside the BB shell. On wet roads there'll be a constant stream of water hitting the back of the seat tune and seatpin, and some water will get in eventually. BB cutouts are nothing new, often they're decorative but they still have a practical use.

It doesn't mater if dirt or water gets inside the shell, they can't reach the bearings; modern cartridge BBs are a separate unit and cup and cone BBs had a plastic sleeve between the cups.

Although IMO the holes on this bike is not particularly attractive, actually I think it's rather crude.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4283 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:00:52 pm »
It doesn't mater if dirt or water gets inside the shell, they can't reach the bearings; modern cartridge BBs are a separate unit and cup and cone BBs had a plastic sleeve between the cups.

So, the cartridge BB that I pulled out of my winter bike, what caused that to corrode?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4284 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »
Ferrous Oxide fairees,evolved from puncture fairees many millenia ago :)

« Reply #4285 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »

So, the cartridge BB that I pulled out of my winter bike, what caused that to corrode?

Which part of the cartridge BB corroded? Is that from a frame without cutouts/drain holes? Or maybe water got in at the axle/bearings area.

I was only taking about water getting inside the BB shell. Obviously, you need to coat the inside of the shell and the outside of BB unit with grease, so the any water that gets in can't do any damage before it drains out or dries off.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4286 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:29:19 am »
It was a Campagnolo Chorus cartridge in a steel frame 2-3 years old when the cranks developed an alarming amount of play. The bearings were dried out and there was a lot of oxide dust in there. There is a small drainage hole, but the bike has full mudguards so I don't think much water got sprayed down the seat tube. I do know it was installed in a bit of a rush at the LBS (they'd forgotten do it when I arrived there on the way home from work at 5:15pm on a Friday!) Even so, I don't see how grease would help, apart from protecting the shell threads. I'm pretty sure that this was water damage.

Incidentally, I have an identical BB in a bike I bought 12 years that's still going strong (although that's not ridden in winter).

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4287 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »
It was a Campagnolo Chorus cartridge in a steel frame 2-3 years old when the cranks developed an alarming amount of play. The bearings were dried out and there was a lot of oxide dust in there. There is a small drainage hole, but the bike has full mudguards so I don't think much water got sprayed down the seat tube. I do know it was installed in a bit of a rush at the LBS (they'd forgotten do it when I arrived there on the way home from work at 5:15pm on a Friday!) Even so, I don't see how grease would help, apart from protecting the shell threads. I'm pretty sure that this was water damage.

Incidentally, I have an identical BB in a bike I bought 12 years that's still going strong (although that's not ridden in winter).

Would've never happened with shimano  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4288 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:19:01 am »
Posted here as well as the "What have you been fettling thread" - this is the latest addition to the fold.

Courtesy of Sam - it's cost me about £40 in bits so far. It's a bit of a challenge since I haven't ridden anything like this in about 35 years.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4289 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:29:27 am »
Nice to see it come back to life.
Getting there...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4290 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »
Current set up for my Aravis Audax - probably the same set up as the last pic I posted but leaning against a different post in a different place ;)

Henry Burton by windy_, on Flickr

« Reply #4291 on: 25 March, 2011, 08:23:43 am »
The latest addition:

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #4292 on: 25 March, 2011, 10:49:07 am »
Kool!

Will you be fitting a brake?  Any idea what it weighs?

Edit:  needs a less confortable saddle, something sharper and carbon :-)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4293 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:40:44 am »
Will you be fitting a brake? 

It's a track bike. For riding the track.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4294 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
Will you be fitting a brake? 

It's a track bike. For riding the track.

Quickly.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4295 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:06:47 pm »
Stopping is not an option.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4296 on: 25 March, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »
It'll be used on the track so no brake...none of yer poncey fixie hipster nonsense  ;D

No idea what it weighs but I can weigh it later....

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #4297 on: 25 March, 2011, 06:34:30 pm »
I'm aware it's a track bike, but so are a massive % of others seen on the road...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4298 on: 25 March, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
Most of those are pretend track bikes, not suitable for racing on a proper velodrome.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4299 on: 25 March, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »
Just weighed it: 7.5kg