Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164558 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #175 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:33:00 am »
Maybe the UMCA are upset about entering under a nickname? That reason would make as much sense as anything else. There has never been any UMCA prohibition about riding with others during these attempts. My guess is that he didn't pay his entry fee in time.

It doesn't matter in reality as Strava would give enough recognition anyway. After all, if anybody beats Tommy's 100,000 mile record, there is no means for 'official' recognition.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #176 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
Rule 7 includes:
Riders will be required to have an active live tracking device in operation for all mileage to be credited for the attempt
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #177 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:41:09 am »
Rule 7 includes:
Riders will be required to have an active live tracking device in operation for all mileage to be credited for the attempt

Oops yes good point, oh boy this is going to get messy

« Reply #178 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:45:10 am »
From Bruce on FaceAche:
Bruce Berkeley: What a load of rubbish, an admin error at their end!
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

hillbilly

« Reply #179 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:49:36 am »
Stop. HAMR time.

« Reply #180 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:50:17 am »
and:

Andy Cox: Can it be sorted?

Chris Hopkinson: I believe not. I have just received Official notification of DQ from the UMCA!!
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

LMT

« Reply #181 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:05:36 am »
Why is this coming from Hoppo and not the UMCA or Bruce?

The cynic in me says is saying that Hoppo has made a complaint and it has been upheld by the UMCA.

« Reply #182 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
It doesn't matter in reality as Strava would give enough recognition anyway. After all, if anybody beats Tommy's 100,000 mile record, there is no means for 'official' recognition.

Agree, the accreditation thing is a red herring.  What matters is what people believe, based on the evidence we have.  In the internet / Strava age, with informed scrutiny from thousands of people, it doesn't require a body such as UMCA to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a thing has been done.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #183 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:11:05 am »
The only reason that UMCA has any authority over the record is because Steve decided to do it under their banner.  Kurt followed suit and that added some credibility.

However, the HAMR is something that lives in the minds of the community participating in this event.   For me, I congratulate Kurt on the official record, but deep down I know that TG rode more miles in one 12 month period (and calendar year) than any man ever in history.

If Bruce manages to surpass this number in 365 days, then he will be the holder of the record - I don't care what UMCA says or does not say.  Allez Bruce.

« Reply #184 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
<Snip>
I don't care what UMCA says or does not say.  Allez Bruce.

There has to be some rules though, 365 days of moto-pacing would be a very different record

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #185 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:25:40 am »
If the UMCA really are going to disqualify someone whose track record and bona fides seem so rock solid, then they need to have a damned good reason and to be very open about it, otherwise it will be them that will be judged, and not the person they are disqualifying.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #186 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:35:49 am »
I note that he wasn't on the umca leaderboard and isn't now. Did he fail to properly register his attempt with them?

« Reply #187 on: 17 January, 2016, 10:44:03 am »
I note that he wasn't on the umca leaderboard and isn't now. Did he fail to properly register his attempt with them?

I think UMCA are volunteers as well.  The website has always lagged.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #188 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:08:10 am »
The only reason that UMCA has any authority over the record is because Steve decided to do it under their banner.  Kurt followed suit and that added some credibility.

However, the HAMR is something that lives in the minds of the community participating in this event.   For me, I congratulate Kurt on the official record, but deep down I know that TG rode more miles in one 12 month period (and calendar year) than any man ever in history.

If Bruce manages to surpass this number in 365 days, then he will be the holder of the record - I don't care what UMCA says or does not say.  Allez Bruce.

I'm pretty sure that Tommy didn't claim a retrospective record for the highest mileage in 365 consecutive days, and I don't think anyone else should claim it on his behalf. He stated the dates between which his record attempt would take place, and that is the mileage that counts. And Kurt beat him.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #189 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:18:48 am »
To be pedantic, Tommy set a year record (1 Jan to 31 Dec). Kurt set a 365 consecutive days record, which isn't exactly the same thing.

« Reply #190 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:29:36 am »
And the UMCA didn't recognise Tommy's record since it wasn't done under their watch.

What generally happens is that someone sets up another entity to ratify records, and accepts records done under the watch of certain other entities (e.g. Guinness, UMCA). That way the record ends up being unified at some point.

Just uploading rides to Strava itself shouldn't be classed as solid proof, I can create convincing GPX files (including power or HR data) that would pass close scrutiny. This is why UMCA and Guinness require some photo/video evidence from the riders too (and UMCA require live tracking).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #191 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:49:31 am »

Yes, I had been hoping that Kurt would surpass Tommy's highest total in a 365-day period to unify the record.  So I hope that Bruce does too: that should be his real target.
AIUI Tommy's best 365 days was not a pre-set goal but there's no getting away from the fact that it is the furthest ridden by anyone in a non-calendar year so Kurt's record - while a magnificent acheivement - will always have to have an asterisk and a footnote against it.

hillbilly

« Reply #192 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:56:53 am »
(Edited to remove rudeness)

Kurt got the record. No qualification needed.

« Reply #193 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »

Yes, I had been hoping that Kurt would surpass Tommy's highest total in a 365-day period to unify the record.  So I hope that Bruce does too: that should be his real target.
AIUI Tommy's best 365 days was not a pre-set goal but there's no getting away from the fact that it is the furthest ridden by anyone in a non-calendar year so Kurt's record - while a magnificent acheivement - will always have to have an asterisk and a footnote against it.
Sorry to ask if it's already been posted, but what is that non-calendar 365 total set by TG?
Just out of interest - was Kurt ever aware of that? Has Steve ever mentioned it?
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #194 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »
I think Jo's research has indicated that it is some way in excess of 76000, but I can't remember exactly where he mentioned this. No doubt Citizen Fish is the person to ask.

red marley

« Reply #195 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »
That would be a great shame if Bruce's efforts are not authenticated by UMCA or another 'official' body. He's got off to a cracking start and shows every sign of possessing the drive and consistency necessary to break the record.

I am a believer in a 'crowdsourced validation' – if we trust the record, it has de facto legitimacy. My only slight reservation, apart from the need to be reassured that the logged miles are legitimate, is that the recording mechanism of previous records does itself have a cost to the riders, so makes comparisons a little more difficult if future record holders were not obliged to follow the same. In Tommy's case, most obviously, was the need for signed witness cards, which over the year must have accumulated a lot of 'wasted' time. In Steve's case, we know of at least one day where problems with the spot satellite tracker cost him some time to sort out. Perhaps this isn't much in the scheme of things, but something to consider.

red marley

« Reply #196 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:08:41 pm »

Absolutely.

An irrelevant distraction to demote a non Jan 1st-Dec 31st record. In an international competition, January has no particular seasonal importance. If people want to create their own internal British January 1st-December 31st league table, they are free to do so, but Kurt completed the record entirely within the rules agreed before he started.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #197 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »
Quite.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #198 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:26:29 pm »

Absolutely.

Every single year record before Kurt was ridden 1 Jan to 31 Dec. This was at the expense of not having a bike to ride during the first few days for one or two of the record holders.

simonp

« Reply #199 on: 17 January, 2016, 12:59:33 pm »
The official results spreadsheet which was last updated on the 11th makes no mention of Bruce Berkeley. That would tend to suggest a problem with his entry.