Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 165289 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #350 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »

You could put "I think" or "In my opinion" before the sentence so that someone doesn't read it and think it's fact and go off and quote it elsewhere. It's quite simple.

Yeah, that's bound to work  ;D

« Reply #351 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:11:22 pm »
I'd be pretty miffed if I was a Guinness record holder and someone came along claiming the same record without having done any of the groundwork to have it verified.
Did road.cc write an article on the current Monthly record holder? I wonder what the current status is of Bruce's Guinness Record? Claiming it without it actually being verified is a bit rich.

I wonder what Janet Davison could do in the 24? She looks to have the right build.

Are you calling me fat?

« Reply #352 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:17:39 pm »
She's in the Michael Broadwith mould. He's a mathematician as well, a teacher I think.

« Reply #353 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:23:27 pm »
Yep, but you don't need to be a stick to win it :)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #354 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:57:31 pm »
I've now read Chris Hopkinson's posts on Bruce's facebook page.

Disgracefully unprofessional, rude and childish. Incredibly so.

His connection with UMCA discredits the organisation.

Amazing that anyone could be bothered to read it.

« Reply #355 on: 19 January, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »

Disgracefully unprofessional, rude and childish. Incredibly so.

His connection with UMCA discredits the organisation.

Really?  Dont you know who he is? ;)

« Reply #356 on: 19 January, 2016, 05:08:56 pm »
I'd be pretty miffed if I was a Guinness record holder and someone came along claiming the same record without having done any of the groundwork to have it verified.
Did road.cc write an article on the current Monthly record holder? I wonder what the current status is of Bruce's Guinness Record? Claiming it without it actually being verified is a bit rich.

This applies to the year long attempt too.   Bruce seems to not have had a spot tracker and wont have his attempt verified by the UMCA, If he does more without verification and claims the record Kurt or Steve will be justifieably pissed off having spent time effort and money adhering properly to the rules. 

« Reply #357 on: 19 January, 2016, 05:16:40 pm »

Got a link? I can't see any on Bruce's page except for one from him saying "Looking good" on the 7th Jan.

Maybe it's because I'm not a FB friend of either of them...or did you mean the posts about Bruce on Hoppo's own FB page?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #358 on: 19 January, 2016, 05:23:41 pm »

Got a link? I can't see any on Bruce's page except for one from him saying "Looking good" on the 7th Jan.

Maybe it's because I'm not a FB friend of either of them...or did you mean the posts about Bruce on Hoppo's own FB page?

I think its the same posts, They were made on Hoppos page but linked Bruce so appear on his page too. First post was 17th Jan at 19:49

« Reply #359 on: 19 January, 2016, 05:31:54 pm »
Ah, right. I don't see them on Bruce's page but then there are a million FB related reasons why that could be.

As for the posts; some people just like to be the ones to break the news first.

« Reply #360 on: 19 January, 2016, 06:59:50 pm »
The excellent and generous sponsors (Shimano, Stages, Garmin, Continental, Canyon, Assos, sorry I have forgotten some I am sure) have provided product for him to use, but there is no money here.

Personally, I think that an unwillingness to conform to the rules of the only group out there willing to certify the record shows serious disrespect to this list of sponsors. Cyclists show disrespect to their sponsors here in the US all the time-- category racers wanting free or greatly reduced prices from companies to race with, as if their Cat 4 abilities should be supported by others. In this case, if all those companies gave him kit under the presumption that he would be doing the HAMR, then to make a cock-up of it in the first two weeks over something completely under his own control is childish and unprofessional. Who cares if you think the UMCA is stooopid for having their requirements? If companies gave you thousands of dollars worth of gear because you represented yourself as going for a record, then you conform to the rules even if they're below you. I'd ask for the kit back.

« Reply #361 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
ABSOLUTELY agree - give me a really expensive bike and I'll do x - oh I've managed to get disqualified just out of the start.....

Personally, I think that an unwillingness to conform to the rules of the only group out there willing to certify the record shows serious disrespect to this list of sponsors. Cyclists show disrespect to their sponsors here in the US all the time-- category racers wanting free or greatly reduced prices from companies to race with, as if their Cat 4 abilities should be supported by others. In this case, if all those companies gave him kit under the presumption that he would be doing the HAMR, then to make a cock-up of it in the first two weeks over something completely under his own control is childish and unprofessional. Who cares if you think the UMCA is stooopid for having their requirements? If companies gave you thousands of dollars worth of gear because you represented yourself as going for a record, then you conform to the rules even if they're below you. I'd ask for the kit back.
[/quote]
Old fat and slow

« Reply #362 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:33:04 pm »
Ah, right. I don't see them on Bruce's page but then there are a million FB related reasons why that could be.

It wasn't just his breaking the news, it was his response to people.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #363 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:50:49 pm »
ABSOLUTELY agree - give me a really expensive bike and I'll do x - oh I've managed to get disqualified just out of the start.....

My bold

I think it also shows disrespect to those who worked to re-insitute and  re-ignite interest in this massive endeavour and those who have legitimately undertaken it.

Not interested in this challenger anymore, which is a shame

LMT

« Reply #364 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

It wasn't just his breaking the news, it was his response to people.

Indeed, he did come across as a bit of a classless knob. I'd expect better from a crew chief TBH.

« Reply #365 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:22:50 pm »
I'd expect better from a crew chief TBH.

He served on the UMCA Board of Directors for seven and a half years, then continued service to UMCA as the Northern European Liaison and continues to perform that service to the present day.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #366 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »
Re Hoppo: I would have thought that being a UMCA official and Steve's Crew Chief would be a conflict of interest?

« Reply #367 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:06:11 pm »
Re Hoppo: I would have thought that being a UMCA official and Steve's Crew Chief would be a conflict of interest?

Were they associated before last year? I'm pretty sure the only time Hoppo rides is actually in competition; he proudly states that all his training is on the turbo (a position with which I can sympathise in this weather!), and I'm not aware of him ever having anything to do with Audax. I know it's a tangent, but how did he come to be associated with Steve's HAM'R attempt?

ISTR from last year that he was appointed by UMCA so that he could be their man on the ground, at quite a late stage in the process, possibly after Steve had started riding.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #368 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »
Ah yes, I remember you saying that now. So how can he be both the UMCA Official (which I read as Observer, from the rules) and at the same time be the Crew Chief? As I say, this to me seems like a conflict of interest, and I'm surprised the UMCA allows it.

« Reply #369 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:20:43 pm »
It wasn't me that said it, but anyway.

UMCA is run by volunteers, Hoppo is just the "Northern European Liaison" (whatever that is), and presumably he has no input on the validation/ratification of the record so no conflict of interest.

« Reply #370 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:29:40 pm »
Ah yes, I remember you saying that now. So how can he be both the UMCA Official (which I read as Observer, from the rules) and at the same time be the Crew Chief? As I say, this to me seems like a conflict of interest, and I'm surprised the UMCA allows it.
He claims to be on the board of directors as well.

Chris Hopkinson If you didn't know Craig McGregor, Shusanah Pillinger and myself are also on the Board of Directors of the UMCA! And i was also involved in getting the HAM'R started in the first place!!!!
I'm sure you will already know that though, as i'm sure you will have done your homework??!!!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #371 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:50:55 pm »
Hmm, not according to the UMCA themselves, but then it may have changed since this was published.

https://ultracycling.com/sections/awards/ucd/hoppo/

Even with his full schedule, Hoppo made time to serve ultracycling for many years. He served on the UMCA Board of Directors for seven and a half years, then continued service to UMCA as the Northern European Liaison and continues to perform that service to the present day. Congratulations to Chris Hopkinson, the newest recipient of the Ultra Cyclist of Distinction!

That page says "Updated March 2015" so he may have been on the board whilst HAMR was being set up (which must have happened prior to Jan 1st 2015) but left the board at a point after that.

Elsewhere the website lists him as a non-voting director: https://ultracycling.com/sections/contact/ so nothing is really clear. Does becoming a non-voting directory mean "leaving the board"?. No idea if that page is up to date as neither Craig nor Shusanah are listed as board members. (I recognise one other UK Audaxer's name on that contact page, interesting, didn't know that.)

Regardless, the UMCA themselves are quite aware of his positions (especially if they were involved in his appointment as Steve's Crew Chief) and don't seem to have a problem with it. If you're really concerned you could drop the Records Chairman or the Executive Director an email and see what they think.

« Reply #372 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:07:35 am »
Not interested in Bruce anymore. If he couldn't be bothered to adhere to the rules before he started what's the point? Surely a proportion of any record attempt is in the preparation before you even start? It's just a long bike ride and not a record attempt as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #373 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:28:50 am »
I'm still interested. He's still trying to cycle a very long way in a year, which I find mind boggling. The fact he's doing it with a likelihood of no official record makes it even more audacious.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #374 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:40:10 am »
I agree. I don't know what is involved in "Strava friends", or whatever the expression was, being used to ratify his distances, but if he is going out on his own, riding 220-ish miles and fixing his own bikes and preparing his own meals, as well as jetting around the world to keep up with the better weather, that's a tremendous achievement. He will have a record of his ride, quite simply because he is recording it, so that, in the literal sense, will be his "record", if his efforts continue to be as successful for the remaining 346 days. He is bound to hit snags though, and I find it hard to believe that he has the bloody-minded attitude that has kept Steve on the road against what most people perceive as being overwhelming odds. He's obviously a terrific cyclist though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.