Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 165320 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #775 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »
Useful contribution there, Whip!  I wish I knew what the position was with Bruce.  He's clearly an outstanding rider, but that is nowhere near enough to maintain a full year challenge, as you & Kurt proved.  Shit certainly does happen, and you got over Kurt being knocked off, bikes being damaged falling off the original rack, Kurt's heart and breathing problems etc etc.  I can't see how Kurt, capable though he is, could have managed those difficulties without you.
Getting there...

« Reply #776 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »
I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying Dave Barter's book The Year! :thumbsup:
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #777 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:22:13 pm »
You say that, but you've made the poor lad have to write a new chapter! ;)
Getting there...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #778 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:10:37 pm »

« Reply #779 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:52:28 pm »
I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying Dave Barter's book The Year! :thumbsup:

Likewise.  Reading about Godwin, especially after the record, makes me understand why his daughter calls him her hero.  There are other very engaging characters in there too.

« Reply #780 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:21:58 pm »

And get a new cover drawing done...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #781 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »
Sorry, I've been driving all day and want to go back a page or so to comment on record recognition.

A record is what people want to believe it is. Some 40-50 years ago, when I was a callow yoof and did quite a lot of fishing, the British Record Fish Committee put their heads together and decided that a lot of British records were so long ago and the circumstances surrounding the capture of said fish were so doubtful that they would scrap a lot of records and start again. One record which was sacrosanct was Dick Walker's 44lb carp. He caught it in 1952 in Herefordshire and transported it in a van to London Zoo, where it lived until 1971. Walker was a very well respected angler, writer and journalist and he had photographic evidence of the fish when freshly caught. However, no evidence existed that he caught it legally on rod & line. Everyone trusted him.

The irony was that the BRFC stated that for certain species the record was "open" to claims over a certain weight. Walker had well-documented evidence of having caught a number of fish above the so-called "record" but none of his previous captures were recognised - I don't think he wanted them to be.

One of the most ridiculous records to be discarded was John Garvin's 53lb pike, caught in an Irish lough in the early 20th century, along with the fact that it regurgitated a 10lb salmon before it was weighed. There is no question that pike of this size exist (the largest pike with strong evidence was a 72lber caught in Loch Ken some time in the 19th century).I think most pike anglers still accept Garvin's as the record, and also the "modern" record which is in the low 40s. I don't know what the "modern" record is now, although one holder was That Gareth Edwards.

I think it is unfortunate that Bruce has chosen not to fit in with the standards set by Steve & Kurt, but I do not doubt for one moment that he is doing the miles he claims. If he does beat Kurt's record with his very solo attempt without raising suspicions about his bona fides, then I think in years to come people will recognise his efforts, even though it is outside the auspices of any organisation other than Strava. However, we are only 4 weeks in. I would be very surprised, and even more impressed than I have already been by Steve and Kurt, if he can pull this off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #782 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »

And I have just finished it: a thoroughly good read.  People who wish to comment on the authenticity of the various attempts might do well to read the final paragraphs of Dave's book. 

I found just one small, technical error.  ;)

« Reply #783 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:46:01 pm »

And I have just finished it: a thoroughly good read.  People who wish to comment on the authenticity of the various attempts might do well to read the final paragraphs of Dave's book. 

I found just one small, technical error.  ;)

PBP frequency?

« Reply #784 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:05:12 am »

PBP frequency?

Ah, that might have been another.  No, the relative size of 27" and 700C.  It's complicated by the fact that you could be said to be right in a technical sense.

« Reply #785 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:10:15 am »
It's interesting to compare RAAM with the Transamerica Race. I was under the impression that RAAM was promoted by the UMCA, and that the Transamerica Race was a free-standing event. It turns out that the opposite is true. RAAM has been sold off as a separate entity, and the Transamerica Race is promoted by the Adventure Cycling Association. That organisation predates RAAM, and is more of a touring organisation. https://www.adventurecycling.org/about-us/

We went to see the film about the Transamerica when it was premiered at Sheffield in June. It was good, but it seemed to be mainly a comedy about one of the participants and a couple of Italian blokes. The presence of the film crew also made us wonder about the purity of the 'self-supporting' aspect. That's because of the positive impact of observation on performance, rather than any cheating.

I'm all in favour of making cycling as accessible as possible, and RAAM seems to erect a big capital barrier to entry. I can't see any reason to extend that barrier to other endeavours, so Bruce is doing something laudable in my book.

Perversely, I'd be even more impressed if I happened upon a report of someone who'd already beaten the record last year, but hadn't wanted to be seen as a show-off. I don't think that's possible in terms of motivation, you have to tell people you're doing something like this to tie yourself into it.

Technology has made it possible to observe these events in real time, and through video diaries, visible around the world, without apparent mediation. I say apparent, because obviously Strava and Youtube are the media involved.
I like that because there isn't a anyone to interpret what we're seeing, as things get altered for a mass audience.

How's Bruce doing by the way?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #786 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:42:22 am »
Sore legs, I believe from FB.
Getting there...

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #787 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:46:54 am »
sore knee comment on twitter (could be repeated on FB)
Picture of remedial cream, hasn't knee problems dogged him before

« Reply #788 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:52:20 am »
Both his LEJOGLE record attempts ended due to knee problems.

« Reply #789 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
We went to see the film about the Transamerica when it was premiered at Sheffield in June. It was good, but it seemed to be mainly a comedy about one of the participants and a couple of Italian blokes. The presence of the film crew also made us wonder about the purity of the 'self-supporting' aspect. That's because of the positive impact of observation on performance, rather than any cheating.

I kind of like this.  Taken to it's logical extreme, to be purely self supported one would have to maintain motivation despite not telling anyone of your endeavour.  At the end, your achievement is all your own and you keep it that way.  Hardcore rather than Web 2.0, certainly.

« Reply #790 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »

PBP frequency?

Ah, that might have been another.  No, the relative size of 27" and 700C.  It's complicated by the fact that you could be said to be right in a technical sense.

Yes another fella contacted me about that one. I think I need to reword it.

« Reply #791 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
There was a lad in our club who would ride up to Carlisle and back on his own. That's about 200 miles, I saw him just South Of Lancaster one day, I was doing a hedgelaying competition on the A6 verge and he was on his way back.

He'd had adult meningitis, and it made him a bit mercurial, and poor with detail. The club secretary despaired of him, as he was good at club 10s but couldn't be persuaded to enter open events.

He rode a local 200 Audax, that allowed entries on the line, with Bill Nickson. Bill thought it was weird that people were flogging themselves in February if they had no races lined up. Bill's a noted pro from the 80s, but likes to take off with a saddlebag for a Youth Hostel tour.

I need a definite date in my diary to do long rides, because I'm innately lazy. So I admire those with the 'get up and go' to just get up and go.

« Reply #792 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »

PBP frequency?

Yes another fella contacted me about that one. I think I need to reword it.

But that's mere detail.  It's a compulsive read.

« Reply #793 on: 29 January, 2016, 02:18:32 pm »
It's a complicated area, 27' sprint rims and tubs are the same diameter as 700c sprints and tubs. 27x1 1/4s wire-ons are bigger diameter, that's why the brakes of Record Ace's of that period have such long slots, to allow the use of either.

That's from a 1939 RRA with a 4 speed hub and a cyclometer in a museum in Vermont. Godwin mainly rode an Ivory model, but there's mention of a black one, which would have been like that, apart from the post-war brakes.

http://www.oldspokeshome.com/raleigh-record-ace-1939

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #794 on: 29 January, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #795 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:01:04 pm »
Quiet everyone! Now Matt's fallen asleep too! Let's put his hand in a bowl of lukewarm water and see if he wees himself.

« Reply #796 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »

...could turn into an annual.    ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #797 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »
27' rims?  The mind boggles...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime