Author Topic: Nearly to Stonehenge  (Read 1223 times)

Nearly to Stonehenge
« on: 25 May, 2016, 11:09:17 am »
Does anyone who is riding the above on 5th june have a gpx please?
thanks.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: Nearly to Stonehenge
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
I think is it https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4736186 hoping to ride this too
Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2016, 04:03:39 pm »
This is a cracking ride.  One I would love to do again as it is one of the prettiest rides around - lots of thatched cottages and lovely villages etc.  I will do it again sometime I have no doubt.  Highly recommended!

I've only got this from a couple of years ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/142836996
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:37:17 pm »
great -thanks both!

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:34:18 pm »
Also one of my favourites, despite only doing it once and quite a long time ago (2007) in one of its former guises.

Luckily my brother (who did it as his first Audax) now lives quite close so I just have to wait until it doesn't clash with the Ditchling Devil (can't pass up on a 200 that starts only a couple of miles from my house).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marzipan

• Empress of the Solent
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2016, 11:17:01 am »
Has there been any information sent out other than the routesheet that's attached to the AUK site?  I don't seem to have received anything via email, despite registering a couple of months ago.  It seems unusual.  I don't think I'm the only one either.

Vollerama

• Its just like you're flying.
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2016, 08:13:26 pm »
Hi Marzipan

I received an email from Nick Davidson shortly after entering where he directed me to the routesheet on the AUK site.  The GPX listed in the thread (above) seems to be accurate but other than that I have received no further info.  I live near Elstead so it's straightforward to get to for me.  Are you missing some info you think would be useful?  I might be able to assist.

Paul
--
Smokey, this is not 'Nam this is bowling.  There are rules.

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:16:06 am »
What a superb event! Even though I live a mile from Wimbledon Common I chose to ride the 200kms event with a few club mates. It is a super route, largely  on very quiet Hampshire Lanes -and including some of the roads from last week's Brimstone which was bit disorientating. V good stops and one of the best audaxes I have done. Some other club mates rode the 110km version and also sang praises of that route.
A big thank you to Nick and his extremely welcoming and friendly helpers.
If you have not done this think about it for next year -even if it clashes with the Ditchling Devil!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:47:29 am »
I class the lanes around Whitchurch, Wildhern, St Mary Bourne, The Chutes, Ludgershall and Amesbury as "my patch".

Sometimes it takes someone else's appreciation of the area to remind me how lucky I am to have it on my doorstep.

I find it incredible that our paths didn't cross yesterday as I was out with a local crew, all over that route.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:50:54 am »
how lucky you are .
Awesome is the only word to describe those lanes..............

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:55:17 am »
how lucky you are .
Awesome is the only word to describe those lanes..............

"Flinty" is another.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
Surprised there weren't more people on this event yesterday, I've not ridden in that area before except for bits of the Test valley and really enjoyed it. Cracking pace wih the SWRC guys to start, then they continued on while we waited for the first control to open so we could stop for coffee, then just caught saw then in Amesbury as they were loeaving the second control.

I love that scenic road just before you drop down into the Test vally on the return route.