Author Topic: Which maps for my Legend Cx?  (Read 2785 times)

richie_b

Which maps for my Legend Cx?
« on: 29 December, 2008, 10:47:29 pm »
Just been on Amazon, looking to spend the vouchers that folk have got me & have found this & this.
What's the difference?  Other than 7p....
I'm aware of the open source maps, but there's some big gaps round by me, so would prefer to buy in the short term.
Which product do I need?

Your help is appreciated

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Which maps for my Legend Cx?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 11:30:46 pm »
Mapsource GB Topo is not very good... (at least the version I have is not)
The paths and tracks displayed are incomplete and road routing is not usable. The only useful part of Topo GB is the ability to show elevation profiles. However, it does not calculate metres climbed or descended on a track. The software license from OS also only allows the display of a small central 640x480 part of the screen as a Topo map although there is a supposed workaround.
I would recommend using City Navigator and add in the free contour package from the Scottish Mountaineering Club. Generate a route with City Navigator, switch to Contours and count.... This gives a useful measure of metres climbed and correlates fairly well with the same exercise on OS maps.

richie_b

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 11:33:15 pm »
Thanks, Craig, I knew someone would be along soon with an answer!  When that answer is, "no, you want something cheaper," it's especially appreciated, cheers!
I presume that City Navigator will work with the Legend Cx...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »
Mapsource GB Topo is not very good... (at least the version I have is not)
The paths and tracks displayed are incomplete and road routing is not usable. The only useful part of Topo GB is the ability to show elevation profiles.

And offroad features (lakes and streams and sheeps and trees).  But the road stuff is borking useless.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2008, 04:31:53 pm »
TopoGB is good if you want proper off road - i.e. hillwalking, but City Navigator is substantially better for road cycling.
Note however that the cheaper SD card versions linked to earlier do not allow for use on the PC, and also do not allow backup in case of card corruption (eg when using the card for ride logging or custom points of interest). City Navigator on DVD is usually a fair bit more than on SD card, but GPSW seem to be selling it for £78 at present (an old version?)

« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »
City Navigator Europe is great, because it covers so much area with routable mapping data, and it has a very useful points of interest database.  Being able to search for train stations, hotels, cash machines, petrol stations, etc. is very *very* useful.  Stuff like hotels often have phone numbers too, so you can call to check for room availability, and then navigate there.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »
Stupid question - if you get City Navigator on a pre-loaded micro SD card, can you import those maps into MapSource to create routes on a PC?  MapSource only has a base map otherwise, which is crap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
I don't think so - which is why I bought mine on DVD.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:36:47 pm »
Stupid question - if you get City Navigator on a pre-loaded micro SD card, can you import those maps into MapSource to create routes on a PC?  MapSource only has a base map otherwise, which is crap.

Yes but it is a lot more complicated than just copying the .img file off the SD card.

I've never done it but I've seen various references to it whilst googling for mapsource related stuff. You basically use gmaptool to extract the individual components of the .img file off the device, and then use cGPSMapper to combine them all back into a mapset img file, this also generates a .bat (or .reg) file to add the appropriate registry entries for Mapsource.

I'm certain that Garmin don't endorse this method but I can't see any legal problems with it (as long as it is a legitimate City Navigator SD card in the first place).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:35:21 pm »
So just use bikely/Gmaps Pedometer to make gpx files?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.