Author Topic: Peppa pig nasties  (Read 1731 times)

Martin

Peppa pig nasties
« on: 27 March, 2017, 10:42:55 am »
can't believe this article; do parents seriously just leave their kids to search Youtube, and then complain at what they find???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39394624

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Peppa pig nasties
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2017, 10:54:34 am »
If my parents left me unattended with the internet, I wouldn't waste my time searching for Peppa Pig videos...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2017, 04:13:14 pm »
I suspect the scenario looks something like this:

-Harassed parent sticks an episode of Peppa on YouTube to be able to, I dunno, use the loo in peace.
-Small child clicks on some of the related video links a couple of times.
-The internet being what it is, three or four degrees of separation is more than enough to end up somewhere dodgy.

(I will confess to once having stopped my kids from following the link to a 'Peppa Pig discovers bacon!' animation while they were watching episodes on YouTube...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »
They'll be complaining about Arson Sam next...

Seriously.  The only way for this sort of thing to work is with a whitelist.  One that's been compiled with someone who  a) shares your definition of 'appropriate' when it comes to derivative works  and  b) is actually paying attention

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2017, 08:00:07 pm »
I know of primary aged kids who have smart tvs, internet-connected laptops, iPads with wifi and phones with wifi&data connection.  Some or all of these are in their bedrooms.  This seems like insanity to me.

My rule is that internet connected devices pretty much stay in "the room" i.e. shared family space.  Most parents seem surpirsed by this rule when it has come up in conversation.

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2017, 10:20:59 pm »
At the weekend I went searching for Yogi Bear vids for my granddaughters - first hit? Yogi Bear Rude Song - gosh!

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2017, 08:54:08 pm »
Is that the one with the line: "Yogi's got a cheesy knob, Camem- Camem-"? ' ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:07:25 pm »
If my parents left me unattended with the internet, I wouldn't waste my time searching for Peppa Pig videos...

I think the OP (having looked into it) was more to do with the YouTube Kids App and its limitations (rather than allowing unlimited internet access) but agree with the posts downthread

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:31:12 am »
Is that the one with the line: "Yogi's got a cheesy knob, Camem- Camem-"? ' ;D
How would I know? I turned it off in disgust after the first three minutes.

Yes.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2017, 05:55:43 pm »
I'm still in therapy from seeing this episode of Rainbow on the Internet in 1975.

https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

When I described the Internet to the Doctors they banged me up in Broadmoor for 40 years until they realised I HAD been telling the truth about the future after all.

Luckily we can all see the funny side of it now.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.