Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 281976 times)

red marley

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2250 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:33:06 am »
Assuming the Doctor regenerates randomly into human form, equally male or female, the probability that there should be 13 male doctors in a row:

0.513 = 0.012% = 1 in 8192.

rr

« Reply #2251 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:07:44 am »
Assuming the Doctor regenerates randomly into human form, equally male or female, the probability that there should be 13 male doctors in a row:

0.513 = 0.012% = 1 in 8192.
But, of course, the probability that the next doctor is also male = 0.5

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2252 on: 17 April, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »
He'll always be the idiot from the BT adverts as far as I'm concerned.

By the time he was in the BT adverts, he was already known as the idiot from My Family. Or "The New Nicholas Lyndhurst".

Btw, I thought this week's episode was shite. Yes, I know "it's for kids" and I'm taking it too seriously blah blah blah, but I found it really dull, even by the standard of recent series.

The new sidekick is promising though. Hope she gets some better material to work with in the rest of the series.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2253 on: 19 April, 2017, 09:12:23 am »
He'll always be the idiot from the BT adverts as far as I'm concerned.

By the time he was in the BT adverts, he was already known as the idiot from My Family. Or "The New Nicholas Lyndhurst".
Ha! Yup, a fair appraisal.

Although I suspect it's his "detective in the Carribean" recent TV role - of which I've never watched more than 2 minutes - that would have set him up for Who. If anything has. He might not be awful, you never know ...

Btw, I thought this week's episode was shite. Yes, I know "it's for kids" and I'm taking it too seriously blah blah blah, but I found it really dull, even by the standard of recent series.

The new sidekick is promising though. Hope she gets some better material to work with in the rest of the series.

I enjoyed it. A lot more laid-back than the last few years of shows. New gurl wins "least annoying debut by sidekick" award comfortably.

I am cautiously optimistic ... [but please don't get me going on the unnecessary background music over every f**king second of the programme ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2254 on: 19 April, 2017, 11:35:40 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) will watch anything with coppers and the chance of killin's in it, hence I was exposed to the odd episode of "Detective In A Wheelbarrow The Caribbean" by accident.  Mr Marshall appeared to play an idiot.  I am beginning to sense a theme here.  I am no Doctor Wossname aficionado but cannot help but feel he didn't orter be the kind of chap to lose a battle of wits with a potato.

If they cast Kathy Burke as the Doctor I might start watching it again.  If they cast Olivia Colman as the Doctor I'd have to start watching it again, which would be a tad ironic since it was David Tennant that made me stop.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2255 on: 13 May, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »
That was pretty good and silly. The idea that you have to pay for breathing and you measure in breath is pretty cool.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2256 on: 13 May, 2017, 09:46:26 pm »
Marriott hotels have been doing that for years :hand:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2257 on: 14 May, 2017, 12:20:45 pm »
I'm quite enjoying the current series, although I wish they'd explain what the "thing" behind the door is, that's getting a bit irritating.

I quite like Capaldi's Doctor, he seems to have evolved to be quite different from some of the earlier Doctors, and his dynamic with Nardole can be amusing.  I'm not sure about Bill yet, she's still at the "gormless assistant" stage, but she does certainly seem to be a bit different, so far.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2258 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:37:54 am »
I'm quite enjoying the current series, although I wish they'd explain what the "thing" behind the door is, that's getting a bit irritating.

I think it might be the Master/Mistress.

« Reply #2259 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:57:45 pm »
I think it might be the Master/Mistress.

I hope not, that would be a bit too predictable.  I'm fairly sure we've seen Missy in teasers for this series, so we know she's back at some point, if she turns out to be "behind the door", it's not going to be very exciting.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2260 on: 18 May, 2017, 06:29:47 am »
They like an appearance by the "classic" monsters in Who. So every week that goes by without
(click to show/hide)

appearing makes me suspect that one of them is behind that door.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2261 on: 21 May, 2017, 12:52:28 pm »
Extremis episode spoiler ...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2262 on: 21 May, 2017, 01:52:09 pm »
Does anyone know Italian well enough, to know what the Pope says, when he comes out of Bill's bathroom?

What he says later on, according to Google Translate, is very close to the cardinal's translation, but I can't take dictation in Italian, and the subtitles don't include that bit !

I guess it's not terribly important, but I'm always curious to know what programme makers include, in such situations.  It's not quite a translation, but I'm always very amused that in the Red Dwarf episode, Backwards, one of the reversed sections is "I'm addressing the one prat in the country who has bothered to get a hold of this recording, turn it round and actually work out the rubbish that I'm saying. What a poor sad life he's got!".  I just cut and pasted that, from Wikipedia, I couldn't be bothered to reverse it myself, but they didn't foresee the Internet, and the profligation of such information. :D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2263 on: 21 May, 2017, 06:44:47 pm »
I don't understand why the TARDIS didn't translate the pope.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2264 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:10:12 pm »

Maybe it did, for the Doctor and Bill, but they're not obliged to provide us with that translation!  Just because the cardinal chose to translate the Pope's speech, it doesn't mean he had to, he may just have been unaware that Bill and the Doctor didn't need it.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2265 on: 22 May, 2017, 09:15:58 am »
I do find the reliance on dark sets in the current series a little annoying...  the lighting is really poorly done.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2266 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:40:05 pm »

Interestingly, Steven Moffat said this:

Moffat: Well, the scenes just worked better with the Pope speaking Italian and being translated. I did write in the Doctor saying he didn’t really need the translation, and Nardole suggesting that he play along out of courtesy – but it glitched the scene, so I lost it in the edit. In fairness, the Doctor’s translation ability has wobbled before, so it’s just having another off moment. ...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2267 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:07:22 pm »
Bill's eyebrows are annoying me. I don't get this trend for making them so thick they look like strips of gaffer tape instead of hairs.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2268 on: 07 June, 2017, 06:35:59 pm »
Due to Holibobs, we've watched all 3 "Monk" episodes in very quick succession. Bloody great!

Am I the only one thinking of it as a "3-parter"? If it is, it's neat that they have 3 different writing teams.

It's almost like Moffat has gotten someone to explain sci-fi plotting to him. Whatever next??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2269 on: 10 June, 2017, 09:32:34 pm »
Hmm I do like Bill and Ted erm Doctor together, she is a much better side kick than the last one. And I still think that he is a good pick for a doctor, sadly the scripting is just missing something. That said I'm still glued to the telly box every week.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2270 on: 01 July, 2017, 09:54:50 pm »
well that a tribute !!!

so who is the next who?

at least for once I'm looking forward to crimbo

« Reply #2271 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:09:40 pm »
Interesting that we've more or less lost the Doctor and his Companion, at the same time.  We seem to have had Bill for a very short duration, when I was just starting to get used to her !  Of course, they could still play silly buggers and bring her back, but that seems unlikely.

There was a slight allusion to the Doctor potentially being female, not that this would be unexpected after having a female Master.

The Christmas episode should certainly be interesting, given the spoiler at the end of tonight's episode. :)

« Reply #2272 on: 02 July, 2017, 12:53:58 am »
Next Dr Who...there can be only one:-

Dr Donna
Nuns, no sense of humour

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2273 on: 14 July, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/885907569696440320

#13 will be known after the tennis final on Sunday ...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2274 on: 16 July, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »
Ok get a move on crimbo so we can get to watch an episode with Jodie!