Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 119926 times)

Martin

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #575 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:42:28 pm »
When does Amanda's year finish? I though it was the 23rd

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #576 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:52:56 pm »
This is the 100,000.
Getting there...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #577 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:05:07 pm »
To answer the above in reverse order:

When does Amanda's year finish? I though it was the 23rd
It has finished, the 14th was day 365 she is now continuing to take the 100,000 mile record.

... 130.2

I'd guess that the 275 was "seen the weather forecast for tomorrow" mileage
Amanda has 20 days over 275 miles to her credit, I would say it was more 'back up to speed'.  Speed is the wrong word, she didn't slow at all.  The reverse actually, she took a short day to QoM pretty much everything in Flatwoods after completing the year.  She took a few other short days too (rest? Does she know the meaning of the word?).  She then ramped up to her usual time in the saddle coincidently the day before it got a tad breezy.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Martin

« Reply #578 on: 26 May, 2017, 12:26:19 am »
This is the 100,000.

ok; I was just following the HAMR (as in A) link

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #579 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:28:58 am »
Amanda just rode 400 miles in a day. Started at midnight, finished at 9pm.  :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #580 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:14:01 am »
Good grief :o  Just as you think she's nearly finished mucking with your head she does that.  She's a machine.

She had slipped a bit since the end of the year, the projection at year pace had her completing on day 418.  Hurricane season and the odd spot of sanity in her schedule had seen that slip just into day 422.  If she's intending to keep that advantage rather than just do it to muck with our heads some more and recover with lower days after that will put her back into day 421. If she can keep big efforts going with her ability you can't rule day 420 out even at this late stage.  Think about that - fitting an extra 240 or so miles into 6 days rather than taking a 7th.

Go Amanda!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #581 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:44:10 am »
I saw the posting about the 400-miler.

Just when I thought she was winding down a bit (she's been posting about taking it easy, that this is more of a holiday)!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #582 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:36:12 am »
Her last day today then.  227 to go to reach 100,000 miles in 423 days.  Respect.

Wonder what she will do tomorrow?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #583 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:26:42 am »
I bet she goes for a bike ride.

« Reply #584 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:38:37 am »
Her last day today then.  227 to go to reach 100,000 miles in 423 days.  Respect.

Wonder what she will do tomorrow?
Lie in bed

According to one interview, she is a 'normal lazy 20-something who doesn't like getting up early and would prefer to lie in bed until midday'.

riiight.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #585 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:44:22 am »

A recovery ride is often recommended after a tough event   ;)

It will be fascinating to see what Amanda does next.  I don't think this will be the last we hear of her.
The sound of one pannier flapping

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #586 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
I don't think so either.  She has a prodigious talent, and is very young still.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #587 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »

It will be fascinating to see what Amanda does next.  I don't think this will be the last we hear of her.

Given that she has been riding pretty much flat out for 400 days and more, how long should the recovery ride last?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #588 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »

Given that she has been riding pretty much flat out for 400 days and more, how long should the recovery ride last?
We humans are creatures of habit and we like to know where we are and what we do next. Some take this repetition a long way and some to really incredible lengths.

It will take some time to settle into a new pattern, when people retire it can take them a couple of years to get use to the change. Amanda is younger and it will not take as long, but it will take a while.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #589 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »

...to the moon!

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #590 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »
238,000 miles?  Yeah, why not.

« Reply #591 on: 12 July, 2017, 08:31:44 am »
Well, that's another record knocked off.  Well done Amanda!

Steve should be proud.  Without his efforts and vision Kurt most likely wouldn't have been inspired to take on the year, and without Kurt's encouragement Amanda may not have attempted the year and 100,000.  Just shows how our actions can impact on others in unforeseen ways sometimes.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #592 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »
Well, that's another record knocked off.  Well done Amanda!

Steve should be proud.  Without his efforts and vision Kurt most likely wouldn't have been inspired to take on the year, and without Kurt's encouragement Amanda may not have attempted the year and 100,000.  Just shows how our actions can impact on others in unforeseen ways sometimes.

I have absolutely no doubt that without Steve resurrecting this, Tommy Godwin would still be the record holder. That doesn't detract from the others' achievements, but it does set a marker of what a first rate cycling visionary Steve is, not to mention a world-class distance cyclist and a thoroughly decent bloke (bad puns notwithstanding!).

« Reply #593 on: 08 September, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »

Amanda entered her first time trial since completing the year/100k mile records last night and did extremely well. She won the women's division and also set a new women's record on the 15k Fort Desoto course completing it in 21.07 at 26.5 mph avg.

« Reply #594 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:36:49 am »

Training on a turbo trainer in a disney hotel bedroom in Florida. It's a tad too windy outside for cycling.
Hotel room is too small to fit easily fit in the turbo trainer, so it is wedged through the bathroom door.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #595 on: 23 October, 2021, 12:38:22 pm »
Bit of thread resurrection!  but jus posted on facebook by the World Ultracycling association:

Amanda Coker is about to become the 1st woman to break the 500 miles barrier for 24-hours, solo. She is currently at 492 miles with over an hour left