Author Topic: Cycling with Man Flu?  (Read 2929 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Cycling with Man Flu?
« on: 24 April, 2008, 06:54:33 am »
Typical, the weekend is looming and it looks like half decent weather is on the cards.

I have been stricken with Man Flu a stinking cold and my throat is like a turkey's bum in a blizzard.  ::-)

So, should I carry on regardless and stop being a wimp, opt for a modest mini pootle or stay off the bike entirely and get on with doing the gardening to accrue spouse points to be redeemed when I feel less rough?

What does the team think?

annie

Re: Cycling with Man Flu?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 07:27:22 am »
I speak from experience here, rest, eat and drink and potter around the garden, be kind to your body and allow it to heal and regain strength.  Gaining brownie points early in the year has to be a bonus.

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:56:33 am »
Usual warnings about exercise whilst virus-infected apply: it's dangerous, so don't.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:00:45 am »
+1 to 'don't ride' advice.

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:45:41 am »
Google for (the quotes are important): exercise "below the neck"

If you've got any symptoms below the neck then, as Ian says, avoid ANY exercise at all costs. You'll only exacerbate the symptoms, the extreme of which can be a heart attack (even in otherwise healthy individuals).

If the symptoms are above the neck only, they still advise rest or "light exercise". I'd class pottering around the garden as "light exercise".

Even the gentlest of pootles out on the bike is more than "light exercise" and should be avoided.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:45:43 am »
I've cancelled my appointments for today. I feel bloody lousy. Full of cold, arthritic, I feel about 100 years old. In fact, rounding to the nearest, I am 100 years old.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:40:46 am »
I've cancelled my appointments for today. I feel bloody lousy. Full of cold, arthritic, I feel about 100 years old. In fact, rounding to the nearest, I am 100 years old.

:-* :-* :-*

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:21:17 pm »
Just when I thought I had recovered from this nasty illness which kept me off my bike for 2-weeks in April, I have now gone down with a cold with nose running like a tap. 

The Wiggy 300 on Saturday is now obviously out of the question.  March and April were 2-months that have been absolutely disastrous this year.  Can it get any worse?

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:24:46 pm »
  Can it get any worse?

Oh yes, believe me it can.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »
Got a touch of man flu myself sore throat, head feels like its in a vice silly nagging cough .UGH :hand: