Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 288013 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #375 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:25:30 am »
Unusual registration number
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #376 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »

A perfect place to use the thing I've never got round to having made:

a roll of very sticky sticky tape, printed with a bike tyre tread pattern. When you find a vehicle blocking the way like that, or parked on a cycle lane, it's a quick up and over job down the middle from front to back....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #377 on: 06 May, 2013, 11:25:04 pm »
Also, is there a thread for people who position bins like fuds?

If there was, I'd submit Quinton Tesco:  Two sets of Tesco Value toast-rack-style bolt-down Sheffield stands, adjacent to a bench which makes it the de-facto smoking area (see various FNRttS threads on the smoking habits of Tesco employees).  There's a bin with built-in ash tray[1] that is free to move, and tends to migrate to the area in front of the bike stands.  It's surprisingly hard to kick a heavy bin out of the way while wearing cycling shoes.

[1] Not that this means the area isn't littered with cigarette ends, of course

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #378 on: 08 May, 2013, 10:18:53 pm »
I'd submit Whitehaven Lidl. 4 wheelbenders rendered even more useless than normal by a grit bin against the wall behind them meaning that anything bigger than a 12" kids bike won't fit :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #379 on: 09 May, 2013, 11:34:36 am »
At my gym the wheelbenders are positioned the exact correct distance from the wall for parking your bike behind them  :thumbsup:.
Some fud1, however, keeps parking his GBFO Range Rover right tight next to them so you can't wheel your bike behind them. There's a car park for cars, why can't he put it there?

1: I think it's the early morning employee, it's there every day he is.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #380 on: 11 May, 2013, 06:38:55 pm »
Talence, Bordeaux — Août 2012.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #381 on: 11 May, 2013, 08:56:47 pm »
... and another one in Bordeaux  - a month earlier than Andrij's

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #382 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
At my gym the wheelbenders are positioned the exact correct distance from the wall for parking your bike behind them  :thumbsup:.
Some fud1, however, keeps parking his GBFO Range Rover right tight next to them so you can't wheel your bike behind them. There's a car park for cars, why can't he put it there?

1: I think it's the early morning employee, it's there every day he is.

Then you wander in mouthing off to the culprit 'Some F**&&^&** has gone and parked their waggon where it blocks the bike racks. Can you find out which idiot it is and point them in the direction of elsewhere?'.

He never need know that you know it is him, and he will think he is in your good books by sorting the problem out speedily (if he is smart, that is).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #383 on: 20 May, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »

IMG_0645[1] by madcow99, on Flickr

another Smart arse- somewhere between Murrayfield and Princes St.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #385 on: 22 May, 2013, 06:52:37 am »
An odd thing to happen.  Was he heading for the off license section?
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #386 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:06:46 pm »
This morning on CS3 (Cable Street, London, facing West).  I have written to J B Riney & Co Ltd and supplied them with the photograph.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #387 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
What's that small black and gold bollard thing between the cyclist and the truck?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #388 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:17:55 pm »
Black & white, actually, but rusty.  For motor vehicle, that's a one-way street, coming towards the viewer.  To road rises up to the level of the pavement there, allowing cyclist to follow CS3 from the north side of the street to the south (and vice versa).  Assume the bollard is there to stop cars driving onto the cycle path.  But as you can see elsewhere in this thread, they still do it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #389 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
It's such an odd shape though!

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #390 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »
Streetview, from other side.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #391 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »
Why don't most places have such fancy bollards?  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #392 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:02:17 pm »

I sense the making of a new thread...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #393 on: 22 May, 2013, 02:05:11 pm »

I sense the making of a new thread...
I remember a flatmate of a couple decades ago, newly arrived in Bath from (can't remember where) talking without irony or innuendo about the city's "wonderful knobends".  :D

« Reply #394 on: 22 May, 2013, 03:44:21 pm »
This morning on CS3 (Cable Street, London, facing West).  I have written to J B Riney & Co Ltd and supplied them with the photograph.

Doesn't that license plate say 'GNOB'? 

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #395 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »

I'm (seriously) curious, what would you rather the truck did? Assuming that they are there to carry out works (seems reasonable assumption?)  they could either (a) block the road completely - that would need a traffic order I think, and lead to substantial chaos as there is no room to turn. The road would need to be blocked from the end and from each of the feeder roads. (b) block the cycle path completely, parking squarely in that (c) block pedestrians completely (d) choose to stop half in each of an area of pedestrians and cycles, both of which are reasonably able to circumnavigate the obstruction.

Is option (e) to carry out the works at night, paying overtime etc? Have I missed something?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #396 on: 23 May, 2013, 12:21:37 am »
Place appropriate signage and someone to control traffic?
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #397 on: 23 May, 2013, 06:41:08 am »
Or park on one of the side streets just out of shot.

« Reply #398 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:03:24 am »
Hmmmm, that's as may be. Speculating (as ever) but, without any sign of the works, and with the driver in the cab, they are either setting up or pulling out. In either event I don't think it is unreasonable for roadworks to load and unload on the site.

As an obstruction, it's a fairly minor one, you have good sight of the oncoming traffic and it is at the cross over point. Bikes get by, pedestrians get by. Setting up traffic control ("Cyclists dismount" anyone?)  would be far more of a pain for something that's not blocking anyone's progress, or endangering anyone.

Just think you may have been a little hasty jumping to indignation in this instance.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #399 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:35:30 am »
Driver was in cab, coworker was across the road measuring something.  They were parked up for the day's work, as evidenced by the various bits of pavement cordoned off when I cycled through in the evening.  (Shocked the cycled lane hadn't been blocked off, as usually happens on that bit of CS3.)

That cross-over point is dodgy, to say the least, at the best of times.  Parking a vehicle on part of it, regardless of "you can still get around it" is just too much.  Cyclists heading the direction I was are endagered.  Oncoming motor traffic cannot see the cyclists coming towards them to cross the road unless/until the cyslists are in the oncoming cycle lane.

Most fud parking is amusing or at best annoying.  But this one, IMO, is dangerous.  And I also think it reflects the attitude towards pedestrians and cyclists.