Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019  (Read 30129 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:10:31 am »
That's why I always take my own.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:33:15 pm »
I think you'll find Dunwich is a perfectly sensible place to ride to. The problem is that London is a perfectly awful place to get a bike to.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2019, 04:21:57 pm »
I find it very easy to put a bike on a train and take it to London.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:44:44 pm »
In the good old days (2005 was my first one) you could wander into the feeding station at 1am and get a coffee with no waiting.  It was at Monks Eleigh that year. More remarkably, you could rock up to the beach at 0630, get served immediately at the cafe, and find a free table.  In 2012 there was a half-hour queue before 0430.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:02:32 pm »
I think I'll stick with Dunwich wow. We keep talking about it at work as one of my colleagues lives 20 minutes from Dunwich so have the offer of food and a bed

rogerzilla

« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:04:39 pm »
I'm seriously considering retiring to Saxmundham* just to make the Dun Run easier  ;D

*cheaper and less prone to flooding than the coastal towns, and has a 'Trose and a railway station

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
And you would be inundated by YACFers wanting somewhere to kip until the trains started taking bikes again...

And very close to My Mate Terry, who art a short distance away in Sibton.

« Reply #32 on: 25 January, 2019, 02:37:29 pm »
I'm seriously considering retiring to Saxmundham* just to make the Dun Run easier  ;D

*cheaper and less prone to flooding than the coastal towns, and has a 'Trose and a railway station

I have a friend who lives on the green just at the entrance to Dunwich Heath, I know have the most incredible cooked breakfasts every year!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #33 on: 26 January, 2019, 08:11:09 am »
One year, a guy who had only just joined the forum invited 11 would-be beach campers to sleep on the floor of his parents’ bungalow in Westleton, to avoid the torrential rain that started about lunchtime on the Sunday. I don’t know that he has been back.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #34 on: 26 January, 2019, 01:26:28 pm »
What's the deal with the train operator and folders? I was thinking of doing this on a Brompton to avoid the all nonsense of having to find a ride back with a bike...

Trains from Diss to London any good? A bit more of a slog, but worthwhile if it avoids the hassle

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #35 on: 26 January, 2019, 07:05:35 pm »
No bikes *at all* including folders** on the East Suffolk line (Ipswich - Lowestoft) and Lowestoft - Norwich last year. There were 50 bikes per train (once per hour) from Ipswich to London  - 2019 is probably the last year for this service, as the new stock arriving later this year doesn't have a separate brake/luggage van.

As far as Diss is concerned, I *think* it was the usual number of bikes per train like normal. (Well, as normal as Anglia ever gets!)

If I go again this year (4th time in 5 years) I will undoubtedly do what I have done the previous 3 times and head on to Sheringham YHA as a 300km DIYxGPS. This entails a relatively early start (by Dun Run standards) to keep the latest possible finish time before the hostel closing time, but means that I don't have to worry about getting back to London!

** This was a new restriction brought in in 2018, the non-folding bike restrictions have been in place for several years.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

rogerzilla

« Reply #36 on: 26 January, 2019, 07:52:45 pm »
Good to see the train companies stepping up to the plate there  ::-)

Given that around 3000 people are expected to ride, a very small number will ride back, and Southwark Cyclists only reckon to shift 1000 people, that's a lot of cars turning up at the beach.  I think the late Barry Mason used to lament this situation.  It's become a monster.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #37 on: 27 January, 2019, 10:29:34 am »
If Dez comes to meet me this year I shall ensure that he does so at Minsmere, where he can plug the car in and either wait in the tea room or wander round the nature reserve.

rogerzilla

« Reply #38 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:50:17 pm »
He'll need to be there at 4am to get a seat in the tea room  ::-)

« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:59:45 pm »
Given that around 3000 people are expected to ride, a very small number will ride back, and Southwark Cyclists only reckon to shift 1000 people, that's a lot of cars turning up at the beach.  I think the late Barry Mason used to lament this situation.  It's become a monster.
I don't think there's *that* many people who don't get either the Ipswich train or the Southwark cyclists coach (or one of the various other coaches/vans). There's certainly not 2000 cars waiting at Dunwich Beach.

Three or four years back they tried putting on extra trains from Darsham for cyclists only with as many bikes as they could carry. Apparently it was a crowd control nightmare with people trying to force their way onto the normal service trains and queuing across the level crossing.

For a couple of years they allowed folding bikes onto the Darsham trains, but I understand there were one too many chancers claiming their bike was a folding one and getting arsey when refused.

I don't think the tea room up the road ever gets particularly crowded. The beach café doesn't serve anything worth going in for.

rogerzilla

« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:43:50 pm »
Was there any aggro last year?  In 2017 a group of riders was felled by chavs pushing an old MTB out into the road, and someone was knocked off by a car (not seriously, but couldn't continue).  Plus reports of stuff being thrown at riders (although Great Dunmow has had reports of occasional stone-throwing yoofs for years, and I've never seen any).

I really wouldn't want to ride in the main pack; there's not as much sport for the mouth-breathers in picking off riders earlier on, when they're more sparse.

« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:56:08 pm »
None that I'm aware of. It was somewhat overshadowed by two separate people needing CPR at the roadside, one of whom died.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #42 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:48:23 pm »

What, at Minsmere?

rogerzilla

« Reply #43 on: 30 January, 2019, 08:31:39 pm »
Have the cyclists found that one yet?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #44 on: 30 January, 2019, 08:49:15 pm »
Probably not. I can't remember if you can get to the café without a membership card. I think you can - Jane and I had an 11ses stop there when we cycled back from Dunwich to Southend over 2 days.

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 30 January, 2019, 08:59:36 pm »
Their website says you might see a bearded tit at Minsmere  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
Their website says you might see a bearded tit at Minsmere  ;D

A couple of years ago we went to Minsmere with My Mate Terry Who Art in Sibton, who is a shit-hot ornithologist. He and I were watching some reeds and getting the occasional sighting of bearded tits. His wife Janet made precisely the same joke as yourself, Mr. Zilla.

rogerzilla

« Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:22:37 pm »
There is nothing new under the sun  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #48 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:33:19 am »
SO basically this was a ride to join 10 years ago and right now it's more hassle than it's worth...  ::-)

rogerzilla

« Reply #49 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:54:39 am »
That's about the size of it.  Of course, some people are attracted by the huge numbers.