Author Topic: Today I am Listening To...  (Read 775723 times)

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
Re: Today I am Listening To...
« Reply #275 on: 24 September, 2008, 10:42:26 am »
Portico Quartet, Knee deep in the North Sea........nice.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Dave

« Reply #276 on: 24 September, 2008, 06:48:37 pm »
Morphine, to celebrate what would have been Mark Sandman's birthday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnGxASoXn0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnGxASoXn0&rel=1</a>

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #277 on: 24 September, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »
Morphine, to celebrate what would have been Mark Sandman's birthday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnGxASoXn0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnGxASoXn0&rel=1</a>

Ah, wonderful.

We generally play that one and Buena at gigs.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #278 on: 24 September, 2008, 09:15:22 pm »
Just been listening to Gary Numan - Replicas. I haven't heard this album for about 28 years, but I could still remember a lot of the words. I wish my memory was good for something useful though.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #279 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:12:13 pm »
Howard Jones - New Song, because that's what Jeremy Vine is playing in his "I have to play a song that's sort of the same sort of theme as what I've just been pontificating about" way. I'm chair-dancing. Later on I will either be listening to ABBA or the Beach Boys - I haven't decided yet.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #280 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »
Rush - 2112, and right now, a Def Leppard greatest hits compliation.  :D

From the sublime to the faintly cheesy but rather enjoyable.

Mind you, it was hair metal and radical garage rock last night c/o Skid Row and the MC5...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #281 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:38:11 pm »
Currently listening to bits of Beatles on Youtube.

The White Album really was a rather good album, though Butterfly feels that 'Wild Honey Pie' and 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?' could have done with a few more lyrics
Getting there...

« Reply #282 on: 02 October, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
Dream Theater -- Scenes from a Memory
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #283 on: 02 October, 2008, 11:42:05 am »
My listening for the next few days will be the new albums by the mighty Mogwai, The Aliens, Fujiya and Miyagi, and James Yorkston. Luckily the Travis album that my wife wanted was not in stock yet!  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #284 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
A Johnny Cash compilation.  After all the boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom stuff, there are some of his famous cover versions.  "Hurt" is well-known, but his version of U2's "One" is my favourite.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #285 on: 02 October, 2008, 03:45:10 pm »
Biffy Clyro - Puzzle, just on "Now I'm Everyone"

FANTASTIC...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #286 on: 02 October, 2008, 05:22:54 pm »
Clutch - Robot hive/Exodus

« Reply #287 on: 02 October, 2008, 11:06:25 pm »
YouTube - James Yuill - This Sweet Love

I'm liking this folktronic stuff these days.

Mind you, I was liking Metallica a lot last weekend.  Such is life :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #288 on: 03 October, 2008, 03:41:23 pm »
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #289 on: 03 October, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
Mind you, I was liking Metallica a lot last weekend.  Such is life :thumbsup:

Ahhh!  :thumbsup:

Listening to Dragonforce today.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #290 on: 03 October, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »
My listening for the next few days will be the new albums by the mighty Mogwai, The Aliens, Fujiya and Miyagi, and James Yorkston. Luckily the Travis album that my wife wanted was not in stock yet!  ;)

The Fujiya & Miyagi one is pretty decent, although I think the overall quality has reduced with each of the 3 albums released so far (the track 'Rot' on the MySpace link is from the first album). Then again, maybe that's just 'cos I'm more familiar with the spoken vocal & lyrical style now & it doesn't appear so fresh now rather than there being any real quality drop  :-\

Or maybe I'm just being supercool/pretentious in an 'I saw them first' style ;D

Just listening to Rob da Bank from 22/09 with Mogwai in session too  :thumbsup:

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

alan

« Reply #291 on: 03 October, 2008, 07:54:24 pm »
Tom Jones:Greatest Hits

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #292 on: 04 October, 2008, 12:34:16 pm »
The Fujiya & Miyagi one is pretty decent, although I think the overall quality has reduced with each of the 3 albums released so far (the track 'Rot' on the MySpace link is from the first album). Then again, maybe that's just 'cos I'm more familiar with the spoken vocal & lyrical style now & it doesn't appear so fresh now rather than there being any real quality drop  :-\

I am underwhelmed to be honest. The new album is pleasant and undemanding enough but it is like listening to a bloodless imitation of Can (not Kraftwerk as everyone always says). It also reminds that a few years ago there was a British band called Appliance who did this kind of thing with so much more dynamism. I miss Appliance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #293 on: 04 October, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »
Ahem.

"More ABBA Gold".

:-[

There are some classics on there I'd forgotten, like "The Day Before You Came".  And Agnetha is pretty hot in the sleeve photos  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #294 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:16:58 am »

I am underwhelmed to be honest. The new album is pleasant and undemanding enough but it is like listening to a bloodless imitation of Can (not Kraftwerk as everyone always says). It also reminds that a few years ago there was a British band called Appliance who did this kind of thing with so much more dynamism. I miss Appliance.

Ah! I keep seeing Appliance cds in my local s/h shop and have never given them a try. So a recommendation is good  :thumbsup:

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #295 on: 05 October, 2008, 01:11:42 pm »
Currently listening to Sinead O'Connor, "Am I Not Your Girl".  Her album of jazz / torch covers.  A lovely voice.

Last night I spent a very pleasant 2 hours listening to Joe Stilgoe (Richard's son) at the Rodewald Suite in Liverpool. He's a excellent pianist and played a mix of his own songs and old favourites.  I  enjoyed it so much I bought the CD he was selling.  :: JOE STILGOE ::
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #296 on: 05 October, 2008, 05:12:43 pm »
Ah! I keep seeing Appliance cds in my local s/h shop and have never given them a try. So a recommendation is good  :thumbsup:

All three of their albums are good, but it's their first one, Manual, that I go back to more often. In some ways it is their most naive, where they wear their influences most on their sleeves, but the krautrock, analogue warmth is lovely.

The of course there is Stereolab... but I am sure no-one needs telling how good they are.

« Reply #297 on: 06 October, 2008, 08:33:05 am »
More Metallica yesterday. This latest album is good. It even got Baby G's vote.  :P

« Reply #298 on: 12 October, 2008, 02:25:49 pm »
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor.  This sort of broken electronica suits overcast days. 

« Reply #299 on: 12 October, 2008, 03:50:56 pm »
My boss has got me into Alabama 3.  Amazing.  A mix of country rap drum and bass.  Amazing.  And from Scotland too !!