Poll

Do you like many foodstuffs that stuffy food snobs would look down their noses at?

No, I have sophisticated tastes, don't you know.
Yes, and I'm proud of it.
Yes, but I keep quiet about it.

Author Topic: Do you like naff food?  (Read 26499 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Do you like naff food?
« Reply #175 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »
I can't do any exercise so have had to restrict most energy-dense food.

David did ask for crispy pancakes at one point.
They weren't on the local Sainsbury's website so we didn't get any. I don't know if they're still made/sold.
Does anyone know?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #176 on: 27 August, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »
Random supermarket price comparison website suggests the findus crispy pancakes are still sold, just not at Sainsburys: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Frozen_Ready_Meals/Findus_Minced_Beef_Crispy_Pancakes_4_per_pack_230g.html

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #177 on: 27 August, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
You Buggers!   >:(

Now I've had to rush over the road for a tin of heinz spaghetti.
No crispy pancakes to be found, but I think I saved the situation with a pair of Tillman's Cheese and Ham Toast Me!

GITS!

I'm not sure how it's going to go with the glass of whisky I've poured.  Perfectly, I would imagine.  :D

:P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #178 on: 27 August, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
MMMMM.
The spaghetti was heavenly - it's been years since I had that. 

Sorry to say that I won't be repeating the toasties again.  They ticked the "naff" box, but failed to tick the "edible" box.  (Even so, I gave them every chance by eating both of them)

Think I'll need to cleanse my palate with more whisky(s)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #179 on: 27 August, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
Random supermarket price comparison website suggests the findus crispy pancakes are still sold, just not at Sainsburys: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Frozen_Ready_Meals/Findus_Minced_Beef_Crispy_Pancakes_4_per_pack_230g.html

Thank you.
David occasionally wanders off to ASDA and I'll suggest he buy some if he CBA, which is doubtful.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #180 on: 27 August, 2013, 10:15:36 pm »
I could do cheesy crispy pancakes, potato waffles ('they're waffly versatile!'), and tinned mushy peas. I've not seen cheesy crispy pancakes for decades. The minced beef ones were the nicest, though. I remember the filling being hotter than the core of a Japanese nuclear reactor (and probably about as healthy).
The beef ones were horrible. Chicken and mushroom were the best ones, then the cheese ones. Ideally with crinkle cut frozen chips, and Heinz beans.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #181 on: 28 August, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »
There's no need for me to go through this thread's history as it's pretty much guaranteed that I will have eaten and enjoyed all your guilty pleasures and can call them my own as well.

And herein lies the problem.  I have felt the need to lose weight for some months but it hasn't happened.  Therefore, for the first time in my life, I am going to have to start dieting.  Given my love of naff food (and drink) I believe I have a challenge on my hands.  Bugger.

I very much enjoyed my McDonald's breakfast this morning (sausage and egg McMuffin, hashbrown and a latte)  I appreciate my actions are at odds with the text I highlighted above.  I could offer some justifications but clearly that would be pathetic.

Trying must be harder or else nothing will be achieved  :D

Ruth

« Reply #182 on: 28 August, 2013, 02:52:02 pm »
There's no need for me to go through this thread's history as it's pretty much guaranteed that I will have eaten and enjoyed all your guilty pleasures and can call them my own as well.

And herein lies the problem.  I have felt the need to lose weight for some months but it hasn't happened.  Therefore, for the first time in my life, I am going to have to start dieting.  Given my love of naff food (and drink) I believe I have a challenge on my hands.  Bugger.

I very much enjoyed my McDonald's breakfast this morning (sausage and egg McMuffin, hashbrown and a latte)  I appreciate my actions are at odds with the text I highlighted above.  I could offer some justifications but clearly that would be pathetic.

Trying must be harder or else nothing will be achieved  :D

McDonalds breakfast for two this morning in Toronto.  Nom.   ;D ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #183 on: 28 August, 2013, 02:58:51 pm »
At least I didn't eat two McD breakfasts!!!

(Only teasing, I know you didn't either  :-* )

Ruth

« Reply #184 on: 28 August, 2013, 03:07:51 pm »
At least I didn't eat two McD breakfasts!!!

(Only teasing, I know you didn't either  :-* )

Heh, if nobody was watching I probly would've.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #185 on: 28 August, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
 ;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #186 on: 28 August, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »
I wonder what Heinz beans and Heinz spaghetti would be like if the tomato sauces were swapped.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

ian

« Reply #187 on: 28 August, 2013, 05:19:17 pm »
I could do cheesy crispy pancakes, potato waffles ('they're waffly versatile!'), and tinned mushy peas. I've not seen cheesy crispy pancakes for decades. The minced beef ones were the nicest, though. I remember the filling being hotter than the core of a Japanese nuclear reactor (and probably about as healthy).
The beef ones were horrible. Chicken and mushroom were the best ones, then the cheese ones. Ideally with crinkle cut frozen chips, and Heinz beans.

The problem with chicken and mushroom combos is that they always trigger the vomitometer. The minced beef was splendid because through some elemental process the Findus scientists had managed to blast a cow into the smallest pieces of mince ever. It was like subatomic mince. I think that if you took all the mince from every beef crispy pancake ever made, you could probably reconstitute a mouse-sized cow (ok, probably a very small horse). Which would, of course, be pretty cool. The mouse-cow (or the morse). Perfect for small appetites.

Sadly not available in Waitrose (presumably because they don't have a fancy flavour, like Heston's Fruitbat & Gorgonzola). I'm just too posh these days.

Reminds me, the last time I visited my family we thought my dad was having a heart attack (in Frankie & Benny's, just in case you really thought I was posh). Turns out he'd tasted rocket for the first time and I think, safe to say, that he didn't like it. He's also worse than Dracula about garlic.

Hillbilly

« Reply #188 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »
Pop Tarts.  How I love thee (I'm salivating posting this picture...)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #189 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:35:39 pm »
A quick discussion about crispy pancakes at work confirms that most people's favourite are the cheese ones, and nobody likes the mince ones. Other responses included "my favourite is blueberry"  ??? and "what are they? are they like crepes?"
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #190 on: 29 August, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »
Findus crispy pancakes reminds me of Saturday night dinners while watching the A-team, or perhaps Robin of Sherwood, The Dukes of Hazard or Wonder Woman.

I think I've just dated myself . . . .
Owner of a languishing Langster

Oscar's dad

« Reply #191 on: 30 August, 2013, 07:44:51 am »
Findus crispy pancakes reminds me of Saturday night dinners while watching the A-team, or perhaps Robin of Sherwood, The Dukes of Hazard or Wonder Woman.

I think I've just dated myself . . . .

I have fond memories too, they don't make telly like that anymore.  We also used to enjoy "Jim'll Fix It"; little did we know - innocent times .  We used to watch these shows whilst having a "trolley tea".  This would only happen on a Saturday tea time and consisting of my mum serving tea (often teacakes, crumpets or cheese on toast if we were lucky) from a trolley in the lounge whilst we watched the telly.  This was the only time we ate in front of the telly.