Author Topic: Wowbagger's weightlifting  (Read 15534 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Wowbagger's weightlifting
« Reply #50 on: 12 October, 2022, 08:05:12 am »
I have the dreaded DOMS this morning. Monday’s session seemed to be tougher than usual. I suppose the pièce de résistance was 4 sets of 8 deadlifts, 55kg. My thighs are currently objecting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #51 on: 19 October, 2022, 04:46:29 pm »
Good on you, sir. Keep on going.   I am going to have to start a gym next year once I am back from my holiday.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 07 November, 2022, 06:33:24 pm »
Reps dead-lifting 60kg today. Firstly, a set of 40kg lifts as a warm-up, then 3 sets of 6 with 60kg. First time I've lifted that on a straight bar. I've lifted 65kg with a "hex" bar.

« Reply #53 on: 07 November, 2022, 09:25:21 pm »
Well done.  I am there tomorrow morning.

« Reply #54 on: 08 November, 2022, 07:21:49 pm »
Didn't feel my legs were at there best today so thankfully it was high reps/low weights.  Arms are still killing me as we are on a series of work to failure sessions.  However I finally got my push press coordination worked out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 21 November, 2022, 09:34:22 pm »
3 * 12 50kg deadlifts today. I found the hardest bit was towards the end of the second set when my grip on the bar was weakening. My Man advised a "cross-grip" in which my left hand faced one way, my right hand the other. This means that the bar can't roll and weaken the grip in the same way. It worked.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 06 December, 2022, 07:56:16 pm »
I did some clean & jerk today. It seems there's some technique to this with which I struggled. 25kg. Hard work.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #57 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:00:39 pm »
I did some clean & jerk today. It seems there's some technique to this with which I struggled. 25kg. Hard work.

More of the same today, with 30kg. Beginning to get the technique.

Also, balance work. So many old buggers struggle with balance that My Man tends to concentrate on it. I spent quite some time on a maze balance board today. Quite difficult.

« Reply #58 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:08:00 pm »
I am in again tomorrow for an early 07:30 session.

Last couple of weeks have been volume so I suspect that tomorrow will be heavy!  Tomorrow night I will probably hurt!

« Reply #59 on: 13 December, 2022, 12:23:25 am »

Olympic weightlifting is far more technical than most people appreciate.
It'll do wonders for you ability to accelerate on the bike

« Reply #60 on: 13 December, 2022, 03:26:49 pm »
Lots of sets with descending values intervals today for both legs and arms. Definitely seeing improvement, most markedly in my left arm which has always been weak since the clavicle fracture.
A very enjoyable session.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 19 December, 2022, 07:19:51 pm »
35kg clean & jerk today after warming up on 30kg. I seem to be improving.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #62 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:44:24 am »
Lots of repetition clean & press with 25kg this morning, concentrating on technique. My Man opined that I could probably aim for 40 or 45kg.

« Reply #63 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:53:37 am »
How is it going Wow?
My man has been off or I have been absent since just before Christmas so I have had to do it on my own.  Peloton strength closes are motivating with less rest and more reps but I have definitely seen an increase in muscle bulk around my upper arms and chest.  Just wish I had measured them back in June when I started.  Still not sure I like single lead deadlifts.  Quite a lot of pressure on the back but gradually improving.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #64 on: 31 January, 2023, 12:14:11 pm »
I didn't do quite so much in the way of barbell weights yesterday - 10 reps of 40kg deadlifts as part of one set of exercises. I did some with the weights machine, pulling a cable. I find my left shoulder has a considerable weakness - it's often the cause of me waking up in the night with an "Ow! Ow! Ow!" but I have no recollection of ever injuring it. Just wear and tear I suppose, and my right arm finds too easy what my left struggles to lift.

The previous week he had me working on technique with clean & jerk. 25 or 30kg - can't remember. I think he's aiming to get me up to about 40kg eventually, but doesn't want to overdo it because of age / cardiovascular history.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #65 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:55:27 pm »
A fair few deadlifts today: 8 reps of 45kg, 6 of 55kg and 4 of 65kg, two sets. Also, repeated shoulder presses with 20kg. Quite hard work, but I rather enjoy the weights side. I don't know why, but I'm a lot more interested in the amount I lift rather than, say, the cardio sets when I do x number of "crunchies" in 30 seconds.

« Reply #66 on: 13 February, 2023, 07:08:15 pm »
Interesting.  I am back in tomorrow.  He has been off having surgery himself.  I have said I want to step down the weight a bit and spend sometime on my technique.  I have done a lot of core since Christmas and I am aware that I really have not learnt to "set" my core when lifting.  I think if I do not do it now I will hurt myself down the road.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 20 March, 2023, 07:47:23 pm »
Back at it today after taking two weeks off. Fairly gentle session by some standards.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 26 June, 2023, 02:34:46 pm »
My Man had Something Special planned for my birthday.

6.9 sets of these 7 exercises
Knee press ups 69
Punches 3kg in hand 69
8kg bicep curls 69
40kg deadlifts 69
Seated banded hamstring curls 69
Supine cycles 69
Slam balls 62

I got through that lot in 1 hour. Knackered, I was. The only concession he made was to reduce the weight of the slam ball from 15kg to 10kg for the last 15 reps.

« Reply #69 on: 26 June, 2023, 02:54:38 pm »
This means that during our next group camping weekend he'll be strutting around the campsite in a pair of budgie smugglers to show off his physique......  :jurek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUfg3uCBbg

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #70 on: 26 June, 2023, 03:35:14 pm »
Cairngorm bothy in February?  We'll avoid the midges...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #71 on: 21 August, 2023, 05:26:37 pm »
Today was a Murph Challenge - or a cut-down variety of, as suited to a Gentleman of Gently Advancing Years.

The two exercises which I really find a problem are on the spot jumping and squats, during which I have to touch a low box with my arse and then stand up again. Really does things to the quads. I was supposed to complete 100 each of these during the session, and I think I managed 75 of each. Other stuff I did complete: pull-up variants using a weights machine rather than my own body weight; box press-ups; something involving weights, lying on my back on a bench and spreading my arms, a dumb-bell in each hand. I wish I could remember the technical names for these things.

Since the torture on my birthday, I've largely steered clear of deadlifts. I think I exacerbated an ancient back injury and that hasn't really gone, despite being almost 2 months ago.

« Reply #72 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:16:18 am »
something involving weights, lying on my back on a bench and spreading my arms, a dumb-bell in each hand.

Dumbbell fly

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:57:03 am »
That's the thing. You may be surprised to learn that I can't get the dumbbells as low as he can...

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #74 on: 22 August, 2023, 02:07:20 pm »
Today was a Murph Challenge - or a cut-down variety of, as suited to a Gentleman of Gently Advancing Years.

The two exercises which I really find a problem are on the spot jumping and squats, during which I have to touch a low box with my arse and then stand up again. Really does things to the quads. I was supposed to complete 100 each of these during the session, and I think I managed 75 of each. Other stuff I did complete: pull-up variants using a weights machine rather than my own body weight; box press-ups; something involving weights, lying on my back on a bench and spreading my arms, a dumb-bell in each hand. I wish I could remember the technical names for these things.

Since the torture on my birthday, I've largely steered clear of deadlifts. I think I exacerbated an ancient back injury and that hasn't really gone, despite being almost 2 months ago.

that's amazing well done you.